IGNORED

Okay, what the crap is up with ebay!?

shadow460

I tried to snipe a Cross Force game a few minutes ago. As usual, I checked the payment methods, and it says money orders and personal checks are accepted.

I clicked the "Confirm Bid" icon about 20 seconds to the buzzer and it told me that "this seller has set buyer requirements" and that I could not bid because "either you don't have a paypal account or your paypal account is not linked to your ebay account."

I'm thinking why does it matter if I have paypal when I could easily use a money order!? Is it the seller, or is it something ebay is doing?

I'm thinking why does it matter if I have paypal when I could easily use a money order!? Is it the seller, or is it something ebay is doing?
It's an option that a seller must voluntarily select at the time of listing. Bit me about two weeks back; had to (re)link my PayPal account to my eBay account so it wouldn't happen again. In your case, it seems odd the seller would have made the choice that caused grief in the end.

Well, it cost him a bit of cash on the Cross Force game. My snipe was pretty high--definitely more than the game was worth. The proxy bid might have ended up around $5 instead of $1.
Ditto the auction on my side that brought this to my attention, which ended ridiculously low given its contents, so much so that I'm pretty certain I wasn't the only one blocked from bidding and cursing the screen then.

Is it the seller, or is it something ebay is doing?

Sounds like the seller screwed up. There is an option the seller can turn on to restrict bids to those with Paypal accounts linked to their eBay. Sounds like the seller flipped this on, but mistakenly worded the posting to say MOs or POs accepted also.

You might want to send a polite note to the seller - he/she may not realize the problem exists...