IGNORED

Kjmann's RMT Music

Kjmann

Tweaked the main melody in Cybernoid. I think it sounds better now.

Also a new song!

Toobin's title screen music.

Let me know what you all think.

BTW: don't forget to hit refresh on your browsers. otherwise you might not see the updates!

http://webpages.charter.net/windwar/

Quote samurai:

Now it's my turn. :)

I like that Trans Atlantic tune a lot. Good job.

Thanks For The Complement Samurai

Glad You liked it. =)

Edited by kjmann

OK.... the transatlantic tune has some well benefits....

And, the Toobin tune almost sounds correct by notes not by the used pokey sounds.

But, do you really dislike sounding like this:

OK... the "tune" is not finished (remember I am not a musician and the volume has to be corrected on the real thing)...

Emkay,

in the 'cars' tune it worked out right this way, but....in this tune, the gen.2 voice (on 1.79mhz) you are using is still out of tune sometimes.

in fact it should really have a pitchcorrection of $FD instead of $FE. In $FD it is a perfect notation, but then it is not compatible with the other voices (on 15khz) anymore; in technical terms: then it is transposed a fractional note (something smaller than 1/2 note) w.r.t. the rest of the voices. That's why you must use $FE to 'tune' 1.79mhz with other voices.

What really is needed is a new pitchtable for 1.79mhz mode gen.2, but as long as RMT doesn't support user defined pitchtables, this type of music still isn't suitable :(

...so, same old story...

we shouldn't bother anymore trying this style with RMT

as long as there is no 'hardsynth'-tracker, this is useless.

in the 'cars' tune it worked out right this way, but....in this tune, the gen.2 voice (on 1.79mhz) you are using is still out of tune sometimes.

Well... I think it works in cars tune , because the sound is used arpeggio like. It seems, the different clocking compensates the pitch difference. In this tune, the voices are partially played together and partially not.

BTW: I changed the tune a bit and the RMT file is in there..

OK.... the transatlantic tune has some well benefits....

And, the Toobin tune almost sounds correct by notes not by the used pokey sounds.

But, do you really dislike sounding like this:

OK... the "tune" is not finished (remember I am not a musician and the volume has to be corrected on the real thing)...

Emkay,

in fact it should really have a pitchcorrection of $FD instead of $FE. In $FD it is a perfect notation, but then it is not compatible with the other voices (on 15khz) anymore; in technical terms: then it is transposed a fractional note (something smaller than 1/2 note) w.r.t. the rest of the voices. That's why you must use $FE to 'tune' 1.79mhz with other voices.

What really is needed is a new pitchtable for 1.79mhz mode gen.2, but as long as RMT doesn't support user defined pitchtables, this type of music still isn't suitable :(

...so, same old story...

we shouldn't bother anymore trying this style with RMT

as long as there is no 'hardsynth'-tracker, this is useless.

I have to agree with you BRK. The Hardsynth system in RMT is just not accurate enough. it almost always sounds sour.

I have changed the toobin title song and lowered the bass tones. i made it sound a bit smoother i think.

I'll be willing to try hardsynth again sometime when RMT supports it better.

goto my site for the new toobin title song with a better bassline

...I'll be willing to try hardsynth again sometime when RMT supports it better.

that would be cool...but don't expect Raster to make any big changes in RMT engine

but, fortunately Raster is not the only living person that can code a tracker :cool:

(no offense: thumbsup to Raster, as RMT is already a very useful tool, and if there would ever be written a 'hardsynth' tracker, it should be an extension on RMT)

...I'll be willing to try hardsynth again sometime when RMT supports it better.

that would be cool...but don't expect Raster to make any big changes in RMT engine

but, fortunately Raster is not the only living person that can code a tracker :cool:

(no offense: thumbsup to Raster, as RMT is already a very useful tool, and if there would ever be written a 'hardsynth' tracker, it should be an extension on RMT)

Yeah that would be cool. I remember when Chaos Music tracker (was it chaos?) came out. I thought it was cool. but it was hard to use since it was all in German. i couldn't read any of the menu options. and in the US it jumps too much because of the PAL/NTSC difference.

There is still one thing, I cannot understand.

Let's think about a piano. A child that never has hit a piano before , just puts one key and the played note is correct.

The child doesn't know that the note is played correctly. It plays the note correctly, because someone tuned all notes in.

Having a look at your Toobin tune at 64kHz, you already take usage of some arpeggio, to have the correct note.

When I'm making such tunes, I lose focus on the notes. So it is not possible for me, to find the correct pitch values on POKEY.

I think, Raster himself would do "Hardsynth" Enhancements, if some musician makes a very good example of what is possible.

Only "musicians" that don't lose focus on the notes, can build the needed octaves by multiple instruments.

Having a listen to the appended tune, it sound a bit like NES now... perhaps some notes are not correct ;-)

OK. several features are still missing, but the main voice(s) takes a benefit by using 2 channels here.

QUOTE EMKAY:

There is still one thing, I cannot understand.

Let's think about a piano. A child that never has hit a piano before , just puts one key and the played note is correct.

The child doesn't know that the note is played correctly. It plays the note correctly, because someone tuned all notes in.

Having a look at your Toobin tune at 64kHz, you already take usage of some arpeggio, to have the correct note.

No Emkay, I did not use arpeggio for note correction. I used it for style. it's in tune with or without it.

When I'm making such tunes, I lose focus on the notes. So it is not possible for me, to find the correct pitch values on POKEY.

I think, Raster himself would do "Hardsynth" Enhancements, if some musician makes a very good example of what is possible.

Only "musicians" that don't lose focus on the notes, can build the needed octaves by multiple instruments.

Having a listen to the appended tune, it sound a bit like NES now... perhaps some notes are not correct ;-)

OK. several features are still missing, but the main voice(s) takes a benefit by using 2 channels here.

Well, Bottom line here is that i shouldn't have to make 3 or 4 different instruments to keep the damn thing in key. Raster doesn't need peoples help with it. if he wanted to he would work on correcting the problem with the tables. in fact for all we know he could be working on it now.

Hardsynth is not a viable option right now using RMT.

and you know what emkay, YOU are the only one criticizing me and my music. so why don't you lay off dude. I'm proud of my work. I've been a musician for over 20 years. So I don't think I'm doing that bad of a job. I haven't criticized you. so why don't you find someone else to nitpick at.

Edited by kjmann

and you know what emkay, YOU are the only one criticizing me and my music. so why don't you lay off dude. I'm proud of my work. I've been a musician for over 20 years. So I don't think I'm doing that bad of a job. I haven't criticized you. so why don't you find someone else to nitpick at.

What is this ?

Someone says " Hey look, I have put in all the screws"

Answering " Next time using a Screwdriver is better than using a Hammer"...

Is this criticizing?

And, I never critiziced your music. I only ask you to do the music in the correct (best possible) sounding style that is needed for it.

Sometimes I ask myself, whether this is an A8 phenomenon.... , because many people had the same reaction like you.

Edited by emkay

Quote Emkay:

Someone says " Hey look, I have put in all the screws"

Answering " Next time using a Screwdriver is better than using a Hammer"...

Is this criticizing?

And, I never critiziced your music. I only ask you to do the music in the correct (best possible) sounding style that is needed for it.

Yes it is criticizing. you are claiming that i didn't do the job in the best possible way. but this isn't about what is best. it's about style. my style is different than yours. even if I do a song in hard synth mode it still will not sound the same as one that you would do. if I do a song in a certain way, be it using hardsynth or not, be it using arpeggios or not, or even if i use vibratos or not, it is still my Style. There is no right or wrong.

Sometimes I ask myself, whether this is an A8 phenomenon.... , because many people had the same reaction like you.

If you've had this reaction before then maybe that should be a hint and you should consider that way your are approaching people about this.

Edited by kjmann

Interesting: You call POKEY's lack of bass with 64kHz clocking "your style".

Also: I don't claim to have a style with pokey sounds. I want to sound them best possible.

There is no style, when using deep sounds for a bass and a high sound for snares.

There is also no style, when a usable fat synth sound is needed like in the original, to make pokey playing it.

There is also no style, when wanting some soprano notes and use 1.79MHz filtering for it, as needed in real.

If you feel annoyed, please remember that it was you that made this official. I wrote a private message and you put it onto the official forum, without asking me.

One Answer in a PM with some sentences like "I don't like this sounding" , or "I cannot do so" and I would have "layed off" from your stuff.

But, you also claimed some tune is better than SID.... with all gathered lacks of POKEY in it with stereo... :?:

So I made another demonstration...

But, You feel annoyed.... :?:

Interesting: You call POKEY's lack of bass with 64kHz clocking "your style".

Also: I don't claim to have a style with pokey sounds. I want to sound them best possible.

There is no style, when using deep sounds for a bass and a high sound for snares.

There is also no style, when a usable fat synth sound is needed like in the original, to make pokey playing it.

There is also no style, when wanting some soprano notes and use 1.79MHz filtering for it, as needed in real.

If you feel annoyed, please remember that it was you that made this official. I wrote a private message and you put it onto the official forum, without asking me.

One Answer in a PM with some sentences like "I don't like this sounding" , or "I cannot do so" and I would have "layed off" from your stuff.

But, you also claimed some tune is better than SID.... with all gathered lacks of POKEY in it with stereo... :?:

So I made another demonstration...

But, You feel annoyed.... :?:

That is the style i prefer to use an that is MY Decision, NOT YOURS! If you don't like the way I do the songs I do, then learn a little more about music and go do them yourself. I've had plenty of compliments from many others that like the job that i do.

It's MY Opinion that i do the songs i do in the best possible style. that's all there is to it. I'm not here to please you Emkay so deal with it.

And since you want to know my opinion about the way you do music. Quote: One Answer in a PM with some sentences like "I don't like this sounding...........

So here it is. I Don't like your style in which you do your songs. I don't like the hard synth method (for reasons I have stated before) and I Don't care whether or not you like my music. I do it the way i do it. thats all.

The world of atari music doesn't revolve around you emkay. It is simply your OPINION that i do things "Wrong". Not Fact.

Also If you like the SID so much why don't you go buy yourself a C64 and Use it instead.

If you can't quit harping on this then stay out of this thread and go complain somewhere else, Emkay.

Alright, Sorry everyone. I messed up my profile and where i thought i was adding friends i was actually adding to my block list. DUH! i Feel stupid. sorry if you have sent me a message and i didn't answer. try sending again everyone and i should get them now.

You too Emkay. =)

Also If you like the SID so much why don't you go buy yourself a C64 and Use it instead.

If I had wanted a C64, I would have bought one.... in the 80's.

Thinking back to those days, every A8 User said "the C64 isn't that good" . But no one really proved the A8 better when it came to usable gfx and music inside games. Even Rob Hubbard didn't.

It's an interesting thing that the "MCS" idea found place after 200x in/with the G2F Tool, while the sound is still far away from the real possible.

Then got weird when people tried to put SID into the ATARI... A 2nd POKEY is "OK" because ATARI intended to have one inside Gamecartridges. But, the A8 is the computer that was shipped as it was.

The main thing with tunes of "your style" is, that there exist ~ 2000 pieces of them already, because it's POKEY's standard sounding. It would be ok, if people had done another 2000 (or more) tunes with other possible POKEY-styles.

Btw: I haven't written a PM.. it's a matter of trust.

I still wonder why people feel annoyed when asking them for pushing the Atari's limit (doing co-work) . So I say sorry here and let the A8 users do what they like in the future. There really seems to be no change in that.