IGNORED

Whats good about the 5200?

Gemeni

I was thinking of buying a atari 5200..I heard it had a few good games and it looks like a pretty cool system..I also heard the controllers brake pretty easy?Is it possible to rebuild them to work like new?

I just want to know how much they go for and what are some good games for it because I might want to pick one up.

Thanks

Edited by Gemeni

When I owned an Atari 5200, the best thing about it is the games, of course. They are pretty close to the arcade counterparts (such as Berzerk and Pac Man). The system is just dead sexy, and pretty darn big. Sleek black and silver...mmm...you can't go wrong.

The controllers, on the other hand, can be a nightmare. They *do* break way too easily and finding a working controller is a major workout in and of itself. There are some people on here that can either recondition your controllers, send you new ones, or explain how to fix them if you are so inclined.

I'm not sure how much the controllers go for (check ebay and chasethechuckwagon.com), but games are cheap like they are for the Atari 2600. This is another good system to collect for in my opinion.

Berzerk is voice-enhanced!!! Without being modified! :-D You can't ask for more than that. :lust:

Just my little two cents..

-Steve

Edited by classicgamingguy

The system, at least on ebay, are fetching some pretty hefty prices lately. I bought my 4 port for $20 with $10 shipping, now a days seems like that is very low. I would expect to pay roughly $40-50 for a decent system.

make sure you get games so you can participate in the 5200 HSC.

the game star raiders looks pretty good just saw a video of it on youtube looks like a lot of fun!

it's just as good on an Atari 800xl, but without the crappy joysticks, and composite video as standard, but thats just my opinion

the game star raiders looks pretty good just saw a video of it on youtube looks like a lot of fun!

it's just as good on an Atari 800xl, but without the crappy joysticks, and composite video as standard, but thats just my opinion

Composite? Bah! Get yourself an 800 or a 130XE. :)

Anyway, the 5200 offers plenty of treasures for the classic gamer. While it only enjoyed two or so years of active support, Atari was gung ho with game releases during that time, and third parties like Activision, Parker Brothers, CBS and Sega also released a respectable collection of games, just about all of which were very well done. In recent years, the 5200 has proven to be very fertile for unreleased but playable prototypes, and its common hardware base with the Atari 8-bit computers has allowed even more titles to appear on the console.

It is true that the controllers are a sticking point, but this is easily worked around. Old controllers can be quite finicky, but refurbished controllers are very easy to find (even if they aren't exactly cheap). Actually using the controllers isn't so hard to get used to, in my humble opinion, and they are much better and less cramp-inducing than what the Intellivision and ColecoVision offer. Some games like Centipede and Galaxian even make novel use of the sticks to provide more control than other systems can offer. But there are alternatives beyond the stock controllers. Adapters were made that let you use 2600, 7800 and Sega Genesis controllers for more familiar control (AtariAge used to offer one called the Redemption, but sadly they are sold out now). Also, if you are a track-ball enthusiast, you will not find a system with better track-ball support outside of MAME.

Edited by skunkworx

Anyway, the 5200 offers plenty of treasures for the classic gamer. While it only enjoyed two or so years of active support, Atari was gung ho with game releases during that time, and third parties like Activision, Parker Brothers, CBS and Sega also released a respectable collection of games, just about all of which were very well done. In recent years, the 5200 has proven to be very fertile for unreleased but playable prototypes, and its common hardware base with the Atari 8-bit computers has allowed even more titles to appear on the console.

It is true that the controllers are a sticking point, but this is easily worked around. Old controllers can be quite finicky, but refurbished controllers are very easy to find (even if they aren't exactly cheap). Actually using the controllers isn't so hard to get used to, in my humble opinion, and they are much better and less cramp-inducing than what the Intellivision and ColecoVision offer. Some games like Centipede and Galaxian even make novel use of the sticks to provide more control than other systems can offer. But there are alternatives beyond the stock controllers. Adapters were made that let you use 2600, 7800 and Sega Genesis controllers for more familiar control (AtariAge used to offer one called the Redemption, but sadly they are sold out now). Also, if you are a track-ball enthusiast, you will not find a system with better track-ball support outside of MAME.

got 2 800s,2 600xls 5 800xls,1 1200xl[all with s-video upgrades]xegs,1 nib 130xe, 2 heavy sixers,4 7800s and a 2 port and 4 port 5200,again all with s-video mods, so i'm pretty well covered thanks |)

Unfortunately there is only one way to do it right (IMHO) and it's expensive.

To get the best out of the beast,

1. You need two working stock controllers.

MrRetroGamer on this site does a great job rebuilding the sticks if you can't do it yourself at a reasonable price.

2. Unfortunately you only need them for two games... Space Dungeon and Robotron. Getting a joystick coupler is

the cherry on the cake. Two joysticks and a coupler make Space Dungeon and Robotron pure bliss and one of the best

Atari System experiences. The coupler isn't mandatory, but it sure helps.

3. The sucky expensive part is getting yourself a good controller to make the games playable. A Wico or Competition

Pro controller make most of the arcade ports play great and really makes the 5200 shine. For example, Super Cobra is a great game, but just about impossible with the stock controller.

4. Got all that? Then the arcade ports are VERY cheap and fun to play. So you're happy!

5. The more expensive must have games are Montezuma's Revenge and Adventure 2. These 2 are the shining stars on the system and get the most play by far on my 5200. (I should mention Pitfall 2 here as well.)

This is my opinion and what I have found through my experiences with the big beast that is the 5200.

I like it a lot. I play my 5200 more than my 7800. So there you have it. :cool:

got 2 800s,2 600xls 5 800xls,1 1200xl[all with s-video upgrades]xegs,1 nib 130xe, 2 heavy sixers,4 7800s and a 2 port and 4 port 5200,again all with s-video mods, so i'm pretty well covered thanks |)

As Mr. Burns would say, "Ehh-xcellent."

Actually using the controllers isn't so hard to get used to, in my humble opinion, and they are much better and less cramp-inducing than what the Intellivision and ColecoVision offer
Well said. I don't mind the Inty controllers, but that's because I grew up with them. The 5200's are actually quite comfortable. I ordered a controller from Best Electronics which has been flawless. The 5200 my most-played classic console over the last coulpe years (perhaps because it's basically new to me), and has actually gotten more play time than my 360 this year.

There are some great arcade ports that play better than on other systems: Missile Command, Pac Man, etc.

There are a couple of great exclusives: Space Dungeon, etc

There are a lot of cross-platform titles that are excellent on the 5200: Miner 2049'er, Defender, Space Invaders, Pengo, Jungle Hunt, etc.

There are a couple of great homebrews: Adventure 2, etc

Plus, the system is just cool.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Good things...

-Labels faced towards you during gaming

-If you use cable and have a four-port model, don't need to get up to switch between TV and games.

-Very fun games (not nearly as good as 7800 IMO, but the 5200 exclusives were pretty good)

-The thing ends with a normal plug, not one of those clunky adapters you need to remove between play sessions.

Bad things...

-TOO BIG (if they just cut off the end part with the door, it would've been awesome IMO)

-The controllers rarely work, so you're stuck with third party ones

-Akwards set-up.

-If you have the four-port model, your TV pratically NEEDS to be right next to a power supply, or that clunky switchbox is gonna be a problem.

-No end labels. (Makes it akward to find a game)

Ultimately, if you can get a working system, nice controller, and a decent amount of games you like for it, it's worth it.

What I like about it:

It's BIG!

And that makes it different enough from the 8-bit computer line for my taste. :D

Bad things...

-TOO BIG (if they just cut off the end part with the door, it would've been awesome IMO)

LOL... Hey, at least if you trip over a 5200 it stays in one place! :P

OK, luck!

The 5200 is one of my all-time favorite classic game systems. A few months back, I put the system into retirement and put the Vectrex on my kitchen table/drawing board/project station instead. Even with a multi-cart and an arcade-style joystick, I almost never use it; a sharp contrast to the 5200 which I played on a daily basis. I'm thinking of switching back to the 5200 for that reason. The Vectrex, sadly, just isn't earning its keep.

Hurray I won an atari 5200!!I won 4 port version with 2 controlers track ball 16 games the pictures show it to be in real nice condition :) don't know if I got ripped off but I paid 140$I really really wanted it :P

Whether you got ripped off or not is all about how you feel about it. If you are going to play it and have fun then its worth every penny. Be prepared to have to repair the controllers though.

Hurray I won an atari 5200!!I won 4 port version with 2 controlers track ball 16 games the pictures show it to be in real nice condition :) don't know if I got ripped off but I paid 140$I really really wanted it :P

Whether you got ripped off or not is all about how you feel about it. If you are going to play it and have fun then its worth every penny. Be prepared to have to repair the controllers though.

He said the controllers work..although I don't have my hopes up high

Unless he rebuilt them they won't last real long. You can live with opening them up and cleaning them often or rebuild them or build a home made controller. The masterplay interface to use digitals is also an option for many games. Hopefully they do work so you can play immediately.

Unless he rebuilt them they won't last real long. You can live with opening them up and cleaning them often or rebuild them or build a home made controller. The masterplay interface to use digitals is also an option for many games. Hopefully they do work so you can play immediately.

If they don't can anybody here rebuild them?