IGNORED

Real Time Clock

pepax

Hi,

I'm looking at Datri's RTC upgrade and I wonder if it is compatible with any other RTCs for Atari (like the R-Time 8 ). Datri made just a single game - JustDigi - which supports his upgrade. The datasheet for the M3002 used in the R-Time 8 is nowhere to be found and I couldn't find even the R-Time's schematics. :( Does anyone have any info on these?

It would be nice to have a real time clock inside my 600XL and actually use it. :) Reproducing the R-Time is nonsense I guess, because of the ancient chip, whereas the RTC72421 is readily available for $5 or so.

Cheers

Pepax

Hi,

I'm looking at Datri's RTC upgrade and I wonder if it is compatible with any other RTCs for Atari (like the R-Time 8 ). Datri made just a single game - JustDigi - which supports his upgrade. The datasheet for the M3002 used in the R-Time 8 is nowhere to be found and I couldn't find even the R-Time's schematics. :( Does anyone have any info on these?

It would be nice to have a real time clock inside my 600XL and actually use it. :) Reproducing the R-Time is nonsense I guess, because of the ancient chip, whereas the RTC72421 is readily available for $5 or so.

Cheers

Pepax

I've been wondering for a while if I could use a Dallas 12887A RTC from an old motherboard.

- Steve Sheppard

AFAIK, all programs [*] that use the Rtime8 do so via the Z: device driver... so you ought to be able to use whatever chip you want, provided you write a Z: handler for it that does the same stuff (presents the same API) as the Rtime8 one does.

[*] All programs except the Z: driver itself!

Try this one: http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/ARC_%28zegar%29 - Atari Real Clock (created by Pasiu) based on the RTC72421 chip.

Hi,

Cheers

Pepax

Back in '87 Guus Assman (who occasionally stops by at AtariAge and at ABBUC) designed 2 RTC's for the XL. One used an Oki MSM5832, the other was built around a Motorola MC146818 (aka the IBM AT's clock/setup IC). Both had NiCad backup.

The circuitry was quite straightforward, so shouldn't be a problem to rebuild. But, as other members pointed out, every bit of hardware is completely useless without suitable software. I vaguely recall Guus published the source for both drivers, so he might still have it at hand. I'll see what I can do.

re-atari

Try this one: http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/ARC_%28zegar%29 - Atari Real Clock (created by Pasiu) based on the RTC72421 chip.

That looks cool. does this have a driver or does it work with the ICD RT8 driver?

SpartaDOS X 4.3x/4.4x supports this clock (the driver is called ARCCLOCK.SYS).

Thanks for the Info Drac030. Do you know if this driver (ARCLOCK.SYS) work with a cartridge version of SpartaDOS X (ver. 4.21)? I think it would be cool to connect this to my exsisting SpartaDOS X Cart.

Do you know if this driver (ARCLOCK.SYS) work with a cartridge version of SpartaDOS X (ver. 4.21)?

I see no objections, i.e. I think it should work without problems. Just get the current version, i.e. the one which can be found on the SpartaDOS X 4.41 cartridge, because any older one will most probably contain bugs that have been fixed before it got incorporated into new SDX.

I see no objections, i.e. I think it should work without problems. Just get the current version, i.e. the one which can be found on the SpartaDOS X 4.41 cartridge, because any older one will most probably contain bugs that have been fixed before it got incorporated into new SDX.

One more question. I have the 4.41 ROM working on Atari800 2.0.3 and a SpartaDOS formated image connected as D1. I can't seem to figure out how to copy ARCCLOCK.SYS to the image from the cartridge?

thanks again.

One more question. I have the 4.41 ROM working on Atari800 2.0.3 and a SpartaDOS formated image connected as D1. I can't seem to figure out how to copy ARCCLOCK.SYS to the image from the cartridge?

thanks again.

To access files on the cartridge, do a "COPY CAR:ARCCLOCK.SYS D1:ARCCLOCK.SYS". This is assuming the emulator works as the real machine does.

Stephen Anderson

To access files on the cartridge, do a "COPY CAR:ARCCLOCK.SYS D1:ARCCLOCK.SYS". This is assuming the emulator works as the real machine does.

Stephen Anderson

I thought that would work too. I tried it but got an error $A1. Of coarse I could not sleep knowing that I should be able to do this, so I dug out my SpartaDOS X Manual and looked up the error. Here is the explanation from the Manual:

SpartaDOS X Supports up to 16 open files, but each driver has its own limitation. The DSK: driver allows you to specify the maximum number of channels open to it (the default is 5 which should be enough for application). The CAR: driver has only 1 channel which means that you may not copy files from CAR: with the COPY command. (COPY uses two channels on the source device and one on the destination. This is because COPY opens one channel to the directory and another to the file to be copied.) To overcome this limitation, you may TYPE the file on CAR: and redirect output to a file on disk (e.g. TYPE CAR:COMMAND.COM >>NEWCOM).

So I used this:

TYPE CAR:ARCCLOCK.SYS >>ARCLOCK

then renamed the file:

D1: RENAME ARCLOCK ARCCLOCK.SYS

And it seems to have worked. It is strange though, I swear I used to use COPY CAR back when I used SpartaDOS X every day. Maybe I am remembering something else.

Thanks for the help Stephen, It may not have worked as we thought but it got me thinking.

You could have done that in one step: TYPE CAR:ARCCLOCK.SYS >>ARCCLOCK.SYS

I was wondering if I could. Thanks. I am a littel rusty on my SpartaDos. BTW, I was checking out SpartaDOS X 4.41 last night in the emulator and I really like it. Nice work to all involved! I don't know if I want to install it internally yet. I will most likely run it from a cartridge.

I swear I used the copy CAR command. Now you have me curious. Time to burn Sparta X and try it - or I won't be able to sleep :)

*** EDIT ***

Well - my memory obviously fails me. Spent quite some time burning SParta X to my 8-Mbit flashcart (Ace-80XL is on the 1Mb). Tried the copy command and got the $A1 error.

Stephen Anderson

Edited by Stephen

was checking out SpartaDOS X 4.41 last night in the emulator and I really like it. Nice work to all involved! I don't know if I want to install it internally yet.

Hopefully you will like the next version (currently under development, but not to be released quickly) yet more. BTW. proposals of new features are welcome too in this topic:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1460486 (not bug reports only).

As for installing it internally, it is certainly more convenient, if the intSDX 128 is flashable. That greatly facilitates upgrades.

Edited by drac030

Hopefully you will like the next version (currently under development, but not to be released quickly) yet more. BTW. proposals of new features are welcome too in this topic:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1460486 (not bug reports only).

As for installing it internally, it is certainly more convenient, if the intSDX 128 is flashable. That greatly facilitates upgrades.

Cool. I will check out the topic if I come up with any ideas.

I do like the idea of it being flashable!