IGNORED

Considering getting into 8-bit

tkarner

I'm a long time Atari player, 2600 and 7800. I'm considering getting into the 8 bit scene. My main interest is purely gaming, mainly the arcade classics. So an XEGS would probably suffice. Are there any compelling reasons for me to get an 8 bit machine? I guess what I'm asking is, are there any must-have classic arcade games available for the 8 bit systems that fill a gap in the 2600/7800 libraries? (A database similar to what AA has for the consoles would be helpful).

Are there any compelling reasons for me to get an 8 bit machine? I guess what I'm asking is, are there any must-have classic arcade games available for the 8 bit systems that fill a gap in the 2600/7800 libraries?

Arcade classics for the A8:

Defender (much better than 2600, natch :D)

Donkey Kong (much better than either 2600 or 7800)

Mr. Do!

Pac-Man

Arkanoid

Galaxian

Zaxxon

Qix

(A database similar to what AA has for the consoles would be helpful).

Besides those mentioned above, there's also...http://www.atariage.com/software_list.html?SystemID=800 :ponder:

Jump in, the water is warm!

Like you, I've been a long time Atari fan (mostly the 2600, but I am working on getting the 7800 collection going as well, and I have a handful of 5200 stuff....all fun in my eyes.), and have decided to get some software for my computers (had them for years, but they've always been bosed away...). So far, I cannot say that I have any regrets about this. I even took an extra step and bought an XEGS, just for the hell of it.

I find the 8 bit Atari computers interesting, and from my perspective, strangely overlooked despite the fact that they seem to be a great platform, probably one of the best, given their respective release dates.

The Atari 8-bit Donkey Kong is the best Ive played, & that includes the Colecovision & NES carts. (Neither have the cement/pie factory level.)

There are lots of games I love on 8 bits which for me is an xegs.

bluemax

deluxe invaders

space invaders

qix

archon

defender

and a lot of others I can't think of right now. worth the money to me.

forgot about the built in missile command is good also

Edited by midnight8

The Donkey Kong for the 8-bits is the best version, it has all four boards and plays so smoothly.

The Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Defender, Zaxxon, and Joust are all excellent. Pole Position looks a lot like the 2600 version, but plays better than the 2600 or 7800 (PPII) versions.

Plus there are tons of other arcade games, like Apple Panic (arcade Space Panic) that just don't exist on the 2600 or 7800. And there are many, many arcade style games like Lode Runner, Miner 2049er, and Blue Max that you can't find on a 2600 or 7800.

I love the 2600 and 7800, but the 8-bits are worth checking out for the fun and the variety of the games.

Thanks for the replies. Some of those arcade game ports look good. Also noticed Millipede and Zaxxon, those are missing in the 7800 library. Among non-arcade games, I like the 8 bit version of HERO.

Besides those mentioned above, there's also...http://www.atariage.com/software_list.html?SystemID=800 :ponder:

That's what I was looking for. Question, how do you access it without entering that url? I mean, the AA home page only has links for 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, and Jaguar. Where did I miss the 800/XL/XE link?

That's what I was wondering! Though I printed it out and now have a hard copy for cart hunting.

It's a special secret link :twisted:

actually I think it is an abandoned project as Atarimania took over, but the info is kept online

That's what I was wondering! Though I printed it out and now have a hard copy for cart hunting.

It's a special secret link :twisted:

actually I think it is an abandoned project as Atarimania took over, but the info is kept online

I think it is a project that Al would go further with if he had 48 hours in a day. :D

I don't think Atarimania took over; similarly, the 2600 section of AA and the 2600 section in Atarimania are complements to some extent. ;)

Getting back to your original question - the 7800 arcade ports are, at least graphically, just as good or better than the 8-bit arcade ports. The 7800 just doesn't have a very big library. The 2600 has a big library but, in almost all cases, the 8-bit arcade ports will look and sound much better. For which is better in terms of gameplay, you've gotta go case by case.

Adding to the list of arcade classics that either are not on the 2600/7800 or are much better:

Battlezone

Congo Bongo

Crystal Castles

Espial

Frogger II: Threeedeep

Gorf

Gyruss

Jungle Hunt

Pengo

Springer

Super Zaxxon

Edited by vdub_bobby

Some of my fav 8 bit game are less known than the array of arcade ports.

I like

Miner 2049er

M.U.L.E.

Beach Head II

NYC although I had to use the translator disk on that one.

Although Joust will always be a fav for me as it was the first game I purchased for my Atari 130XE.

There's another cartidge list at the web address------"my.execpc.com/~krieg/links/8bit.carts"

which can also be found by googling "cartridge list for classic atari 800" or "andrew krieg cart list".

Happy cart hunting.

Also, there's tons of people who can tell you about Atari Max, which makes cables and blank carts that can be used to make your own carts.

And there's a bunch of vendors who still sell disks for the 8bits.

Also, there's Atari Age's store, which has the homebrews Castle Crisis and Beef Drop (Both great arcade ports!).

Edited by littleman jack

There's another cartidge list at the web address------"my.execpc.com/~krieg/links/8bit.carts"

Krieg's list is well out of date now. Unfortunately, the list of AA member Callipygous is currently offline, as he's busy with real life just now.

Although I'm biased about it, Atarimania is the best reference for A8 stuff at present.

BTW - please don't confuse rarity with value. Some of the very rarest A8 software has sold for buttons on ebay. Demand is as important as supply.

Get what you want for yourself, and pay what it's worth to you.