IGNORED

brittle controllers

Atarifever

So I'm getting a 5200 from someone on the forums here, and so I ordered a gold thingy 5200 from Best Electronics. As it happens, the controller came before the deal on the system was even finished, so I have a controller, with no system to play it on yet. Anyway, I have to say, without having actually used it on a system, I'm a little afraid of this controller. It feels like it could snap off during a game of PacMan. Is it really as brittle as it feels, or does it take a lot of strain well?

So I'm getting a 5200 from someone on the forums here, and so I ordered a gold thingy 5200 from Best Electronics. As it happens, the controller came before the deal on the system was even finished, so I have a controller, with no system to play it on yet. Anyway, I have to say, without having actually used it on a system, I'm a little afraid of this controller. It feels like it could snap off during a game of PacMan. Is it really as brittle as it feels, or does it take a lot of strain well?

Get a WICO! I rebuilt two controllers, but they still dont self center, and thats the problem with them. Try playing Pitfall and stop when ya need to. Or jump on the crocs heads without falling in the water with them. Pacman is ok with them. Any game where you can move freely around the screen like Space Dungeon, Adventure 2, and Robotron work extremely well. But any game that requires finess like jumpman junior sucks! The character keeps falling off the balconies because it wont self center. Some people here think its something you have to get use to. But who wants to concentrate on keeping the controller centered. I just want to play the damn game!

I guess I'm one of the few people who actually likes the stock controllers. I've gotten used to centering them using hand movements. Replacing the rubber boots helps with that too.

NP

The fact they don't self center does not bother me. Its the fire buttons that bother me. Its not just 5200 fire buttons tho. also 7800 and coleco and intellivision all kill my hands

• 2 weeks later...
I guess I'm one of the few people who actually likes the stock controllers. I've gotten used to centering them using hand movements. Replacing the rubber boots helps with that too.

NP

The fact they don't self center does not bother me. Its the fire buttons that bother me. Its not just 5200 fire buttons tho. also 7800 and coleco and intellivision all kill my hands

I do understand where you're coming from. Until you get used to them they can be murder on the thumbs.

NP

I do understand where you're coming from. Until you get used to them they can be murder on the thumbs.

I have not gotten used to them in 20 years so I probably won't. I'll just keep using home built controllers