IGNORED

pin #14 on port 2 of the 2-port 5200

Ratix

i have two controllers both are fully functional. my problem is pin #14 appears to not work on port #2. if anyone doesn't know what im talking about it is the top side fire buttons on the controller. while i can still have multiplayer games that use the bottom fire buttons i cannot play a two player game of moon patrol with a friend. i went deep down into the system poked and prodded with the multimeter and got various reading in the range of 1.7 on the diode check and out of the blue a 1.9 on one of them. does anyone know a solution to my problem? much help would be appreciated.

EDIT: i also know that this probably fits more in the hardware section.

Edited by Ratix

ah thanks for the tip my trouble is getting the metal shielding off. its not coming off for some reason and all the kinks are straightened
I found using a credit card and prying (sometimes quite forcibly) along the edges will pop it loose. Its can be a bugger though.

alright then it seems that this was opened before because there's two chips on the opposite side that are in sockets and one is still seeded into the board.

post-20047-1212896592_thumb.jpg

just a random thought could a CD4047 or a similar chip be used? im looking in places in my work area to see if i have any 4052's

Edited by Ratix

No. You can't just replace parts willy-nilly with the closest part number. It doesn't work like that.

From the Texas Instruments web site:

CD4052 : CMOS Differential 4-Channel Analog Multiplexer/Demultiplexer with Logic-Level Conversion

CD4047 : CMOS Low-Power Monostable/Astable Multivibrator

These are clearly very different devices. You have a couple of options. You can try to sample the parts from TI. You can also try to see if you can buy a small quantity through the various mail order parts houses. Google for any of these: (Digi-key, Mouser, Jameco, Newark, or Allied) Another option is to see if any of the other AAers have a couple of spares they will part with.

The sockets could be several possibilities. It could be that they failed sometime in the past. It could have been part of the build kit. It may have even been troubleshot in the factory and they had to pull and resocket those parts. Who knows.

If you want to replace one of those ICs that are soldered in, I suggest that you _carefully_ cut the part out and then desolder the individual IC pins. It's a lot easier to do and easier on the board if you want to keep the board pads in one piece. (you do. ;) )

Hope that helps...

Hex.

[ Back to pondering the Carrier in his navel... ]

No. You can't just replace parts willy-nilly with the closest part number. It doesn't work like that.

From the Texas Instruments web site:

CD4052 : CMOS Differential 4-Channel Analog Multiplexer/Demultiplexer with Logic-Level Conversion

CD4047 : CMOS Low-Power Monostable/Astable Multivibrator

These are clearly very different devices. You have a couple of options. You can try to sample the parts from TI. You can also try to see if you can buy a small quantity through the various mail order parts houses. Google for any of these: (Digi-key, Mouser, Jameco, Newark, or Allied) Another option is to see if any of the other AAers have a couple of spares they will part with.

The sockets could be several possibilities. It could be that they failed sometime in the past. It could have been part of the build kit. It may have even been troubleshot in the factory and they had to pull and resocket those parts. Who knows.

If you want to replace one of those ICs that are soldered in, I suggest that you _carefully_ cut the part out and then desolder the individual IC pins. It's a lot easier to do and easier on the board if you want to keep the board pads in one piece. (you do. ;) )

Hope that helps...

Hex.

[ Back to pondering the Carrier in his navel... ]

i already desoldered that chip in question and installed a socket im just looking for the chips

Edited by Ratix