IGNORED

Some questions about the 1010 packaging and manual.

Ross PK

I have the manual, the box, a polystyrene piece for the leads, and two polystyrene pieces for the 1010, is there anything else missing? Was there those little bags which were for moisture or something which were in the 800XL box?

The manual I have is bigger than the actual box. I was under the impression that the manual would've fitted inside the box. Was there a bigger box at one time?

post-7172-1212927216_thumb.jpg

The instructions say you must plug in the Basic cartridge before turning the computer on before using the 1010, why is this? Also, I can't remember seeing cartridges in the manual when I used to have it back in the 80's, is there differen't versions of the manual or something?

post-7172-1212927391_thumb.jpg

Also, putting the I/O lead into the polystyrene is a really tight fit, I have to really force it in (sorta worried I might damage the polystyrene), was there a certain way it has to fit inside?

post-7172-1212927504_thumb.jpg

Thanks. It's not like these things are really important or anything (well apart from how to fit the wire into the packaging), I'm just curious.

Edited by Ross PK

This is going back 25 years... from memory I don't think I kept the 1010 packaging very long.

The SIO cables despite being not very flexible or liking to be bent about, were packaged in a rather rediculous way. I remember with my 1050 especially that it took some time to train the kinks out of the cable.

Re the reference manual - likely the 1010 came out when the 1200XL was still alive, so inserting BASIC cart is logical there, or if you bought one to use on the 400/800. But of course we all know you don't go putting cartridges in if you're booting most commercial games, so maybe the manual hasn't covered the bases too well in that regard.

Also remember, Atari, with the XL line, went from having quite good documentation to that which could be at best described as "fair", and "poor" at worst.

Re How does the manual fit in the box? Not sure. Are there two halves of the styrofoam with a cavity such that the manual could be curled a bit?

I remember getting my 1010 with the 400 computer - I got my first machine during the transition period when the 400/800 were being phased out.

I purchased a new in box 1010 from B&C and it was not in a plastic bag. My original one was bought back in '83 and I have no memory if that one was bagged or not.

So as long as B&C truly sold me new old stock, I'm going to say it was not wrapped.

Fletch

This is going back 25 years... from memory I don't think I kept the 1010 packaging very long.

The SIO cables despite being not very flexible or liking to be bent about, were packaged in a rather rediculous way. I remember with my 1050 especially that it took some time to train the kinks out of the cable.

Re the reference manual - likely the 1010 came out when the 1200XL was still alive, so inserting BASIC cart is logical there, or if you bought one to use on the 400/800. But of course we all know you don't go putting cartridges in if you're booting most commercial games, so maybe the manual hasn't covered the bases too well in that regard.

Also remember, Atari, with the XL line, went from having quite good documentation to that which could be at best described as "fair", and "poor" at worst.

Re How does the manual fit in the box? Not sure. Are there two halves of the styrofoam with a cavity such that the manual could be curled a bit?

I remember getting my 1010 with the 400 computer - I got my first machine during the transition period when the 400/800 were being phased out.

I think the reason for stating the use of the BASIC cart is because most tape based games and programs back then were written in BASIC as opposed to ML and this would also be keeping in line that it would be used with a system without built-in BASIC. I also think they would assume the use of the program recorder being used to store self written programs, most likely in BASIC.

Edited by Guitarman