IGNORED

Infocom Games You've Beaten

We've all played Infocom text adventures in our youth, but how many have you actually beaten? Which ones did you think were really easy and which ones did you find impossibly hard? What was your favorite?

Here are the Infocom games I've beaten:

Zork I

Zork II

Zork III

Beyond Zork (my favorite)

Zork Zero

Enchanter

Sorcerer

Spellbreaker

Leather Goddesses of Phobos

Planetfall

Stationfall (once long ago)

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Infidel

Hollywood Hijinx

Bureacracy

The Lurking Horror

Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It

Arthur

Shogun

Journey

Battletech: The Cresent Hawk's Inception

Zork: Grand Inquisitor

Hardest: Bureacracy (Spellbreaker is a close second)

Easiest: Enchanter

Favorite: Beyond Zork

Tempest

Zork I

Zork II

Zork III

Enchanter

Sorcerer (Most... loved this game)

Planetfall

Granted had some help in these in suggestions from friends, books, etc.

The Zork series to me was equal to the Harry Potter fandom in kids today. Really inspired my interest in fantasy/adventure.

The gateway game to Dungeons&Dragons, Amtgard (live action), reading the Myth Adventures series by Robert Asprin.. oh the evils that game spawned... :P (Speaking like my church back in the 80's with the D&D scare...) :D

So Tempest, you've never beaten Leather Goddesses of Phobos? ;)

By the way, *anyone* on this thread who hasn't played our own Chris++ 's Infocom-style text adventure, called "Fork" is missing out:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117600

Well, I guess the humor would be understood by anyone who likes old video games, but some of the inside jokes will be gotten mostly by the collectors here, I think. (I did consider writing one that actually featured the AA "characters" themselves, but I was afraid I'd accidentally leave out a couple people and hurt their feelings.) If you have no idea about classic games, it's hopefully an entertaining adventure anyway.

Please enjoy Fork: The Great Underground Dining Room. Anyone who wouldn't mind giving it a shot has my appreciation.

Included in this compressed folder are two files: Fork itself, plus the .exe needed to run it -- the interpreter called WinFrotz. Just select "Open new story," highlight Fork and click "Open." (Double-clicking sometimes triggers the "Hit any key" prompt that scrolls to the end of the intro, unfortunately.)

Assuming the settings have saved along with WinFrotz, I've configured the foreground & background colors to look like the C-64 screen, because I'm an Infocom fetishist that way; but it's pretty obvious how to change them on the interface at the top.

http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/server/2990/Fork.zip

Thanks for trying it out!

I finished it and highly recommend it!

Battletech: The Cresent Hawk's Inception

Zork I

THGTTG

Hollywood Hi-Jinks

Plundered Hearts

Ciruit's Edge

Mines of Titan

Foobliztky (with friends)

Return to Zork

Zork the undiscovered Underground

Gamma Force

Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2

Just in the middle of playing Zork Grand Inquisitor

Edited by thomasholzer

Zork I - on my Atari 800

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - on my Atari 800

Return to Zork (video captured / not really text-based) on my Mac

I've got The Lost Treasures of Infocom but haven't revisited any of the games. I've played some of Roberta William's early stuff like Wizard and the Princess and Micro Fun's Death in the Caribbean.

i'm 28 years old and i've never played nor heard of any of those games. When I was in elementary school, Oregon Trail and Number Munchers was the "in" games as far as computer games went. Never had a PC of my own until I got a 486 Packard Bell.

Infocom was huge on Apple ][ though

That's what I played them on. I think I read somewhere that the Apple II and Mac (later on of course) sales were highest followed by PC and Amiga. Oddly I see more Infocom games for the C64 than any other system.

Tempest

i'm 28 years old and i've never played nor heard of any of those games. When I was in elementary school, Oregon Trail and Number Munchers was the "in" games as far as computer games went. Never had a PC of my own until I got a 486 Packard Bell.

Infocom was huge on Apple ][ though

That's what I played them on. I think I read somewhere that the Apple II and Mac (later on of course) sales were highest followed by PC and Amiga. Oddly I see more Infocom games for the C64 than any other system.

Tempest

Hm, I doubt Amiga sales of Infocom titles were higher than C64 or even A8.

I also finished Cornerstone, wasn't much of a game ;-)

cornerstone.sized.jpg

Edited by thomasholzer

The first one I got for my Apple ][ was Deadline. I did beat that one.

Then I got Zork, played it for a little while, and then lost interest in interactive text adventures.

Hm, I doubt Amiga sales of Infocom titles were higher than C64 or even A8.

Well the memo I saw was from the very late 80's, so maybe the C64 had cooled down a bit then? The A8 was mostly dead then as well.

Tempest

No way I can remember all of them but here goes:

BallyHoo

Deadline

Zork I,II,III

Planetfall

Sorcerer

Leather Goddess

One I beat that I can't recall the title of now, had something to do with egypt, pyramids, sand, all that stuff I do believe, God that's been 20yrs ago or more on most of those :)

No way I can remember all of them but here goes:

BallyHoo

Deadline

Zork I,II,III

Planetfall

Sorcerer

Leather Goddess

One I beat that I can't recall the title of now, had something to do with egypt, pyramids, sand, all that stuff I do believe, God that's been 20yrs ago or more on most of those :)

infidel.sized.jpg

Battletech is the only one I've beaten. Despite its flaws, I just loved that game!

The text games I never did get too into. I fooled around with Zork I a fair bit, and got quite far in Hitchhikers but got stymied trying

to get some Tea! I've since learned that you needed to feed the dog near the beginning of the game or you hit a dead end late

in the game so I would've been screwed anyhow! Damn you Douglas Adams!

There was a few others and some non-Infocom text games I got into but essentially Zork and Hitchhikers were the ones I spent

the most time with on my 64. I've been getting more and more interested Infocom and text adventures these past couple months

and I think I will make it a goal this year to finally sit down and conquer Zork!

I once played entirely through Zork I without saving. Why? Because I was writing my own 6809 Infocom Interpreter for the TRS-80 Color Computer (Infocom wouldn't advertise their own for another six months) and I hadn't written the disk routines yet.

Also, in Zork II, there was a "diamond" puzzle in one area, and I actually disassembled the code to figure out how it worked.

Also, in Zork II, there was a "diamond" puzzle in one area, and I actually disassembled the code to figure out how it worked.

The diamond puzzle was in Zork I (I assume you mean the coal in the pressure machine puzzle).

I once played entirely through Zork I without saving. Why? Because I was writing my own 6809 Infocom Interpreter for the TRS-80 Color Computer (Infocom wouldn't advertise their own for another six months) and I hadn't written the disk routines yet.

Really? That's awesome. There's an interesting FAQ on how Radio Shack made Infocom change some of the language in the games by setting something called the "Tandy Bit".

Tempest

Here are the Infocom games I've beaten:

Zork I

Zork II

Zork III

Enchanter

Leather Goddesses of Phobos

Planetfall

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Lurking Horror

Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It

Shogun

Hardest: Bureacracy (I gave up without getting very far), Deadline (haven't finished this one yet either), Arthur, Journey.

Easiest: Leather Goddesses of Phobos

Favorite: Planetfall

I needed a small amount of hint/walkthrough help for each of the three Zorks, Lurking Horror and Shogun. I finished Enchanter and Leather Goddesses without walkthrough help mostly simultaneously with a friend, sometimes playing together at one of our homes, and at other times simply exchanging clues and ideas about possible solutions. Ditto Hitchhiker's Guide, with a different friend who dropped out after about the first half.

Zork I,II,III

Starcross

Witness

Planetfall

Deadline

Enchanter

Sorcerer

Spellbreaker

Infidel

Cutthroats (I know, it hardly counts)

Hitchhikers

Suspect

Hollywood Hijinx

Stationfall

Lurking Horror

First - Witness

Hardest - Starcross

Easiest - Spellbreaker (found this one ridiculously easy - I guess I was in the groove)

Favourite - Planetfall & Infidel