IGNORED

What are some good Atari 7800 games?

Ferret75

Well, you need a lot more than 4 to get the best out of the system but some commons to get you started would be

Ms Pac Man

Asteroids

Joust

Centipede

Space Duel

Food Fight

Ballblazer

Poll Position II

And if you can afford it, some Homebrews from the AA store

Space Duel

Pac Man Collection

Bonq

It may be worth your while to put a wanted add in the Marketplace forum, or if you are in the UK I can sort you out some games.

Edited by mimo

I agree with mimo's post. All those games are excellent, especially Pac-Man Collection and Centipede (you can play two players at the same time/same screen).

Plus I'd add the homebrew Beef Drop (really impressive), and Choplifter (difficult but fun).

And there is quite a following for the adventure Midnight Mutants.

Klax is a blast. Ikari Warriors is great. Commando and Ballblazer have the Pokey chip, so it's nice to hear what the system can do soundwise, plus they are both great games. You gotta try at least one light gun game, I would recommend Crossbow. I still think the version of Xevious is great, no matter what people say. Beef Drop and Bonq are right on, as well as the Pac Man Collection. You might be better off asking what games NOT to get. Like Mat Mania Challenge, Cracked, Fight Night, any of the flight simulators (boring), and Tank Command. Cousin Vinnie can tell you more about what games completely suck, he is usually right on with his reviews, for the most part.

Pac-Man Collection is the best 7800 game period. There is nothing that even holds a candle to it.

Now that is an opinion! I get kind of bored of eating dots and running from ghost after about 15 min. But that me... I honestly dont have a favorite on the 7800. Maybe if they had Adventure 3 on the 7800. I kind of like the 2 player Asteroids and Centipede! Save Maria is good. I guess it can be counted as a 7800 game since according to Video 61 they could not get it to run naturally on a 2600, but on a 7800.