IGNORED

ProSystem Emulator Update?

gstanton

I realize that last post might come off as snippy, but really - I don't mean it that way. (where the hell did that damn Edit Button go?) I would have offered to be a tester a while back, but I don't have a CC2 anymore, so I can't test on real hardware. I can only test in Emulators now. I'm not good with building real carts and don't' have an EPROM burner.

We all really just want to help you, as your game Warbirds, or whatever it ends up becoming, only helps the 7800 homebrew scene in the long run - even if you don't end up releasing it. You just seem really adamant not to want to share anything, and I understand that from a certain point of view...but you've really gotta give a little to get a lot. It almost seems hard to have a conversation about it, because you're very protective of your work (understandably) and that makes for lots of misread statements, and lots of stuff that should evoke a chuckle end up starting an argument. It's too bad. Really, everyone here wants to help anyway they can.

I realize that last post might come off as snippy, but really - I don't mean it that way. (where the hell did that damn Edit Button go?) I would have offered to be a tester a while back, but I don't have a CC2 anymore, so I can't test on real hardware. I can only test in Emulators now. I'm not good with building real carts and don't' have an EPROM burner.

We all really just want to help you, as your game Warbirds, or whatever it ends up becoming, only helps the 7800 homebrew scene in the long run - even if you don't end up releasing it. You just seem really adamant not to want to share anything, and I understand that from a certain point of view...but you've really gotta give a little to get a lot. It almost seems hard to have a conversation about it, because you're very protective of your work (understandably) and that makes for lots of misread statements, and lots of stuff that should evoke a chuckle end up starting an argument. It's too bad. Really, everyone here wants to help anyway they can.

Snippy, impatient, a bit crass and worst of all as if I owe you something.

I guess I come across to you as some one who was born yesterday.

I dont have any 7800 testers. That would require a game to test.

I dont have that. I have demos and protos that will only go as far as

my dev kit allows. Sometimes trying to help can be more annoying

than helpful especially when you have pointed out reasons, reasonble

ones as to why you can't accomodate a certain solution. Yet those

reasons seem to fall on deaf ears(blind reading eyes.)

Why is that you think?

Is it because 'help' is not the real underlying issue? How about the

lack of self control to wait for a possible new game and a

willingness to take to whatever means necessry to obatin that

game well before its worthy of a cart, never mind an emulator?

This is more like how you are coming across in just about every post you

have made to me.

I explained to you my reasons. If that is not good enough for you than

I dont know what to tell you. I dont appologize for them and I certainly

do not appreciate the mis-representation on my intentions.

Im sorry but Im am not too comfortable with people who tend to be TOO

willing. You have made several attempts to get a copy of a bin I don't intend

to give out to anyone outside of my test group.

If your only motive to 'help' is to get a bin copy , Im sorry to have to

disappoint you.

Snippy, impatient, a bit crass and worst of all as if I owe you something.

I guess I come across to you as some one who was born yesterday.

I dont have any 7800 testers. That would require a game to test.

I dont have that. I have demos and protos that will only go as far as

my dev kit allows. Sometimes trying to help can be more annoying

than helpful especially when you have pointed out reasons, reasonble

ones as to why you can't accomodate a certain solution. Yet those

reasons seem to fall on deaf ears(blind reading eyes.)

Why is that you think?

Is it because 'help' is not the real underlying issue? How about the

lack of self control to wait for a possible new game and a

willingness to take to whatever means necessry to obatin that

game well before its worthy of a cart, never mind an emulator?

This is more like how you are coming across in just about every post you

have made to me.

I explained to you my reasons. If that is not good enough for you than

I dont know what to tell you. I dont appologize for them and I certainly

do not appreciate the mis-representation on my intentions.

Im sorry but Im am not too comfortable with people who tend to be TOO

willing. You have made several attempts to get a copy of a bin I don't intend

to give out to anyone outside of my test group.

If your only motive to 'help' is to get a bin copy , Im sorry to have to

disappoint you.

I explained to you how to get the hash values the Prosystem emulator needs to recognize your game, all by yourself. That wasn't selfish, or any underlying "alterior motive" to steal your games.

As a response to this, you chose to lash out and make more nasty comments because you claim it would take up too much HD space.

No I don't have any alterior motives. No I'm not trying to steal your games. I'm sorry you were burned by someone in the Jag scene or where ever, but over here in the 7800 forum there aren't any bad guys, and we don't wear black hats. From the very first second you started posting over here all you've done is accuse people of trying to swindle you.

And I don't appreciate being bitched at and accused of trying to steal you stuff just for trying to help you - for free.

I explained to you how to get the hash values the Prosystem emulator needs to recognize your game, all by yourself. That wasn't selfish, or any underlying "alterior motive" to steal your games.

Um...lie.....you said to give you a rom and you do it for me.

In post # 54 of this thread.

I'll do it for you/teach you how if I can get a bin.

And when I told you a don't do bins...as you did not get that the first time I said it...you replied with...

In post # 56 of this thread.

Well, you need the hash/md5 value from the file to add an entry into the dat file to make it recognize the a78.

and it needs to be an a78 with the header, not just a straight binary file.

I can't give you the proper entry for the prosystem.dat without being able to get the hash/md5 value from the bin/rom, as I'm not psychic.

So I guess you're right.

oh well.

Sure comes across like you were trying hard to get a bin...that was not being helpful,

especially after me telling you I dont give them out.

Try again Space Cadet.

As a response to this, you chose to lash out and make more nasty comments because you claim it would take up too much HD space.

LOL! Lash out ans nasty comments?

Lie #2 or probably better read as a misperception on your part.

You being turned down for a bin is your idea of nasty. As if I don't

even have a right to deny you....for what ver reason.

My reply to you was......In post # 57 of this thread.

Well it will only take me longer to finish which means it will take longer to

be released.

Oh well.

and...after reading along the posts....I thanked yuou....nasty? Not so far.

Then....

So much for that idea...emu7800 requires me to stuff another 100 megs of .NET horsecrap

on my hard drive....I'll find another way I suppose.

The only nasty here is aimed at MS and the need to overfill you HD with stuff I

dont need for anything else. I am not going to waste 100 megs of space just to

find a small key for a 32k rom. Ever hear of efficiency in times of scarcity?

And this was'nt a good enough reason for you...you had to throw another shot

at me as if you would change my mind of something....remember?

In post #73 of this thread?

You're kidding, right?

Who complains about 100 megs of space in 2008?

No I don't have any alterior motives. No I'm not trying to steal your games. I'm sorry you were burned by someone in the Jag scene or where ever, but over here in the 7800 forum there aren't any bad guys, and we don't wear black hats. From the very first second you started posting over here all you've done is accuse people of trying to swindle you.

You really live in a dream world dont you? Go re-read this post agan and see how you like to

twsit me into the bad guy when its you who is clearly the antagonist. The moderator warned you,

not me. Gt a clue. I never called anyone a thief or a bad guy in the 7800 forums. What I did is tell

you that I dont give bins and you have essentially been quite a pain in the ass about it since then.

No reason too good to stop you from pesting me is what I've been seeing. Not one other person here

acted liked you ahve over this so far...not even close.

And I don't appreciate being bitched at and accused of trying to steal you stuff just for trying to help you - for free.

Good then quit imagining it.

Another lie....Never said you were stealing...more like trying to weasel a copy.

I guess you were never told no much in your life, were you?

Um...lie.....you said to give you a rom and you do it for me.

In post # 54 of this thread.

I'll do it for you/teach you how if I can get a bin.

And when I told you a don't do bins...as you did not get that the first time I said it...you replied with...

In post # 56 of this thread.

Well, you need the hash/md5 value from the file to add an entry into the dat file to make it recognize the a78.

and it needs to be an a78 with the header, not just a straight binary file.

I can't give you the proper entry for the prosystem.dat without being able to get the hash/md5 value from the bin/rom, as I'm not psychic.

So I guess you're right.

oh well.

Sure comes across like you were trying hard to get a bin...that was not being helpful,

especially after me telling you I dont give them out.

Try again Space Cadet.

LOL! Lash out ans nasty comments?

Lie #2 or probably better read as a misperception on your part.

You being turned down for a bin is your idea of nasty. As if I don't

even have a right to deny you....for what ver reason.

My reply to you was......In post # 57 of this thread.

Well it will only take me longer to finish which means it will take longer to

be released.

Oh well.

and...after reading along the posts....I thanked yuou....nasty? Not so far.

Then....

So much for that idea...emu7800 requires me to stuff another 100 megs of .NET horsecrap

on my hard drive....I'll find another way I suppose.

The only nasty here is aimed at MS and the need to overfill you HD with stuff I

dont need for anything else. I am not going to waste 100 megs of space just to

find a small key for a 32k rom. Ever hear of efficiency in times of scarcity?

And this was'nt a good enough reason for you...you had to throw another shot

at me as if you would change my mind of something....remember?

In post #73 of this thread?

You're kidding, right?

Who complains about 100 megs of space in 2008?

You really live in a dream world dont you? Go re-read this post agan and see how you like to

twsit me into the bad guy when its you who is clearly the antagonist. The moderator warned you,

not me. Gt a clue. I never called anyone a thief or a bad guy in the 7800 forums. What I did is tell

you that I dont give bins and you have essentially been quite a pain in the ass about it since then.

No reason too good to stop you from pesting me is what I've been seeing. Not one other person here

acted liked you ahve over this so far...not even close.

Good then quit imagining it.

Another lie....Never said you were stealing...more like trying to weasel a copy.

I guess you were never told no much in your life, were you?

Apparently you missed the smiley face when asked for a bin - indicating that I was JOKING with you, because you've been so adamant about not giving out roms.

Whatever. I tried to help you. So did others.

I'm taking the high road. You're not worth my time trying to help you.

Knock it off, both of you. If you want to keep the discussion on the ProSystem emulator, then great. Any further deviances from that topic (especially in the form of arguments) will get this thread locked.

Noted.

Sorry for the mess.

One thing I did notice on Prosystem 1.3 on Windows - the attract mode of Beef Drop(final Demo) doesn't play anymore. The game starts and plays ok if you hit the fire button, but the attract mode never comes up. This was working fine in previous versions.

Hey Underball...are there any issues with audio in Prosystem? I can't get audio to work on my PC, but all of my other emu's have sound...I've tried everything I can think of.

I know that part of this last update was fixing the sound not remaining at the sample rate you last chose - but that's stuff in the windows/shell stuff, not changes to the Audio portion of the emulator.

It works ok on mine.

Hey Underball...are there any issues with audio in Prosystem? I can't get audio to work on my PC, but all of my other emu's have sound...I've tried everything I can think of.

I know that part of this last update was fixing the sound not remaining at the sample rate you last chose - but that's stuff in the windows/shell stuff, not changes to the Audio portion of the emulator.

It works ok on mine.

Hmmm. Must be something with me then. I'll keep messing with it.

It works ok on mine.

Hmmm. Must be something with me then. I'll keep messing with it.

It's not just you. Audio is a garbled mess on my computer also. Changing latency settings doesn't help.

(nforce2 integrated audio, 32-bit athlon)

are there any issues with audio in Prosystem?

I can't get audio to work on my PC,

Im liking ProSystemEmu much better for development as I can call it from a '.bat' file from an open folder.

However, it does delay the sound from a '.bat' as it would from a DOS promt. Gotta wonder what's up with

that. MESS is rather bloated and sloppy but it might work better for you.

Edited by Gorf

Hi 2 all! :)

About problems with sound - try test previous versions of ProSystem. If sound will works - at me curve hands... :ponder:

But I don't change sound core.

About calculation of MD5:

I have recompiled last source code, and added one string in Cartridge.cpp

logger_LogInfo("MD5 hash:", cartridge_digest);

Now, emulator itself calculate MD5 (tested on some roms)

[ProSystem.log]

[Fri Dec 19 21:44:53 2008][iNFO ] Opening cartridge file D:\R\ROMS\ATARI\Atari 7800\Good7800_2.04\Basketbrawl (1990) (Atari) (PAL).a78

[Fri Dec 19 21:44:53 2008][iNFO ] MD5 hash: fba002089fcfa176454ab507e0eb76cb

I hope, this function is useful to someone. I to it will take advantage in 2009 when seriously I will be engaged in database Atari 7800. ;-)

Happy New Year to all!! ;)

ProSystem 1.3a

Edited by Leonis

I am sorry, I have forgotten to lay out an source code with last changes.

I promise not to dig any more in the emulator, it passes in illness:)

Version 1.3a (24/12/2008)

* Now, emulator itself calculate MD5 checksum, and write it to "ProSystem.log"

* Modified snapshot engine - screenshots now save to directory "\snap"

ProSystem_13a.zip - Emulator

ProSystem_1_3a_Src.zip - Source Code

I am sorry, I have forgotten to lay out an source code with last changes.

I promise not to dig any more in the emulator, it passes in illness:)

Version 1.3a (24/12/2008)

* Now, emulator itself calculate MD5 checksum, and write it to "ProSystem.log"

* Modified snapshot engine - screenshots now save to directory "\snap"

ProSystem_13a.zip - Emulator

ProSystem_1_3a_Src.zip - Source Code

Thanks! I just started using the emulator (TV is always occupied with kids videos) and have found it very useful! I appreciate your efforts in updating the program : )

• 2 months later...

I've been reading the code the past couple hours, and finally figured out where to fix some simple controller issues that have been bugging me.

However, now I'm not sure if 1 of the issues is actually a bug.

In the emulator, "Button 1" is mapped to the RIGHT button.

"Button 2" maps to the LEFT button.

Is this intentional? Am I the only one who thinks that's backwards?

The other bug is a subtle thing only programmers are likely to notice. That being the legacy 2600 button signal (INPT4) is not emulated correctly when the RIGHT button is pressed.

If there's another version under development by somebody, then I can just post the suggested changes here. I'm working from the 1.3a version posted above.

Minor update:

Controller button 1 is now mapped as the left button, button 2 is the right. (Riot.cpp)

Default keyboard settings for buttons 1/2 edited to match this change. (Input.cpp)

FIXED: right button was not activating the legacy 2600 button signal (Riot.cpp)

added changelog.txt

ProSystem_13b.zip

I have to go out, later tonight I'll post the source version.