IGNORED

The Multi-Cart is the goodness

borntorun

My wife recently purchased me a 5200 Multi-Cart, and I gotta say, that thing is worth the price. Being able to play the prototypes, along with the expensive games that I could never afford on my own, is of course the main allure of the Multi-Cart. Also, the 8-Bit conversions are quite well-done. I just have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can obtain alternate controllers for the 5200 for the best price? Games such as Jumpman Jr, are almost unplayable with the standard controller.

2. Where is the best source of information concerning the 8-Bit games which have been converted for the 5200? Obviously, some of them, such as Spy Hunter, Donkey Kong, Up 'N Down, etc. I already know about, but many of the other ones I am unfamiliar with, such as Captain Beeble, Desmond's Dungeon, Pacific Coast Highway, and many other ones.

2. Where is the best source of information concerning the 8-Bit games which have been converted for the 5200? Obviously, some of them, such as Spy Hunter, Donkey Kong, Up 'N Down, etc. I already know about, but many of the other ones I am unfamiliar with, such as Captain Beeble, Desmond's Dungeon, Pacific Coast Highway, and many other ones.

Try the 8-bit software section over at www.atarimania.com.

You will find manual scans for most of the XL games over there.

Steve

The multicart is one of the best buys I've ever done. Now if I could only find the Combat ROM, I would be all set :cool:

As for alternatives to the controllers, I only know of the Wico stick and keypad, but they are far from cheap. SOme folks make their own too. There's a recent post about a Jaguar one around here.

With the list of games you mentioned it sounds like you have the pre-programmed multi-cart. They are great too but not as nice as the programmable ones. Both are fantastic. Now we just need a reverse High-Score-Cart like the 7800 that plugs into the expansion port and some hacked games to use it. :ponder:

Allan

Thanks for the tip- I checked out Atarimania last night and found some good info. and reviews.

Yes, it is pre-programmed, but I'm more than content with it. I barely have enough time to play even 1/4 of the games, much less all of the games that I wish I could spend time on.

All in all, still one of my favorite recent acquisitions.

The multicart is one of the best buys I've ever done. Now if I could only find the Combat ROM, I would be all set :cool:

As for alternatives to the controllers, I only know of the Wico stick and keypad, but they are far from cheap. SOme folks make their own too. There's a recent post about a Jaguar one around here.

The jaguar one is mine but I must say it was a pain in the but to make. I also have posted in here a sega dreamcast controller run thru a pc stick adapter is just as useful and a whole lot easier. or at least a lot less work

• 5 months later...

controller wise I can tell you the WICO sticks RULE! I have a WICO Command Console stick with the Wico Keypad that's schaweeeeet. I got 1 from Ebay with the Wico keypad (the joystick with a Y-Cord - usually included with the stick - works too and allows you to plug in a regular 5200 controller for keypad functions such as START, PAUSE, RESET , number pad, etc). The Keypad looked MINT but the joystick had issues... thank God for "ninermaniac" here in the forums who sold me a mint Wico CC stick to go with my keypad - it works like new and everything is more enjoyable. I also just bought a Wico Competition Pro 5200 stick (with Y-cord too) from another Ebay seller (hasn't arrived yet). The WICO sticks are self-centering too. I may be trading ninermaniac the Competition Pro stick for one of his "custom made" 5200 paddle controllers and I already have a line on another Competition Pro stick for myself. I usually go through and with an eraser and a solution of alchohol & water clean the flex circuits and buttons on the Atari joysticks we have as my wife loves her ORIGINAL 5200 joysticks. Cleaning them makes em work like "butter" again. Just bought one of the WINDOW DEFOGGER REPAIR KITS to use on the 5200 sticks too - the metallic solution in the kit is supposed to work as good as the Gold Fire Button kits - will rebuild a couple tonight (we have about 7 or 8 5200 joysticks) and report back how that works...

• 3 months later...
where can i get one and how does it work?

I been thinking about purchasing the Multi Cart 4jays is selling for 145 bucks

Was also going to send them two of my old broke 5200 Controllers to fix

but after reading this thread I am thinking

should I get a WICO?

Or what is this dreamcast controller trick I have 2 dc controllers

Is it worth fixing the og controllers?

Last question what is the Best Multi Cart to buy ?

should I get a WICO?

I have 3 WICO joysticks with 2 Y-cables and 1 keypad, all came with my system. Totally worth it if you can get a good deal on them. I had my 5200 setup at a convention 2 weekends ago, switching between my WICO joystick/keypad combo and the trac-ball controller for various games was fun and some enjoyed it. It's sad how little appreciation goes into these rigs even with great gameplay is to be had.

should I get a WICO?

I have 3 WICO joysticks with 2 Y-cables and 1 keypad, all came with my system. Totally worth it if you can get a good deal on them. I had my 5200 setup at a convention 2 weekends ago, switching between my WICO joystick/keypad combo and the trac-ball controller for various games was fun and some enjoyed it. It's sad how little appreciation goes into these rigs even with great gameplay is to be had.

Ok you know my next question right .........

Where can I get one?

What's the best source online besides ebay ?

It would be nice to just buy it and not have to bid

should I get a WICO?

Ok you know my next question right .........

Where can I get one?

What's the best source online besides ebay ?

It would be nice to just buy it and not have to bid

I was lucky that a local game store buys bulk eBay and Craigslist goods and has generic prices for items they don't know how to research, like most of Atari. They'll sell a VCS for $80 but the games for $2 loose or $5 complete each. I managed to get my 5200 from one of their bulks in '07 for $50 with several complete games and the WICO stuff. So really your best bet is to keep an eye around eBay for large auctions with nifty golden goods no one else spots, and although it may run you some money up front you can sell off everything you don't want. Also keep eyes open at thrift stores, classic game shops, flea markets, and pawn shops. Craigslist or the classifieds may have game listings for you and contain some fun stuff.

The biggest problem though is I run around to many places when I go game hunting and just randomly find stuff. I don't set my head onto particular items, but do say if I find something desirable that I'll be willing to pay a little extra for it. I rarely buy games online as shipping and global competition drives the price up to where it's infeasible to own all the stuff I have under the budget I allocate my collecting and hobby habits. So if you desperately want a WICO stick expect to pay lots, but if you can hold off you may get lucky one day and get a good deal.

• 3 weeks later...