IGNORED

Ebay has done it again

pangasinan

Now they are making it compulsory to offer Paypal when selling,this really sucks, this reeks of communism.I usually only accept paypal from overseas buyers.

These changes will be introduced in two stages:

From 21 May you must offer PayPal on all your listings as well as currently permitted payment methods.

From 17 June you will only be able to offer PayPal on your listings and pay on pick up (i.e.paid for when picking up the item).

Pay on pick up can only be offered in conjunction with PayPal. No other payment methods will be permitted.

Here is a more detailed description of what they are doing,but its ok according to ebay it is for the sellers own protection. :roll:

10 April 2008 | 11:05AM EST

We're making it safer for all our members to trade on eBay.com.au. To ensure members use only the most secure payment methods, it will soon be required to offer PayPal on all listings on eBay.com.au.

When will this occur?

Changes will be introduced in two stages:

1. All items listed for sale on eBay.com.au on or after 21 May 2008 must offer PayPal as one of the payment methods.

2. All items appearing on eBay.com.au as of 17 June 2008 must be paid for using one of the following:

1. PayPal

2. Pay on pick up (i.e. paid for when picking up the item)

3. Visa/MasterCard (with transactions processed by PayPal).

No other payment methods will be permitted.

Please note a small number of categories are excluded from these changes. Find out about these exclusions.

Edited by pangasinan

Now they are making it compulsory to offer Paypal when selling,this really sucks, this reeks of communism.I usually only accept paypal from overseas buyers.

Thats the one time where you wouldn't want to take paypal why not from US bidders?

Becaiuse there aren't really any other feasible ways of accepting overseas payments here....

An update on this,i just watched a 10 min segment on the local current affair tv program about this subject.They say people are leaving ebay in droves and that ebay may have underestimated the reaction of ebay members in Australia.It was funny watching the ebay rep trying to justify why they are allowing Paypal as the only method of paying a seller,he was so full of shit.

The program said that ebay are watching the situation carefully before expanding this payment option to the rest of the world...geez the people in Germany are going to be in for a shock, as they hate Paypal.

eBay is messed up, sure, but Paypal has made it alot easier for me to buy overseas, since people from the US don't do bank transfers. Selfishly, I am only afraid that jumping ship from eBay will mean that I won't be able to buy internationally, either because the selling public will be fractionated among various auction sites throughout the world, and that they will sick to the lame bank transfer thing.

Hey, if international sellers want to stick to their countries in the end, I guess they didn't need my business anyway!

If I'm going to give eBay credit for one thing, it's creating a single currency for payment throughout the world. That is no small feat.

Wow, what a bunch of chiselers. There does seem to be rather questionable, considering that PayPal is owned by eBay and that eBay is already charging massive listing fees. Talk about your double dipping.

I don't think this is going to fly in America, though. My understanding is that cash can't be refused for payment by any business. That's why it's called legal tender. I'm not sure if that extends to checks, however.

Just found out the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission)which is the government dept that watches for unfair trade practices is now taking submissions from ebay members and will be looking into whether ebay is breaching any Australian laws and are using unfair trade practices ,which we all know they are doing.

Here is a link to the current affairs segment.

The second link below is very interesting,you got to watch it.

Here is another link to another tv station covering another ebay crisis.

Edited by pangasinan

Wow, what a bunch of chiselers. There does seem to be rather questionable, considering that PayPal is owned by eBay and that eBay is already charging massive listing fees. Talk about your double dipping.

I don't think this is going to fly in America, though. My understanding is that cash can't be refused for payment by any business. That's why it's called legal tender. I'm not sure if that extends to checks, however.

In America, that would violate Sherman Anti-Trust law. No way they could pull it off.

In America, that would violate Sherman Anti-Trust law. No way they could pull it off.

They could roll the PayPal fees into the eBay fees, and then offer PayPal services at no additional cost to customers who use eBay.

Shhhh... stop giving them ideas! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well now the time is here when as a seller i can no longer leave negative feedback to a buyer from any country.

But as a buyer i cant receive neg feedback either from a seller in Australia or USA or any other country that has this policy :) , which is good because im about to neg someone whom i bought a game from over 3 weeks ago,it has not arrived yet and he wont answer my messages,i will give him a couple of days more and if i havent received the game or heard from him then BAM he will get a negative feedback from me,its not worth me putting a claim in with ebay because the total cost i paid was only $6.95.. As of this weekend the same rule will apply in the States.

Well now the time is here when as a seller i can no longer leave negative feedback to a buyer from any country.

But as a buyer i cant receive neg feedback either from a seller in Australia or USA or any other country that has this policy :) , which is good because im about to neg someone whom i bought a game from over 3 weeks ago,it has not arrived yet and he wont answer my messages,i will give him a couple of days more and if i havent received the game or heard from him then BAM he will get a negative feedback from me,its not worth me putting a claim in with ebay because the total cost i paid was only $6.95.. As of this weekend the same rule will apply in the States.

Actually, don't do it just yet. The new feedback policy goes into effect on May 19th. If you leave a neg now, most likely you will be negged back.

Actually, don't do it just yet. The new feedback policy goes into effect on May 19th. If you leave a neg now, most likely you will be negged back.

Actually the seller is in Australia,so i can neg him now...thanks anyway :)