IGNORED

Atari 5200 - Worth getting?

7800Lover

I already own an Atari 7800 with a fair amount of games and since I can play the 2600 library, that doubles the fun.

That said, I've been seriously thinking about getting a 5200 unit. I understand that some games are just rehashes of 2600 titles, albeit with superior graphics. But there are a few gems on it.

And the biggest challenge are those awful controllers.

Is an Atari 5200 worth getting? If so, what games would you recommend and what controller replacements would be advised?

Well, I'll be honest. I believe it is worth it for some of the reasons you already mentioned. Mr. Do!s Castle is a fun game for me. There are so many. The ports that are from the 2600 are superior in gameplay. If you can get your hands on them the 5200 Wico and keypad are excellent but a little pricey. If you would learn how to rebuild just one conroller you might not have a problem with keeping a good one ever again. I haven't. Go for it. ;)

Honestly, I think you're asking a biased group of people. Of course most people here are going to tell you to get it. After all, you're asking this question in an Atari message forum, more specifically the room for the 5200 itself.

Anyway, get it. It has some pretty good games. Plus, it's a neat addition to your collection.

I'm more a 7800 fan, yet I still say get the 5200. There are games on it like Moon Patrol, Miner 2049er, and Oix that haven't been homebrewed for the 7800 yet. It's an acquired taste, one that I haven't got used to yet, but still not bad.

One thing--you will go through a LOT more headaches with the 5200 hardware than you did the 7800. It is more difficult to get a 4 port 5200 power modded than it is to swap the 7800's power jack. It's also more costly to repair the 5200 joysticks, so be prepared. It's worth the cost and the trouble though--well worth it, even to a 7800 owner.

I just got a 5200 a week ago, and I say it is more than worth getting, you just have to keep an open mind about it. The controller is different but as has been said by a few people on here you can adapt to it (or find alternatives) and some people like myself actually like it. I think it's very comfortable and convenient being that the start/pause/reset functions are all at your fingertips. Not to meantion the controllers look cool as hell. The system is HUGE and sturdy so make sure you have a nice dedicated space in your entertainment center for it. I've only played Berzerk so far but just based off that one game, I think the graphics and audio on the 5200 are still very impressive. Also I've own a 2600 & 7800, and I think the 5200 is a nice way to round out those collections. Many of the 5200 games are not available on the 7800 and although many are in the 2600 library, the graphic/audio boost on the 5200 makes them into a complete new gaming experience.

The 5200 is worth it for one thing (to me at least):

Castle Crisis.

Its not hard to modify a paddle controller to a 5200 controller (I bet the people who stole my 5200 were curious why one of my controllers has a paddle controller... lol), and the game is arcade perfect.

But yes, as stated from before, once its working, its a *lot* of fun. The games are great, look a lot better as well. Its imparitive to get a controller kit or modify the 5200 controller connectors though.

The easiest way to do it, is cut tiny pieces of aluminum foil, super glue them to the underneath of the rubber contacts. Makes it night and day.

You can also do what I did with my Guitar Hero controller. Buy a back window defroster kit for your car. The paint conducts electricity. Paint each button with that paint.

I'm weird. But, do you want to know the reason i wanted a 5200 as a kid? Pac-Man. Not beause it looked more like the Arcade version, but because it had ROUND dots, instead of the 'wafers". I never understood the wafers. I was always under the impression Pac-Man was eating graham crackers :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say yes fo sure. This is one of those systems that I think would have improved with age had it not been for the video game crash of 83-84. Atari would have had the time to create the "self-centering" joystick, ad maybe down the road a disk drive to expand the capabilities. The 5200 is like the "middle brother" of the three brothers (2600, 5200, 7800). You can't stand him sometimes, but you love him enough to hold onto and take care of. A clean working system is very much worth it!

• 1 month later...
...The 5200 is like the "middle brother" of the three brothers (2600, 5200, 7800). You can't stand him sometimes, but you love him enough to hold onto and take care of. A clean working system is very much worth it!

Yes, the 5200 is strange that way. I got a 5200 only because people with Atari's stuff also gave me 5200's when they were spring cleaning. I was like "But it's a dumbed down Atari 400 that can't even play Atari 400 stuff... and the controller sucks..."

And that description is still true to me. However as I found out in the Atari 5200 HSC here on Atariage, the 5200 has about 122 rom images that I can find on the internet readily, and most of them are no nonsense SHUMPS. Action games, and games I know best of the 8-bit line. So I have greatly enjoyed the quality action game selection of the 5200.

The Atarimax 128-in-1 cart makes this incredibly easy to enjoy, then you get a wico stick with keypad... good stuff. I guess I need to consider a A/V mod sometime in the future.

Tall and the short, the 5200 has a lot of fun to be had.

No one's said most 5200 games are identical to Atari 400/800 computer games (5200 is basically a 400 comp. at heart), excepting exclusives of course (Space Dungeon, Vanguard, Kangaroo etc) so if you also happen to have an Atari comp. many games are redundant.

I've seen it for sale locally & yes, it's a physically BIG system!

There are some great arcade ports on the 5200 that aren't available on the 7800 (and that are way better than the 2600 versions if they exist):

Berzerk

Defender

Galaxian

Qix

Qix was a considerable improvement on the 5200, but then, all 5200 games have been ported to the 8 bit computers now. :D

The trend is to port 8 bit computer games to the 5200 now.

Yes.

In spite of the trouble one might have finding replacement controllers- and the fact 5200 controllers are tough to repair- the 5200 has some great games:

Blueprint

Ms. Pac-Man

Pac-Man

Super Pac-Man

Centipede (esp. with Trak-Ball. I like it better than the 7800 version)

Robotron: 2084 (I like it better than the 7800 version)

Berzerk ("Chicken! Fight Like a robot!")

Qix

Defender

Super Breakout (with paddle controller)

Pengo

Space Dungeon

Ballblazer

Star Raiders

Choplifter!

Mountain King

I think Bristles and Miner 2049'er are also available.

There are more.

It depends on what you are looking to do exactly. Just to play, or just to have/collect.

In recent years, my attitude has changed slightly, and my .02 are as follows.

If all you care about is playing the games, you're probably better off with emulation for a couple of reasons...

1: Controlers. I like them myself, but they ARE very fustratingly problematic.

2: Size. Normaly I don't care about console size, but this things is HUGE (for no good logical reason either). And with it's shape and location of cartridge slot, you can forget about stacking it or anything. It just needs it's own space. Someone should submit the thing to the Guinness book of world records for world largest video game console.

But faults aside, it's a fun little (erm, large) system if you don't mind giving the controlers a lot of TLC.

Its size may have to do w/ the controller storage compartment in the back, &/or may be reflective of the flashy 80s decade where everything was big, sleek, angular & futuristic. The DeLorean comes to mind. US products tend(ed) to be larger, where Japanese items were made considerably smaller.

Note the re-released 2600 Jr. somewhat resembled a 5200 in appearance.

Edited by RJ