IGNORED

Blue Dragon $19.99

moycon

I just grabbed a copy of this game.

Amazon is currently selling Blue Dragon for $19.99.

This is an RPG from some of the makers of the Final Fantasy games.

I've heard it's a decent game if you like old school turnbased RPGs.

Often times these price drops don't last very long so if you're interested I'd snag one while they are available.

Shame it won't come to the PS3. It looks vaguely interesting. I've heard that it's a bit dull though unless you're a fan of the anime. No idea if that's true.

Tempest

I think why folks said it was dull was because of the old school gameplay. I personally love these types of turn based RPGs but I think it's straight turn based (wait your turn, make your next move) unlike say Eternal Sonata where you could freely run around and attack, or heal, or get in postion for the next round, as long as your time bar remained.

i personally did not like the demo. This is also a game developed from the same guys that do Dragon Ball Z and I cannot stand Dragon Ball Z and there was too much in the characters to remind me of Dragon Ball Z that I couldn't stomach the demo. I wouldn't even accept this game at the price of free.

The demo was horrible and I didnt like it at all. But a friend of mine bought it and told me the demo doesn't do it any justice. I have no idea. I like turn based RPG's too but for some reason the game seems unappealing. I may get it eventually. Undecided.

• 4 months later...

I've been playing Blue Dragon for about 10 hours now (almost to the end of disc one). So far the game has been pretty JRPG generic, but after playing 5 action RPGs in a row, that's not really a bad thing. The graphics are alright, but I'm not seeing anything that couldn't have been done on the PS2 yet (maybe the backgrounds a little higher resolution, but nothing earth shattering). The game also seems really easy so far, but once again that's not a bad thing. I haven't had to spend time on level grinding, which is nice.

I only have one complaint so far, why does the frame rate seem to drop when the shadows use their special skills or do their poses after a battle? It just seems really odd since this is hardly the most graphics intensive game out there, and it doesn't happen all the time. Poor programming?

Tempest

My biggest complaint was the main villian was one of the lamest, weakest characters I think I've ever witnessed.

I recall greatly enjoying the play through however.

The ability to link together fights, including some enemies that hate each other and will fight amongst themselves, it really cool.

You can link together fights in Tales of Vesperia, however the enemies wont ever attack anyone but you.

Such a shame to leave something so simple out.

That said, ToV is still the superior game. It has a much darker storyline and better visuals.

I nearly peed myself when I heard this.

Of course now I can't stop hearing memory of fork and knife when I play a boss battle...

Tempest

Haha Thats classic. And the ending suggests that the pictures were taken by doing an image search on what he thought the lyrics were saying.

I cant say I agree with everything he's hearing though. This is the big inning? Why wouldn't you assume they were saying begining?

I did always figure that song was just nonsense phrases strung tother, like Beck or Red Hot Chili Peppers do when they write songs.

The actual lyrics for those who care:

Fear and awe in your eyes

Showing you what you can't see

Reaching hands, you are blind

Staring down eternity

Without us you can't see now

Searching hands, you are blind

Staring down eternity

Hope, despair in your mind

Prick your hands until they bleed

Showing you what you can't find

Staring through eternity

Hope, despair in your mind

Without us you are free now

Seek now what you cannot find

Staring through eternity

A light shining on my heart

A memory of forgotten love

Rays burning through the clouds

Down from the sky up above

This is the beginning

Here's where it all gets started

Under the sky above

This is the beginning

Here's where it all gets started

Fear what you'll learn to love

This is the beginning

Too late it's all been started

Under the sky above

This is the beginning

Move on now its started

Fear what you'll learn to love

Showing you what you can't see

Reaching hands, you are blind

Staring down eternity

Without us you can't see now

Searching hands, you are blind

Staring down eternity

A light shining on my heart

A memory of forgotten love

Rays burning through the clouds

Down from the sky up above

This is the beginning

Long ago it's all been started

Under the sky above

No time for beginning

Finish what you have started

Fear's what you'll learn to love

I nearly peed myself when I heard this.

Of course now I can't stop hearing memory of fork and knife when I play a boss battle...

Tempest

Ok I listened to that and I started thinking "this sounds like a total cop of Ian Gillan & Deep Purple right down to the voice & keyboards!!" (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXF5rijx0Wg )

..but then I looked a little bit more and found it it IS in fact Ian Gillan :lol: That's great.. I didnt know he was into making video game soundtracks :)