IGNORED

Just got my 800XL and have some very NEWB quesions

1st question - How do you save and load on a tape & disk?

2nd question - How do I format a tape & disk?

1. Since tape doesn't use file names. you have to keep track of the counter number when loading and saving to tape. It is usually a good idea to space programs no less than 5 counts between so you don't accidentally erase something. In basic, the commands are cload and csave. To load, make sure the play button is pressed before typing the command, play & record for csave. Loading a pre-recorded tape program is usually done by turning on the computer with the START key pressed (make sure the PLAY button is pressed on the tape drive). You will hear a buzz. After the buzz, press RETURN. The program will start loading. With a disk in basic, it is LOAD "D1:XXXXXXXX.XXX". Same with SAVE (SAVE "D1:XXXXXXXX.XXX").

2. There is no formatting a tape. You just record to it. If you are using the DOS 2.5 disk I sent, you'll see the format or initialize option in the DOS menu. There should be a format enhanced option also, for formatting in the 1050 enhanced density. With the US Doubler in the drive, you will only get double density with the SpartaDos disk. The command once Sparta is loaded is XINIT. You will have various options to choose from when formatting with Sparta. The USD will also be compatible with any other DOS able to format double density. You will also notice that when loading the Sparta disk, how fast the beeps start going since the disk is formatted with the Ultraspeed Sector Skew (and option in the XINIT command while formatting with SpartaDos). Have fun!!!

Edited by Guitarman