IGNORED

Anything else I should do to the memory maps on the bB page?

Random Terrain

Before I add the memory maps that batari gave me to the official manual page, does anyone have something more they'd like added to it:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-me...html#memorymaps

I already added colors to the playfield variables of the Standard Kernel Memory Map. Is there anything else you'd like to see done to it or the Multisprite Kernel Memory Map before I move a copy to the official manual page?

Thanks.

Edited by Random Terrain

Before I add the memory maps that batari gave me to the official manual page, does anyone have something more they'd like added to it:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-me...html#memorymaps

I already added colors to the playfield variables of the Standard Kernel Memory Map. is there anything else you'd like to see done to it or the Multisprite Kernel Memory Map before I move a copy to the official manual page?

Thanks.

Not what your asking but I just want to say that I am new to this and have been reading your page. I just want to say thanks for the amount of time and effort you have put into it.

Not what your asking but I just want to say that I am new to this and have been reading your page. I just want to say thanks for the amount of time and effort you have put into it.

About 99.9 percent of what you see is from batari, SeaGtGruff and helpful bB users who spot mistakes and ask for things to be added, so I haven't put that much effort into it, but thanks for the thumbs up. :)

I don't know much about these memory maps, so if anyone has any ideas about adding more colors or some other kind of improvement that will make them easier to use, I hope they'll see this thread and post ideas.

I just a quick question.

$85__player0y

_____objecty

What's objecty?

Maybe batari will see your question. I don't understand most of what is listed.

Also $85. If that's not clear, maybe it should be reformatted like so:

$85 player0y objecty

Sorry, but I'm still confused :?:

So batari thought you were asking about the corresponding number, but you want to know what objecty does, what it means, what it's for? You might want to put more info in your question so he'll know exactly what you're asking.

So batari thought you were asking about the corresponding number, but you want to know what objecty does, what it means, what it's for? You might want to put more info in your question so he'll know exactly what you're asking.

Yes, exactly, all of those things :D

What is it and how is it used?

Yes, exactly, all of those things :D

What is it and how is it used?

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's used anymore. I see it used in an older version of std_overscan.asm, as well as in an older version of multisprite_kernel.asm. (In the standard kernel, the screen-drawing kernel and the overscan routines are in separate files; but in the multisprite kernel, the screen-drawing kernel and the overscan routines are in a single file-- so it looks like it was once used in the overscan routines.)

Note that there are five objects, and their "y" variables are in contiguous locations:

objecty = $85
player0y = $85
player1y = $86
missile1height = $87
missile1y = $88
bally = $89

Edit: Sorry, I didn't spot "missile1height" in there, which negates my previous statement!

That means you could refer to any one of them by referencing "objecty" with an index-- 0 to 4-- as follows (this is from an older version of std_overscan.asm):

Edit: And since missile0y is no longer at $87, this no longer works in version 1.0!

playerset;x: 0=p0, 1=p1, 2=m0, 3=m1, 4=bl
horpos   
  sec
  sta HMCLR 
  sta WSYNC
rept
  sbc #15
  bcs rept
  eor #7   
  asl
  asl
  asl
  asl  
  sta RESP0,x
  sta HMP0,x
  sta WSYNC
  sta HMOVE
  sty objecty,x
  rts

In the preceding section of code, the 6507's X register is used as an index, and has a value of 0 to 4. So in "sta RESP0,x" the value in the X register gets added to the address of RESP0 to reset the horizontal position of one of the objects (0 being player0, 1 being player1, etc.), whereas in "sty objecty,x" the value in the X register gets added to the address of objecty to set the vertical coordinate of the object.

But the bB 1.0 versions of std_overscan.asm and multisprite_kernel.asm don't use objecty anymore.

Michael

Edited by SeaGtGruff