IGNORED

NES clone compatibility

I just picked up some NES carts. Gradius and Tengen's After Burner aren't working for me, even after a good cleaning. I have a Yobo NES clone. Since I don't have a real NES I don't know if this is a compatibility issue or if the carts are bad.

After Burner plays music but all I get is a blue screen.

Gradius does nothing, just a silent black screen.

Most nes clones are using a noac chip that does have issues with slowdowns and graphical glitches

not sure on games listed but

tengen gauntlet 1 and 2 dont work

anything mindscape will ethier not load or be heavy glitches in it

Legend of zelda gets corrupted mappers

so hope that helps most nes clones are very problematic do to the noac chip hotglue etc

As I have said, why buy something to play games that aren't designed for it. I never understood the craze for Yobo's, FC Twins and other crap N-O-A-C systems, why not just buy a original NES or a NES 101 Toploader?

It's really simple actually. I was never into Nintendo growing up but my girlfriend found some NES games in her parents' attic, but no console. She wanted to play the games, and I admit to being curious too. So here were our choices as I saw them:

1. Order a shiny new Yobo for $22 online without leaving the comfort of home.

2. Get a real NES from ebay, which may or may not work, for a whole lot more than $22.

3. Search the thrift shops, be forced to mingle with the unwashed inbred masses in the hopes of finding a working NES that doesn't smell like cat piss or have some kid's 20 year old boogers caked in the controllers, all the while hoping my car doesn't get stolen in the kind of neighborhoods where the thrift shops are located...

3. Search the thrift shops, be forced to mingle with the unwashed inbred masses in the hopes of finding a working NES that doesn't smell like cat piss or have some kid's 20 year old boogers caked in the controllers, all the while hoping my car doesn't get stolen in the kind of neighborhoods where the thrift shops are located...

Yes, that reminds me why I don't feel quite so bad that there aren't any 'thrifts' near me. :lol:

be forced to mingle with the unwashed inbred masses in the hopes of finding a working NES that doesn't smell like cat piss or have some kid's 20 year old boogers caked in the controllers, all the while hoping my car doesn't get stolen in the kind of neighborhoods where the thrift shops are located...

wow, that's an attitude I can't say that I appreciate at all.

Edited by Reaperman

As I have said, why buy something to play games that aren't designed for it. I never understood the craze for Yobo's, FC Twins and other crap N-O-A-C systems, why not just buy a original NES or a NES 101 Toploader?

I thinned out my PS2 collection & used the $$$ on a new $30 Yobo- killed 2 birds w/ one stone & likely one of the best buys I ever made. I'd rather have a brand-new inbox system that I break in myself than mess around & take a chance w/ a 20+ yr old used system from God-knows-where/who. (plus it's so cute & tiny!)

Like tkarner above I also missed out on NES, this was a good inexpensive way to see what Ive missed.

BTW my Yobo has performed flawlessly since I bought it last year. It even fell 3 ft onto the floor & kept on ticking.

Edited by RJ

Isnt scared of the thriftstore people ones in my area are kinda nice not at all what they are like up north if you want a flawless working Nes based on if I can find a console shouldnt be to hard I will fix the issues of it and we can work out payment paypal money order etc shouldnt cost more than 22- 25 bucks (only will charge cost of parts to replace and thrift store console buying)..

Me likes Yobo. You'll see lots of trashtalk about nearly everything, those are usu. personal opinions.

There's some harsh things being said on another site about the latest PS2 SNK collection. Personally it's one of the best game collections I've bought.

Edited by RJ

The Yobo was the best of the NES clones until the RetroDuo showed up. The Yobo is a bit cheap on construction, and has standard NOAC issues but it still beats the far more expensive and hyped Generation NEX.

None of them beat a real, NES 101 Toploader. Its not possibly for clone tech to surpass original tech.

None of them beat a real, NES 101 Toploader. Its not possibly for clone tech to surpass original tech.

I thought that the top loader had a problem with lines in the display or something like that. Personally, I use an FC Twin to replace both mys NES & SNES. I have not had any problems with it. I know that some people do not like the FC Twin because it uses SNES style controllers and you cannot play light gun games on it. Since I use an LCD TV, I can't play light gun games anyway so that doesn't bother me.

As for clone tech surpassing original tech; sure it can. If the clone is used as a base for additional development. After all, IBM was left in the dust by those who built IBM compatible computers.

JY

hey!

i go to the thrifts without bathing all the time!

next time i'm there, maybe i'll steal a car

seriously, thrifts rule. all kinds of treasures out there. boogers and all, you can always clean an item up good. in fact, i get a great deal of satisfaction in finding something cool that was previously unwanted, cleaning it up and giving it a good home.

I thought that the top loader had a problem with lines in the display or something like that. Personally, I use an FC Twin to replace both mys NES & SNES. I have not had any problems with it. I know that some people do not like the FC Twin because it uses SNES style controllers and you cannot play light gun games on it. Since I use an LCD TV, I can't play light gun games anyway so that doesn't bother me.

As for clone tech surpassing original tech; sure it can. If the clone is used as a base for additional development. After all, IBM was left in the dust by those who built IBM compatible computers.

JY

Actually, someone once told me that the super scope from SNES will work on FC Twin;

I disagree that clones can surpass originals, but thats fine.

JY

Actually, someone once told me that the super scope from SNES will work on FC Twin;

I disagree that clones can surpass originals, but thats fine.

I apparently misstated about the FC Twin. I meant that you could not play NES light gun games. And as far as the clone issue, by definition a clone can be no better than the original, but like I said, if you use a clone as a starting point for new development. But then it is no longer a true clone.

JY

For me, the problem is that I am not at all mechanically or electronically inclined, in fact I destroy anything that I try to fix, especially when it has small parts. I once tried to disassemble an NES that I bought at a thrift store so I could tighten the pins or push them up or whatever to make it work more reliably. I broke the first little pin-thing and then I couldn't even figure out how to put the thing back together, so I basically ruined it. I did find a garbage pail kids card in there when I took it apart, and that brought back some memories, so it wasn't a total waste. But, I'm just not any good at that kind of stuff, and I never had been, so for me it's a lot easier to just buy a clone. I can deal with what I view as the minor graphical / sound discrepancies that the Yobo has in exchange for it working on the first try with the far majority of my games. And it's relatively cheap, so if it were to break I could buy another one without it being a big deal.

If I were the type of person who could easily disassemble, repair, and reassemble an NES, I would probably do that. Unfortunately, though, I'm not.

I have NES, and I have a handful of clone systems. Each have their own merits, and flaws. Different people like different bits for different reasons.

Hate Yobo? The clone console they made (BTW, the FC Twin is made by Yobo as well)? Or the ompany? I've seen some neat things made by Yobo (aside from clone consoles), two of which were new 72 pin connectors, and another was an FC to NES converter. Though you need a business license to deal with them directly.

• 16 years later...
On 5/22/2008 at 3:35 PM, tkarner said:

It's really simple actually. I was never into Nintendo growing up but my girlfriend found some NES games in her parents' attic, but no console. She wanted to play the games, and I admit to being curious too. So here were our choices as I saw them:

1. Order a shiny new Yobo for $22 online without leaving the comfort of home.

2. Get a real NES from ebay, which may or may not work, for a whole lot more than $22.

Exactly.

Batman Return of the Joker will not work in Yobo, FC Twin, or Retron 5 and it looks brand new. Superman genesis will not work in Atgames, or Retron 5, it looks new too.