IGNORED

Really obscure consoles

iswitt

What is the most obscure console you own? When I say obscure, I mean systems like the Apple Pippin, Fairchild Channel F, Mattel Hyperscan, Xavix, Sega SG-1000, etc. It's interesting to find those types of systems floating around out there sometimes.

I don't think the Hyperscan is that obscure (yet) but I own one. I also have a Socrates Educational, which fits the bill, though the games aren't much fun. Too much math!

What is the most obscure console you own? When I say obscure, I mean systems like the Apple Pippin, Fairchild Channel F, Mattel Hyperscan, Xavix, Sega SG-1000, etc. It's interesting to find those types of systems floating around out there sometimes.

I added the Hyperscan due to its small number of games available and general lack of advertising. Not many people know it exists, at least who I've talked to. So, since we're on the subject, how is the console? I tossed around the idea of getting one myself.

well, I've got an Action Max around somewhere complete with most of its box. I've never turned it on, and I'll just bet I never will. That's probably my most obscure.

otherwise I have an astrocade, nuon, 3 cybikos, and countless clone and educational consoles/handhelds. It all depends on what's obscure.

Of all my oddballs, I think the cybikos gave me the most fun. I picked a bunch up on clearance for $12 (like 8 of them) and started giving them to people as gifts. The more people you know with a cybiko, the more fun wireless 'intertainment' is.

I see obscure having two possible connotations:

1.Unusual or seldom heard of. Something that might have lacked advertising, or large market appeal.

2.Hard to find, or hard to get due to cult-like status.

While I don't own any of the educational platforms... I would say that the two hardest to obtain that I own are the Vectrex (can we all say bidwar?) and the Odyssey2 (even on ebay, I haven't seen these often, and only once in a second hand store). I have a debugging console of the Sony Playstation, does that count as obscure? The PSX most definitely isn't, but a dev console?

I WANT items like the Channel F, Astrocade, Arcadia 2001, Neo Geo, 3DO, CDi etc.. I like to think that I own a lot of stuff, but not so much stuff that there isn't at least an equal number of systems out there not in my possession.

I added the Hyperscan due to its small number of games available and general lack of advertising. Not many people know it exists, at least who I've talked to. So, since we're on the subject, how is the console? I tossed around the idea of getting one myself.

The games load slow, the graphics are alright if under-implemented as in not enough use of the onboard graphics and little animation. The controllers are not bad as far as controllers go, they didn't make me cramp up much. No more than a SNES pad, probably less. All the games are fighting games that I have played. No platformers (yet). Different groups are showing an interest in homebrewing for it, though it's a slow process. There's a thread all about it if you care to read it: Hyperscan thread.

I guess this is the most obscure console I own, too.

Nathan

My most obscure game consoles, which I may not necessarily find to be so, but will list because others apparently do:

-Fairchild Channel F (original VES, boxed, but not-working...common among Channel Fs)

-Fairchild Channel F System II (mostly works)

-Bally Astrocade/Computer System (works great, thanks jboy :) )

-Odyssey (complete in original box)

-Odyssey 100

-Odyssey 400 (I've also got a 300, but those seem to be dirt common, as pongs go)

-Odyssey 2 (I don't think these are obscure, but to each his own)

-A gaggle of '70s pong units, some of which are relatively unconventional

-Edu Games 2600 (a 2600jr. clone from Argentina...probably common in Argentina, but pretty unusual to find in the U.S.)

-Vectrex

-NES 2 ("Toploader")

I'm not sure if these count, but I've also got:

-Timex/Sinclair TS1000

-Intellivision ECS Computer Adapter

I'm looking for a CD-I. I got one from eBay which, unfortunately, did not work from what it went apparently went through in shipping. But other than that I own a bunch of consoles that aren't really all that obscure. Although, I was able to recently pick up a working Atari 7800 with six games and two controllers from GameSwap in Cincinnati a week or so ago. Not obscure, but I'm definitely proud to own it!

I though I knew my odd video game stuff pretty well, but obviously not. Some of the things you've all listed here are things I've never heard of. Maybe I need to brush up on it a little bit :cool: .

Most obscure? Bally Astrocade and the APF-M1000. The APF-M1000 needs some serious work, but eh, I'll get to it soon. They both work, the wires need resoldered on the APF controllers.

Whoops, forgot the Vectrex, and the Sears Telegames Stunt Cycle!

Edited by keilbaca

I know that some of these are not consoles but I use them mainly for gaming so I feel that they count. ;)

Working Items:

Bally Home Library Computer

Sega 3000

Sony F1XV MSX2+

Tomy Tutor

APF MP-1000

Intellivision ECS

Fairchild Channel F System II

Leisure Vision (Canadian version of the Emerson Arcadia 2001)

Action Max

Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer

Atari XEGS

Commodore C16

Virtual Boy

Vectrex

RCA Studio II

Milton Bradley Microvision

Partially/Non-working:

Sony F1XDJ MSX2+

Amstrad CPC 664

Bally Arcade

Coleco Telstar Arcade

Edited by darthkur

i guess you could say my Sega Teradrive is pretty obscure, even in Japan it is hard to find:

having a large console/handheld/computer collection it's awfully hard to get my attention--but wow, that's a helluva nice looking unit. It's rare to dump a system on me that I have honestly never even heard of before, but it's now pretty close to the top of my must-have list.

286/megadrive eh?

--now this is what I consider multi-tasking!

I seem to recall hearing a little bit about the amstrad one...but that unit doesn't say sega all over it.

Edited by Reaperman

A nice aternative for the Sega Teradrive is the Amstrad Mega PC. Here's a linkAmstrad Mega PC. It was sold at least in England around 1994. I was on a internship in england at that time and did see it at the shops at that time.

If the cd-i is obsure then i got that as a obsure console.

Maybe my vectrex is also part of it.

The videopac G7400 is a console you don't see very often as well.

I also have a radofin tele-sports III

As far as rare, I got two variants of Fairchild systems (that both worked at the last time they were used, almost 20 years ago) I got a Bently Compuvision, which is probably rare, due to it being released mid 80's (I think) and being another pong clone...

Would Wonderswan count? I got one of those kicking around somewhere too.

That's about it, I'm more interested in mainstream stuff that was US releases, cause I'm more interested in playable librarys than rarity.

I've got a lot of obscure consoles, of course, but one of the neatest things I own is a Pioneer LaserActive machine that plays laser discs, cds, Genesis cartridges, and Sega CD games. Picked it up with 8 Sega CD games and 10 laser discs for $20 at a garage sale. Works great.

Edited by 8bitgamer

I dunno....

Sega CDX

JVC X'Eye

Magnavox Odyssey

Magnavox Odyssey^2

Telegames Personal Arcade a.k.a. DINA 2 in One (Plays both Sega SG-1000 and ColecoVision games)

Fairchild Channel F

Tiger R-Zone

Tiger Game.com

Nintendo Virtual Boy

Atari Jaguar (heh)

VM Labs NUON

NES (top loader)

Bally Astrocade

RCA Studio II

GCE Vectrex

SSD Co. XaviXPorT

View-Master InteractiveVision