IGNORED

What type of paint to use on XL hardware, also another Q inside.

Ross PK

I guess this should be posted in the restoration topic, but I'm worried not many people will see this.

So I want to restore my 800XL. The cream colour has yellowed and I'd like to paint it it's original colour again.

Anyone know of anywhere where I could get cream colour paint that's just like the cream on an XL for plastic?

The white lettering on the keys has also faded, I'm not sure if there is a better method of trying to restoring them other than having a really steady hand and painting them white with a really thin brush.

Also, should I remove the plastic covering over the badge? It's bubbled a little and the corner is peeling off, which adds to making my 800XL look tatty, I'm worried that it may be there to protect the lettering though.

If I do restore it, I will video it for Youtube.

Thanks.

Already have plans for fixing up the original XE joystick, it has no rubber over the stick so I'm going to try and make a replacement with polystyrene, liquid rubber, and then paint it black, I may also paint the rest of the joystick silver.

Edited by Ross PK

The best paint is supposed to be Krylon fusion for plastics, the paint bonds to the plastic, and they have a couple of shades that may be ok for Atari Use, but I only found one distributer in the UK, and they will only send by special courier which made it very expensive.

I may look into it again though to paint my very yellow 400 and 800

Linky-poo to manufacturers web shite

Sorry can't remember who stocked it in the UK, it was a bit of a hit and miss with Google IIRC

Other alternative is lots of thin layers of Plasticote (B+Q do it) but it will probably wear off after a while

Edited by mimo