IGNORED

Space Invaders 7800

PacManPlus

OK, so when can we order it? ;)

It appears the first batch is already spoken for...and you're in on it!!! :cool:

Please let Bob know otherwise, if this is not the case for you.

Everyone else, put in your request if you are not a part of the first batch, so you'll have a copy in the next batch:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129002

-Trebor

Edited by Trebor

PAL version. Let me know if there are any issues.

Only issue is that there is some "spare" graphix at the bottom of the screen, outside of the playfield. Looks similar to the glitch with the HSC on PAL systems.

Also the colours are not as nice as the NTSC version (but thats why I bought an NTSC 7800 :D )

post-11930-1216769937_thumb.jpgpost-11930-1216770031_thumb.jpg

best I could do, hope they are of some use

Thanks Mimo, thaose actually helped a lot! It showed me that the bottom status line was gone, something different than just extra garbage at the bottom of the screen. :) Memory overrun because of the addded blank lines. Let me know if the attached version is any better.

I would still like to see you get the invaders to crawl one at a time instead of all at once.

The all at once thing is so 2600.

I tried - multiple times. One at a time is impossible with Character Mode, unless I had four sets of graphics (which wouldn't fit in one 256 byte block). I was trying for a line at a time, but that ended up taking away from the game because of the little leeway I had with the delay between movement of each line. Also, if the last two invaders (for example) were next to each other, it would move at a different speed than if they were vertically separated. Not good :(

Just so you know I did try to keep that. :)

Thanks!

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

post-11930-1216769937_thumb.jpgpost-11930-1216770031_thumb.jpg

best I could do, hope they are of some use

Thanks Mimo, thaose actually helped a lot! It showed me that the bottom status line was gone, something different than just extra garbage at the bottom of the screen. :) Memory overrun because of the addded blank lines. Let me know if the attached version is any better.

I would still like to see you get the invaders to crawl one at a time instead of all at once.

The all at once thing is so 2600.

I tried - multiple times. One at a time is impossible with Character Mode, unless I had four sets of graphics (which wouldn't fit in one 256 byte block). I was trying for a line at a time, but that ended up taking away from the game because of the little leeway I had with the delay between movement of each line. Also, if the last two invaders (for example) were next to each other, it would move at a different speed than if they were vertically separated. Not good :(

Just so you know I did try to keep that. :)

Thanks!

Bob

I know you did. :) Perhaps when you and I get around to making Curts game(Zaxxon), we could

further look into another way of doing it. :D

ok I tried out the "final" one.. is there any chance you could get the Rainbow effect in? :( I mean that would just be the icing on the cake I think. :)

If it helps any, I believe the effect (at least on the original game) was in fact a bug where the far left pixels of the bottom invader wouldn't be erased as it sped to the right across the screen.

rainbow.jpg

Edited by NE146

You know....I hesitate to write this. The original objection to using sprites for the aliens was because it would take way too long to update that many sprites per frame. But since you want to duplicate the cascading wave movement of the aliens, you only need to update one alien per frame. Which would be totally doable.

Of course, it would require a complete rewrite and rearrangement of the guts of, basically, the entire program, so I don't encourage that kind of madness. :ponder:

:twisted:

ok I tried out the "final" one.. is there any chance you could get the Rainbow effect in? :( I mean that would just be the icing on the cake I think. :)

I thought that was only in Space Invaders Deluxe/Part II.

The trailer effect happens in SI part I. It doesn't give you any sort of bonus though and was just a neat trick... right up there with other things like shooting the last invader "off the wall". :)

My guess is it was it was such a well known bug, and the designers knowing about it when designing part 2 decided to keep it in there and give it a bonus score and animated fanfare (or whatever you want to call it).

Edited by NE146

I have decided to cancel the 'reservation' (in the 7800 thread), as I have been getting repeated requests for the 'ripple effect', which is impossible in Character Mode.

The game will have to be rewritten from the ground up to try and replicate this with sprites instead, so the project is on hold until further notice. (It will take me quite a while to get back to this point after redoing the entire kernel).

No carts will be made of this version, and I ask that nobody else make carts of this version either - it will interfere with the 'newer' version, once it's completed.

Edited by PacManPlus

I think it's more of the case of not giving up and giving it a try and I commend you on that :thumbsup:

I encountered a similar thing when I did Climber 5. I thought it was done but I got encouragement from Manuel, Thomas, Andrew, and others to push it a little further. If it weren't for that encouragement and deciding to give it another try then I wouldn't have the falling obstacles in the game.

The same can be said for my Pacman4K too. Kurt was disappointed to hear that I was going to mark it finished without trying to get the monster point sprites in. After I took a rest and came back to it, I saw how I could get them in!

I wish you much luck with it Bob and if it doesn't happen, at least you gave it a try.

I personally don't care if the ripple effect bug is included or not. I guess I'm in the minority though.

Sorry to hear that you're starting over. :(

Mitch

I completely agree. I though the game was just perfect without it.

Same here. :(

Oh well, don't drive yourself crazy with the rewrite, Bob! I hope (re)programming goes as smooth as possible for you. :)

-Trebor