IGNORED

how can i set up an atari 5200 emulator?

coreysno

it's a total pain in the balls and almost not worth it.

Its not hard Mr. "I own a Atari 5200 and emulators suck!" :roll:

Really all you have to do is put the roms in a folder and the bios in another. When you open the emulator like Atari 800 Win, click on the Atari tab, go to (rom images), click on 5200, and browse for your 5200.rom bios. Then go back to the Atari tab and click "machine type" and make sure its set to 5200. Then go to file and "autoboot image" browse through your rom folder and double click.

it's a total pain in the balls and almost not worth it.

Its not hard Mr. "I own a Atari 5200 and emulators suck!" :roll:

It's harder than probably 90% of the other system emulators out there. It's difficult trying to find the files you need, named correctly, half of the games don't work, there are different cartridge types, etc.

I'm going by the Gp32 version of the emulator though, which is a port, but still. It's more problematic than it's worth in my opinion.

And yes, emulators suck, i'd much rather play the games on actual hardware.

I'll agree its a little harder to get the 5200/8bit emulators up and running, but only because you have to have the bios files.

I agree that playing on the real deal is better, or at least more authentic, but I use the Dreamcast most of the time for my 5200 needs, and it works beautifully.

However, if my 5200 were working (dead 4 port switch box) I'd use that instead.

my GP32 ran all the A800 games perfectly, it only had problems with 5200 games, most of the common games ran perfectly fine.

I tried getting the same emulator, obviously coded for the pocket PC running and couldn't get any games to work. Both Pocket PC and GP32 were ports of the main emulator, but I forget what it's called. It would boot up perfectly fine, I used the same bios files from my GP32, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work. I don't emu on my PC.

It took me many failed and aborted attempts at setting up various Atari 5200 emulators, and finally with a stroke of luck and persistance I got the Atari800Win Plus emulator working. I will admit it's not as easy to use as Stella or the ProSystem emulator but it's a good way of being introduced to the 5200 for a newbie like me. I do think that the tutorial on AtariAge was very very helpful, but it isn't easy. However for some reason I can't get any 5200 Popeye rom to work on the Atari800Win Plus, too bad since it's one of my favorite games and I hear that the 5200 has one of the best home versions. :cool:

I did this dance earlier today...

I'm running the kat5200 one. You download the 5200.rom file elsewhere on this site, rename it 5200.bin, and use it as the OS file, and that was the biggest hurdle for me to figure out. Except I hate the keyboard and I haven't tried a joystick or gamepad yet. I only wanted a 5200 emulator for the Atari II demos anyways (I assume the full Atari 5200 rom is not available as I can't find one).