IGNORED

What is original on the 7800?

DracIsBack

One common criticism that is levied at the 7800 is that there aren't a lot of unique games on the machine. I started thinking that that really is true as most of its games are on other systems or computers. Tramiel was really big into "spreading a license as far as it will go".

Just looking at the library:

• Ace of Aces - On the XEGS and a bunch of computers
  • Alien Brigade - Original
  • Asteroids - On just about every Atari system known to man
  • Ballblazer - on the 5200, XEGS and also on many home computers
  • Barnyard Blaster - On the XE Game System
  • Basketbrawl - On the Lynx
  • Centipede - On most Atari consoles
  • Choplifter! - On the XE Game System and a bunch of computers as well as the Sega Master System
  • Commando - On the 2600, the NES, most computers. Also, a good XEGS version, though it wasn't officially released.
  • Crack'ed - On the ST. I know a 2600 version was planned (according to Atarian) but can't remember if it made it out.
  • Crossbow - On the XEGS
  • Dark Chambers - On the 2600 and XEGS
  • Desert Falcon - On the 2600 and XEGS, though only the 7800 one is any good, IMO
  • Dig Dug - On 2600, 5200, XEGS and computers
  • Donkey Kong - On just about everything under the sun
  • Donkey Kong Junior - Ditto
  • Double Dragon - On 2600, Lynx, SMS, NES and a ton of others.
  • F-18 Hornet - Not sure here. C64 maybe?
  • Fatal Run - On 2600
  • Fight Night - On XEGS and computers
  • Food Fight - Can't remember if this is 7800 exclusive or also on the XEGS.
  • Galaga - On the NES as well
  • Hat Trick - Might be exclusive but that's not saying much.
  • Ikari Warriors - On the 2600 and NES
  • Impossible Mission - Exclusive to Atari systems but it's on the SMS and computers.
  • Jinks - I know there's the XE version that was unreleased. Was this on anything else?
  • Joust - On just about everything.
  • Karateka - On the XEGS and way better there, IMO
  • Kung-Fu Master - On the 2600 and NES
  • Mario Bros - On 2600, 5200, XEGS, NES
  • Mat Mania Challenge - Exclusive to 7800? I know an XE version was planned but don't believe its been found
  • Mean 18 Ultimate Golf - On home computers. XE prototype found.
  • Meltdown - Exclusive to 7800? (I thought a 2600 version was at least planned)
  • Midnight Mutants - Exclusive to 7800 and one of my alltime faves. Interestingly, the box says this was an "SNK" property, which has always puzzled me.
  • Motor Psycho - Exclusive.
  • Ms. Pac-Man - On almost every system under the sun
  • Ninja Golf - Exclusive, though I think the XEGS was also an intended target
  • One-on-One Basketball - On XEGS and computers
  • Pete Rose Baseball - On Atari 2600
  • Planet Smashers - Exclusive
  • Pole Position II - I know the first Pole Position is available on 2600, 5200 and XEGS. Is PPII a 7800 exclusive?
  • Rampage - On 2600, XEGS (in europe), Lynx and almost every console and comptuer imaginable. I even have a Tandy Co Co cartridge (which is better than all the Atari version, IMO)
  • Realsports Baseball - On the 2600 and 5200 (and better on 5200)
  • Robotron: 2084 - On 5200 and (I think) XEGS
  • Scrapyard Dog - On the Lynx
  • Sentinel - On the 2600? I know it was planned but not sure if that got released
  • Summer Games - On 2600 and XEGS as well as computers and NES, SMS
  • Super Huey - Exclusive to Atari 7800 as a console game but is from computers
  • Super Skateboardin' - Exclusive to 7800
  • Tank Command - Exclusive to 7800
  • Title Match Pro Wrestling - on 2600
  • Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator - On 2600 and Commodore 64?
  • Touchdown Football - From computers
  • Tower Toppler - Exclusive to Atari consoles (An XE version was developed but not released) but from computers and on the NES
  • Water Ski - Exclusive
  • Winter Games - On the 2600, NES and computers
  • Xenophobe - On the 2600, Lynx, NES and an XE version was nearly completed
  • Xevious - Exclusive to Atari systems (though 2600 and 5200 prototypes have been found), but also on the NES

I actually was going to do list like this as well but never got around to it. Though I was going to add which ones were originally ports from arcade games as well. I guess laziness paid off for me this time. :D

A couple of comments; Food Fight was indeed released on the XEGS, Cracked was a 2600 proto that has been found, Sentinel was released for the 2600, I believe F-18 is an exclusive and I think the C64 version of Tomcat F-14 is a different game.

Mitch

Keep in mind there is a difference between original and exclusive. Those 7800 titles that later appeared (or were going to appear) on the Lynx I would still count as 7800 originals.

Also, I'd only give computer versions partial credit. I don't consider a computer to be a convenient substitute for a game console. They're largely separate markets.

Unreleased versions shouldn't count at all.

One common criticism that is levied at the 7800 is that there aren't a lot of unique games on the machine. I started thinking that that really is true as most of its games are on other systems or computers. Tramiel was really big into "spreading a license as far as it will go".

Just looking at the library:

• Ace of Aces - On the XEGS and a bunch of computers
  • Alien Brigade - Original
  • Asteroids - On just about every Atari system known to man
  • Ballblazer - on the 5200, XEGS and also on many home computers
  • Barnyard Blaster - On the XE Game System
  • Basketbrawl - On the Lynx
  • Centipede - On most Atari consoles
  • Choplifter! - On the XE Game System and a bunch of computers as well as the Sega Master System
  • Commando - On the 2600, the NES, most computers. Also, a good XEGS version, though it wasn't officially released.
  • Crack'ed - On the ST. I know a 2600 version was planned (according to Atarian) but can't remember if it made it out.
  • Crossbow - On the XEGS
  • Dark Chambers - On the 2600 and XEGS
  • Desert Falcon - On the 2600 and XEGS, though only the 7800 one is any good, IMO
  • Dig Dug - On 2600, 5200, XEGS and computers
  • Donkey Kong - On just about everything under the sun
  • Donkey Kong Junior - Ditto
  • Double Dragon - On 2600, Lynx, SMS, NES and a ton of others.
  • F-18 Hornet - Not sure here. C64 maybe?
  • Fatal Run - On 2600
  • Fight Night - On XEGS and computers
  • Food Fight - Can't remember if this is 7800 exclusive or also on the XEGS.
  • Galaga - On the NES as well
  • Hat Trick - Might be exclusive but that's not saying much.
  • Ikari Warriors - On the 2600 and NES
  • Impossible Mission - Exclusive to Atari systems but it's on the SMS and computers.
  • Jinks - I know there's the XE version that was unreleased. Was this on anything else?
  • Joust - On just about everything.
  • Karateka - On the XEGS and way better there, IMO
  • Kung-Fu Master - On the 2600 and NES
  • Mario Bros - On 2600, 5200, XEGS, NES
  • Mat Mania Challenge - Exclusive to 7800? I know an XE version was planned but don't believe its been found
  • Mean 18 Ultimate Golf - On home computers. XE prototype found.
  • Meltdown - Exclusive to 7800? (I thought a 2600 version was at least planned)
  • Midnight Mutants - Exclusive to 7800 and one of my alltime faves. Interestingly, the box says this was an "SNK" property, which has always puzzled me.
  • Motor Psycho - Exclusive.
  • Ms. Pac-Man - On almost every system under the sun
  • Ninja Golf - Exclusive, though I think the XEGS was also an intended target
  • One-on-One Basketball - On XEGS and computers
  • Pete Rose Baseball - On Atari 2600
  • Planet Smashers - Exclusive
  • Pole Position II - I know the first Pole Position is available on 2600, 5200 and XEGS. Is PPII a 7800 exclusive?
  • Rampage - On 2600, XEGS (in europe), Lynx and almost every console and comptuer imaginable. I even have a Tandy Co Co cartridge (which is better than all the Atari version, IMO)
  • Realsports Baseball - On the 2600 and 5200 (and better on 5200)
  • Robotron: 2084 - On 5200 and (I think) XEGS
  • Scrapyard Dog - On the Lynx
  • Sentinel - On the 2600? I know it was planned but not sure if that got released
  • Summer Games - On 2600 and XEGS as well as computers and NES, SMS
  • Super Huey - Exclusive to Atari 7800 as a console game but is from computers
  • Super Skateboardin' - Exclusive to 7800
  • Tank Command - Exclusive to 7800
  • Title Match Pro Wrestling - on 2600
  • Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator - On 2600 and Commodore 64?
  • Touchdown Football - From computers
  • Tower Toppler - Exclusive to Atari consoles (An XE version was developed but not released) but from computers and on the NES
  • Water Ski - Exclusive
  • Winter Games - On the 2600, NES and computers
  • Xenophobe - On the 2600, Lynx, NES and an XE version was nearly completed
  • Xevious - Exclusive to Atari systems (though 2600 and 5200 prototypes have been found), but also on the NES

Jeez....

You actually typed all that! LOL!

You could have just said the games that were exclusive to the 7800. I have had my 7800 for about 6 months now. I aslo had one back in the 80s before I got a NES. I like some of the arcade ports like 2 player asteroids and centipede. That kind of gameplay was exclusive to the 7800. I would have been fine with updated ports from 2600. Like a 7800 Yars Revenge, Gravitar, or even Combat ( Not the shitty Combat 1990). I am more fond of games like that when playing Atari 7800 or Atari general since I also have a 5200. I really get sick when I see the 7800 ports of Ikari Warriors or Double Dragon, not that the NES Ikari Warriors was much better. Or even that platform game Scrapyard Dog in its attempt to make a Mario like game. Old arcade and 2600 conversions would have been fine with me. The 7800 sound does not bother me either. I kind of like those bleeps and generic 2600 explosion sounds.