IGNORED

new eBay security feature

Zwackery

Please read and then post your thoughts about this. Thank you.

-----

We would like to tell you about a new security initiative. To help protect the Community against fraudulent access to our members’ accounts, eBay has started noting which computers members typically use to conduct their buying and selling activity.

Sometime this summer, eBay will begin checking to ensure you are logging in from the same machine you have successfully used previously, whether it is a home or business computer. If you attempt to list an item from a different computer – for example, from a PC you are borrowing in a hotel or library – eBay will ask you to confirm your identity.

The best way to confirm your identity is to choose an automated phone call – either now, or in 2 minutes -- that eBay will make to the number you have registered with us. The phone call will provide you with a PIN number to use to complete the confirmation process. This allows the system to confirm it is really you logging in to list items.

If this is not possible, we will provide alternatives such as confirming through Live Chat or receiving a call to a new number. These alternate methods will require you to provide more information (such as your secret question answer).

Most sellers will need to confirm their identity infrequently. By making sure you have a current phone number and a secret question and answer on file with eBay, you can help ensure this authentication process goes quickly and smoothly.

Have a cell phone? Registering it could save you time

If you carry a mobile phone, we encourage you to add this number as a secondary phone number in your registration details, so that we can reach you when you are away from your business or residence where you normally use your trusted computer. Your secondary number will not be shared with other members and will be treated in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Please take a minute to update your contact information.

Note: The PayPal Security Key provides additional protection for your account. Order and activate the Security Key on your eBay account if you would like an alternative way to confirm your identity.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust and Safety Department

Huh?

Whats wrong with just logging in with your password maybe add an extra step like online banking doe with the little picture? This is just freakin stupid and it will guarantee that i cancel my account...... what a crock

Well it looks like I will be having trouble since I use two computers at home, one I use to list with

since my older computer crashes when I use Turbo Lister the other I use for everyday stuff like searching

ebay and bidding but since I log into ebay using both at the sametime when listing (one to list with one to

research with) I will most likely have trouble.

Just something else Ebay has desided to screw with. :x

FND

I wonder if this will effect automatic sniping. :ponder:

Ah, I think you may have just hit the nail on the head. Bring on the eBay competitors. Here we're also dealing with having to ONLY allow payment via PayPal (or pickup which obviously almost never happens). That is, no direct deposit, payment by cheque, or money order. And credit cards are ONLY allowed through the PayPal interface. Now this "security" feature (which I noticed yesterday). Looks to me like eBay are doing everything they can to make their competition more attractive.

Cheers

A

well the notice only said this was for listing items, not bidding on items. Maybe this will not effect bidding.

It came up for me when searching old auctions. So it's not just for listing items. When I ignored it (page back) and did the search again, it did not come up. So I think they're trying it out to see how many people actually 'register'. The one I got said I had to give a phone number, they'd call back with a 4 digit security number to verify... something like that. It was pretty weird and way over the top.

I just want to emphasise I was NOT listing an item; I was searching past auctions. So don't assume this 'security' feature is just for sellers.

Cheers

A

well the notice only said this was for listing items, not bidding on items. Maybe this will not effect bidding.

It came up for me when searching old auctions. So it's not just for listing items. When I ignored it (page back) and did the search again, it did not come up. So I think they're trying it out to see how many people actually 'register'. The one I got said I had to give a phone number, they'd call back with a 4 digit security number to verify... something like that. It was pretty weird and way over the top.

I just want to emphasise I was NOT listing an item; I was searching past auctions. So don't assume this 'security' feature is just for sellers.

Cheers

A

I got the exact same thing just searching.

Allan