IGNORED

Shipping and HANDLING

the.golden.ax

Warning. This is a rant.

Recently, I have begun buying more frequently from eBay. I know that handling is nothing new, but from a logic standpoint I feel that sellers have a responsibility to cover only their costs if they must, and not actually profit from the process. I am much more offended by the purchase of a Lynx game that has a $3.51 s&h fee, when it comes in a regular envelope with a 41 cent stamp slapped on it, than I am with a 7800 console that had $20 s&h when it comes in a box with $14 postage on it. When I mention my dissatisfaction to these sellers in the form of a non-threatening, "its just not right" email, I get the most pathetic justifications. Telling me that I knew the costs up front, is not a justification to to use lousy substandard packing methods, and / or use a lesser method than advertised. One auction said "Priority Mail", I paid $4 shipping. He sent first class with $1.30 postage. When approached, I'm told that first class was faster, and why shouldn't he profit from a flawed postal system, if I get my game just as quickly as I would have via the other method.

I think that I may have some kindred support on my feelings here at AtariAge. I'm new to the forums, and will enjoy watching your take on this subject, though I'm sure it has come up in the past. My next rant will be about the types of materials used, and SMOKE. (Don't type-cast me, I just woke up gumpy today... I don't always complain :) )

the.golden.ax

Warning. This is a rant.

Recently, I have begun buying more frequently from eBay. I know that handling is nothing new, but from a logic standpoint I feel that sellers have a responsibility to cover only their costs if they must, and not actually profit from the process. I am much more offended by the purchase of a Lynx game that has a $3.51 s&h fee, when it comes in a regular envelope with a 41 cent stamp slapped on it, than I am with a 7800 console that had $20 s&h when it comes in a box with $14 postage on it. When I mention my dissatisfaction to these sellers in the form of a non-threatening, "its just not right" email, I get the most pathetic justifications. Telling me that I knew the costs up front, is not a justification to to use lousy substandard packing methods, and / or use a lesser method than advertised. One auction said "Priority Mail", I paid $4 shipping. He sent first class with $1.30 postage. When approached, I'm told that first class was faster, and why shouldn't he profit from a flawed postal system, if I get my game just as quickly as I would have via the other method.

I think that I may have some kindred support on my feelings here at AtariAge. I'm new to the forums, and will enjoy watching your take on this subject, though I'm sure it has come up in the past. My next rant will be about the types of materials used, and SMOKE. (Don't type-cast me, I just woke up gumpy today... I don't always complain :) )

the.golden.ax

Well its not right to put it in a regular envelope. I don't really mind a dollar of 2 because gas prices are so high these days. many people are making trips to the post office just for the auction. now charging 10 bucks for a single game or somethink like that is just insane. Just pay attention to the shipping cost before you bid. There are some out to rip you off.

Don't know about the postal service over there but in the UK more and more are closing every week which leads to queues so it means taking half an hour on a Saturday morning which surely justifies a couple of quid, unfortunately if you don't like the charges then don't bid.

I totally agree with you.

I won something for a buck. It was two small patches. They arrived in a huge mailer envelope that cost me four bucks.

I weighed the patches at the post office and figured it could have arrived in a small envelope for 41 cents or at the most a dollar.

That was another reason I came here. I am still trying to figure out how to sell that kids carts, but when and if I put them on ebay - I want the price of S&H to be exactly what it should be.

don't get me started about shipping, bunch of thieves out there...$5.95 to ship a NIB Lynx game, I asked that it go boxed, the seller writes back and says "that'll be another $1.50, otherwise you get a bubble mailer like all my other satisfied customers"...satisfied my a$$, I'll never buy from that seller again