IGNORED

Planet Bob - Playing Legacy of the Ancients (C64)

RSS Bot

Hi there!

Yay, I'm playing another classic RPG!

legacyoftheancients.gif

What you see above is a picture of the brilliant looking dungeons. I was totally puzzled by these, because they are almost realtime. Well, almost - the game is turn based after all. Still, there's no random encounters a la Bard's Tale, the monsters are roaming the dungeons just like you do. Back in the day this must've been very impressive. (Still, only 5 months later came Dungeon Master on the ST, catapulting the whole genre 5 years into the future ;))

What you don't see in the picture is the shocking awfullness that you get on the overworld map, which is looking more like Ultima I. I remember the first time when I tried playing LotA a few years ago, I just quit when seeing that :lol:

The gameplay itself has some differences to usual RPG standards. It's simplified to the basics and thus very beginner friendly. There's no party, you're just a single player. There are no experience points for example. After you complete certain story elements, you get just advanced a level, that's it. Fighting is also very simplified, basically you just hit "F" to operate the weapon you've readied, there's no tactic at all.

There's a couple of mini-games, like Blackjack or one called Flip-Flop. You can also improve your dexterity stat by playing a medieval variant of Space Zap.

Despite the mentioned limitations, the game is still pretty immersing - as you can see I'm typing this the morning after, because I couldn't stop playing last night :lolblue:

So on the first day I've just been exploring the overworld, the musem dungeon you start in and a castle I found. I only stopped near the first dungeon, an old Pirate Cave, because I don't have the dungeon maps printed yet. Thank heavens, so I got at least some sleep ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=4702