IGNORED

Newport Controls joysticks

Fletch

It does really have an arcade feel to it. I just played Pac-Man with one of these and it was quite responsive. The housing feels a bit thick for my liking though. Its probably twice as thick as the standard CX-40.

Its really rather well built, just nothing to look at. It reminds me of a saying my brother had about most guys' prom dates, "Ugly, but functional."

Looks "arcadey" in it's parts/construction.

Although that fire button looks kinda small - but then again I'm used to the old Wico.

Continuing my search through my Craigslist boxes I found two joysticks by Newport Controls. Very odd feeling controllers that look like they were made from spare parts from Radio Shack.

Anybody have these?

I have one. From 1984 (or so) until 2006 it's the only joystick I used. The actual stick is that good. Much better than a Competition Pro, IMO. The Newport Design (as I remember the name) just shines in Pac-Man type games. Unfortunately, the stiff button and shape make it uncomfortable unless you hold it down on a table. Used that way it's pretty decent.

Never owned a Wico. I suspect it's probably a much better all-round joystick than the Newport Design.

These days I mostly use a Competition Pro (because I don't exactly have a desk for the Atari upon which I can set the Newport Design).

- Steve Sheppard