IGNORED

Whats good about the 5200?

Gemeni

It's not hopeless - I got my 5200 at a Flea market and the controller worked fine. Be aware that if the analog stick doesn't seem centered, or doesn't move all the way left/right it's not the controller that's broken. There's a potentiometer inside the 5200 that needs adjusting with a screwdriver - 5 minute job at most. Did you get Missile Command? That's the best cart to test the stick with, because you can see your adjustments easily.

Hurray I won an atari 5200!!I won 4 port version with 2 controlers track ball 16 games the pictures show it to be in real nice condition :) don't know if I got ripped off but I paid 140$I really really wanted it :P

Whether you got ripped off or not is all about how you feel about it. If you are going to play it and have fun then its worth every penny. Be prepared to have to repair the controllers though.

He said the controllers work..although I don't have my hopes up high

Unless he rebuilt them they won't last real long. You can live with opening them up and cleaning them often or rebuild them or build a home made controller. The masterplay interface to use digitals is also an option for many games. Hopefully they do work so you can play immediately.

If they don't can anybody here rebuild them?

I don't know but you can buy the parts from best electronics and do it yourself in less than an hour.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/