IGNORED

To NEG or not to NEG... that is the Question

the.golden.ax

He deserves a neg for the shipping alone. The cost was NOT stated up front. An amount was stated up front, but not the actual cost. Anyone who says otherwise is either full of shit or a seller who pulls this stunt himself.

I may be full of shit but as someone who both buys and sells all the time I don't have a problem paying twice what it cost the seller to ship as long as I know before I bid. If I have a problem with the cost, I don't bid plain and simple. I bet some of the stores like best buy and the like overcharge for shipping.

That said, when I do pay that much for shipping I want it to arrive with a great packing job with no odors and everything sorted out. The seller is a tool and needs a good kick in the mouth.

Jetset loves to rag about this topic, bless his heart.

Semantics... the amount stated is the bloody cost, to the buyer!

I do agree that for $14 handling it should have at least had packing material... If I were the buyer, now that sellers can't neg, I'd have negged him without a second thought.

I just got a system in the mail stuffed into one of those flatter Priority boxes with no padding or anything. Big surprise, it doesn't work.

The seller already left me positive feedback, but I sent a mail expressing my displeasure at the packing job. It's at least grounds for a neutral.

Think of this....

What if gas were really $2.00 a gallon but we're paying $4 because the government decided to slap on a 100% tax? Would you think to yourself "well, the price is stated on the pump, so if I don't like the price I just won't pay it"? Or, would you be kinda pissed? And would it be ok for the government to not disclose this 100% tax?

Sure I'm not comparing apples to apples, but it's the same concept. You DON'T know the shipping COST up front. You know what the seller is charging YOU, but you don't truly know the shipping COST until you see the stamp and the packaging.

Those of us who are experienced buyers know to avoid sellers who charge $5-$6 bucks to ship a cart media mail, or $9 bucks to ship a joystick because we've been burned by one. Newer buyers don't. And sure, it's not the end of the world to pay a 100% markup when the seller is only trying to make extra $$ because evil ebay is *GASP* charging him .98 cents to sell that item. Sure he's using that as an excuse to charge you an extra $3-$4 bucks. Big deal.

Just don't bitch at the next fee hike is all I'm saying.

Think of this....

What if gas were really $2.00 a gallon but we're paying $4 because the government decided to slap on a 100% tax? Would you think to yourself "well, the price is stated on the pump, so if I don't like the price I just won't pay it"? Or, would you be kinda pissed? And would it be ok for the government to not disclose this 100% tax?

That's irrelevant to this. If the government added a tax that doubled gas prices you wouldn't have a choice but to pay twice the cost, where as on eBay if you don't like a shipping cost you can go to another seller.

Let me ask you this. If a seller charges you $6 for shipping an item and it costs him $8.50 to mail it, can he bitch about it and ask the buyer for more money because he didn't know what the actual shipping costs were going to be?

Think of this....

That's irrelevant to this. If the government added a tax that doubled gas prices you wouldn't have a choice but to pay twice the cost, where as on eBay if you don't like a shipping cost you can go to another seller.

Irrelevant in terms of one being a necessity and the other not, but same concept of deception and misrepresentation.

Let me ask you this. If a seller charges you $6 for shipping an item and it costs him $8.50 to mail it, can he bitch about it and ask the buyer for more money because he didn't know what the actual shipping costs were going to be?

No because the buyer did not INTENTIONALLY deceive the seller. When an item costs $4 to ship, and the seller charges $9 the seller intentionally lying about the shipping amount. Big difference.

I don't want to go back and forth all day so I'll leave you with this.

It's called shipping AND handling.

The buyer knows what he/she is going to pay

You don't have to buy from that person

Fair enough.

I'll leave you with this;

We can agree to disagree, I stand behind that buyers DON'T know the charge, and sellers are preying on buyers who don't know better.

Ebays rules clearly state excessive shipping AND handling charges are a no-no. I think 100% markup qualifies.

Deceptive sellers days are numbered. If they overcharge on shipping and the buyer is unhappy about it they can now leave appropriate feedback (meaning a neutral or negative) without fear of retaliation simply for speaking out about having been ripped off.

My point isn't that I didn't know he was gouging on his shipping, that was obvious. For $14 handling, you are OWED a half roll of bubble wrap and a new box. Not some stained, recycled box, with ZERO padding, and your stuff thrown into the box by a method that looks as if they inhaled it, then puked it up like a hairball. I'm come on, get a clue, this stuff is 20+ years old, it lasted this long, and now someone is paying you over $100 for it. Obviously they want it to look like it did in the photo, not all bent and warped, and paying $14 extra for that privilege!

AX