IGNORED

Anyone have a spare 5200 Power Adapter FST?

Waterborn

Mine's running from a power supply that came with my Toshiba cable modem. I tossed the modem and hacked the power supply into my 5200. I'm tellin' ya, that power mod works wonders.

Judging by the symptoms you described earlier, I'd bet the transformer inside your power supply overheated and died. The unit was probably faulty when you got it.

I went to some flea markets last night and thought that I had found a 5200 ps. I brought it home and the thing did not work, though I did hear a wierd pop out of the switch and thought that it was the audible "click" that you hear. I thought I was good to go, but no luck when I tried to power up the game system. The specs on the power supply that I just got are as follows:

120 VAC

60 Hz

20W

9 VAC

15.3 VA

The 9 VAC is what worries me. I figure that this may have blown the switch that I have. Any ideas if this could happen and if so, do I need to worry about the system itself? I think that I may just order a new PS and switch box from Best Electronics. At least that way I know that everything is new. I just hate shelling out $40 for replacement parts on a system that I paid $20 for. :roll:

if you have subjected your 5200 to AC current you have most likely made a doorstop.

It is highly likely that you have fried several ICs and maybe more.

You can either get a new motherboard from best or try getting a another 5200 from the marketplace here or evilbay.

if you have subjected your 5200 to AC current you have most likely made a doorstop.

It is highly likely that you have fried several ICs and maybe more.

You can either get a new motherboard from best or try getting a another 5200 from the marketplace here or evilbay.

Any chance the switch box kicked and the system is still ok? If I pull the cover, can I look at something to tell if the board is shot? Grr, I hate being ignorant when it comes to electronic stuff. :x

slim possibility, but when I bought my first 5200 I did almost the same thing as you, in my defense the power supply that was included in my purchase was an atari one, but for a 1200xl :x

Plugging that in to my 4 switch for a second killed the motherboard, but the switchbox still worked :D

one replaced motherboard, 2 rebuilt joysticks and an s-video mod later I now have a complete working upgraded 5200 that I never use :D

get a 800xl and save all the hassle :P