IGNORED

The Last Starfighter

Hornpipe2

I played this game years ago (late 1980s) from a disk containing lots of games. No idea where it came from originally, as this disk was a copy. Researching it today I find that this was a prototype cartridge... so I don't know how I got it in disk format. Nevertheless, see attached .obj file if you want to try it out.

LASTSTAR.zip

I played this game years ago (late 1980s) from a disk containing lots of games. No idea where it came from originally, as this disk was a copy. Researching it today I find that this was a prototype cartridge... so I don't know how I got it in disk format. Nevertheless, see attached .obj file if you want to try it out.

As far as I know, The last starfighter game was to complement the movie but for some reason, atari never released it, Maybe because the movie wasn't a very big hit, but it got out through what ever channels were around at the time.

A couple of years latter, atari renamed it to starraiders 2 and added base stations to re fuel and other minor changes.

Energy was only available when ya flew to the sun in the original version. that is still there in SR2 tho it happens a lot quicker.

I personally prefer the original because I played it a lot before SR2 came about.

James

what are the differences of last starfighter 5 versions?

So, "The Last Starfighter" is only prototype to "Star Rider II" game. On atari.online.pl is review of this game: http://atari.online.pl/v01/index.phtml?sub...=2&ct=opisy - and short discussion about it (in Polish only). In there files are some bugs - different in all version. So, You can try it - someone game was crash, sometimes are bugs in gfx... It looks as it is other version of game.

Kind of obvious. The film wasn't the hit it was anticipated to be, and Atari already had sunk a lot of R&D money into it. So rather than releasing it and having to pay Lorimar a commission, they just edited the game.

It is strange that the movie was not the hit they expected but here we are now getting a possible sequel and of course someone making the real arcade game . I remember playing it on my 130XE (which still runs great) I have no idea where it came from I remember we had the Atari club meetings and I think I got it from them.

So, "The Last Starfighter" is only prototype to "Star Rider II" game.

Well, I don't believe so.

Actually, The Last Starfighter came with the movie "Starfight" in the year 1984. You afterplay the "in movie videogame" and the later action in space.

Someone reused the "gameengine" for a Starraiders sequel, giving some more features to the game.

The story I always read was that the game was to be based on the movie, but got pulled. Then later reworked and released as SR II.

Of course, it's another one that was leaked as a fully-fledged game. I can't remember my version ever crashing or having problems.

I kinda prefer it as LS, but that version is too easy since you can just freely move about in orbit of planets, unlike SR II where you always have the forced forward movement.

Does someone has a retail box of The Last Starfighter game?

No.

Does someone has a retail box of Star Raiders II?

Yes.

In fact The Last Starfighter for Atari 8-bit computers was developed but never sold.

Ultimately, the home computer version was retooled, renamed, and released as Star Raiders 2 (Wikipedia).

It is strange that the movie was not the hit they expected but here we are now getting a possible sequel...

This doesn't look too promising...

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0003404/

BTW the whole point is kinda missed. The germ of the original film was to illustrate what could be achieved through the use of CGI effects. Now that everybody is overusing them, it wouldn't make a film unique. Quite the reverse appears to be true at this time.

1984:

"The film used a CRAY computer to shoot all of the space scenes!"

"Cool!"

2008:

"The film uses CGI for everything!"

"What...did SciFi productions make it?"

Edited by Nukey Shay

Does someone has a retail box of The Last Starfighter game?

No.

Does someone has a retail box of Star Raiders II?

Yes.

In fact The Last Starfighter for Atari 8-bit computers was developed but never sold.

Ultimately, the home computer version was retooled, renamed, and released as Star Raiders 2 (Wikipedia).

It was a make it fit type of game from the start since they started designing it before the movie as "Orbiter".

The one I has was definitely TLSF it has the "Greetings Starfighter.. you have been recruited etc.. etc.."