IGNORED

Best dirt-cheap & obsolete PDAs to run an emulator on?

I'd love to run one on my Newton MessagePad 2100. There was C/C++ to Newtonscript converter, but it was only released for the Mac development kit. Of course this can be run in a Mac emu, but it's a lot of bs, just to fiddle with something that probably would become a big project.

So, can some users recommend some other cheap & obsolete PDAs/portable game sytems that run an Atari emu at full speed?

The GamePark devices seem pretty cool.

Thanx

I'd love to run one on my Newton MessagePad 2100. There was C/C++ to Newtonscript converter, but it was only released for the Mac development kit. Of course this can be run in a Mac emu, but it's a lot of bs, just to fiddle with something that probably would become a big project.

So, can some users recommend some other cheap & obsolete PDAs/portable game sytems that run an Atari emu at full speed?

The GamePark devices seem pretty cool.

Thanx

I have emulators running at full speed on my GamePark GP2X and my HTC Touch Smart phone. Neither one could be classified as "dirt cheap and/or obsolete" The GP2X is amazing for emulation - I have emulators for almost all Atari models (consoles, computers and hand-helds) all running at full speed (or close to it) with good compatibility. (As well, the GP2X has stable emulators for C64, Vic20, PET, GBA, Sega Genesis, etc) - highly recommended!

I have run the PocketAtari on my original Compaq iPaq, but it does not run at full speed (40%-60% generally - slightly better if you start skipping frames)

I wouldn't think the Newton would have nearly enough horsepower to run the emulator, even if you could transcode the emulator...

jim

I wouldn't think the Newton would have nearly enough horsepower to run the emulator, even if you could transcode the emulator...

The MP 2100 was very advanced, & had a 162 MHz StrongARM SA-110 in it (fast to begin with, & it can be overclocked to about 220 MHz). It could do the job no problem. Excellent system. It is more of a tablet computing platform, rather than a PDA, actually.

There is a Nintendo emu out for it (Newtendo), however the source code was never released, and the project disappeared.

The other Newtons were rather weak. The MP 2100 is kickass.

Anyway, it would be good to hear from others running an Atari emu on a phone or PDA.

L8R.

I would look at a Windows Mobile device running PPC 2003, WinMo 5.0 or later. In order to run the Atari 8-bit emulator, getting at least a 200MHz ARM is recommended, though most of the iPAQ machines have that. The Dell Axim devices also will work and tend to be pretty available in the used market.

Palm OS devices with a 320x320 or 320x480 screen will work OK, but there hasn't been as much emulator work there, especially for the Atari systems. There are good Coleco, Atari ST, Apple II, and Spectrum emulators for Palm OS, but the Atari systems aren't well supported.

Anyway, it would be good to hear from others running an Atari emu on a phone or PDA.

I do not think Nokia N800 Internet Tablet Atari800 emulator is ready for real gamers (It runs at the speed of around 70% which means sound is terrible. N800 d-pad is also clearly not designed for gaming. Device virtual keyboard is not supported.), but since I browse Internet with it at times I also use it to check out A800 programs published on this forum.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/s...ad.php?p=165816

there's more related in the emulation forum here.. http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...p;#entry1471040

personally I use the psp overclocked to 333mhz, all but sound is reasonable on the emu I'm using, there is a new emu out recently shown on Kaz's page but I've not checked it out yet. I have the N95 too although I've not checked out any A8 emu's at all so can't comment on that but Mame and Spectrum I have and are impresive

EDIT* The N95 doesn't enter into the cheap and obsolete so not worth mentioning really but the psp's are cheap and easy to pick up and hack around

Edited by Tezz

A Gamepark GP32 or Gamepark Holdings GP2X will do the job nicely:-) I built two binaries for the GP32 since the cycle exact one is pushing it... If you get a GP32 I suggest getting a BLU, or a least a FLU. Otherwise the screens are very dark.

Or you could get a Gizmondo cheap (got mine for £30 ish).

Or save up and buy a new Pandora when they're out.

Thanks,

Mark

http://www.scrameta.net

Edited by foft