IGNORED

Now a boxed Space Shuttle is worth more than a boxed Motorodeo!

homerwannabee

If someone were to tell you 4 years ago that a boxed common rarity 3 game would be worth more than a boxed Motorodeo which was a legit rarity 10 at the time, you would say the person was insane. Will it finally happened. Motorodeo is now worth less than a boxed rarity 3 game. Here is the proof. Yes I know that the Venezuala find totally destroyed the value of this. But it is still amazing to see something like this.

Space Shuttle $37.77 plus $4.99 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...y0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Sealed Motorodeo $31.50 plus $6.00 shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...y0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Edited by homerwannabee

Judging from the purchasing record of the buyer, sunnyvalepong, this looks like a case of speed collecting, so any sort of monetary values should be suspect.

The Space Shuttle auction was not complete, as it is missing the overlay for the 6 switch 2600.

The Motorodeo auction, as shown in the picture, is clearly not sealed.

I really have no idea why the rarity of Motorodeo (and Ikari Warriors alike) hasn't been downgraded yet. I really think that the R10 rating on this game keeps the Ebay selling value overinflated. This is the most respected and well known Atari collecting site out there, and some newer collectors that don't already know the back story think they are getting a steal if they see a NIB R10 for $100 or whatever. The auction listed is kind of an anomaly because it was CIB and not NIB. NIB still consistently fetch $75+. In reality with the number of sealed copies that are floating around out there and maybe still pallets full in Venezuela, this game shouldn't ever command more than $30-$40.

It will be interesting to see this situation in a few years. Assuming there weren't any more that a couple of thousand found in Venezuela, the supply of these will dry up and this game will be a hard to find title again. A game with only a few thousand out there is still very rare. Definitely not an R10, but rare nonetheless.

I think a 7-8 rating possibly.

I look at it in a few ways: I never ran across one in the wild. Yet, I've had 3 Qbert Qubes, Waterworld, 2 Frogger II games all in the wild. I think it's worth more than say a River Raid II or a Video Cube... but a rarity 10... nope.

I just got quite a few hard to find red labeled titles like these for $10 each. Loose.

So, that should tell you the true value. I think those in Venezuela know things are going to dry up soon. I am really curious as to the Quadrun rarity though. I wonder how many of those were found and if they will be running out again soon.

I've seen lots of boxes Space Shuttles over the years. Never really thought they were that rare? :? Anyhow Motorodeo and Ikari are clearly not 9 or 10's. They haven't been for quite a while, but the AA database seldom gets updated. I'm hoping Al has more time now with the store off-line.

Even if the source dries up in South America it will now and forever be easy to get Motorodeo or Ikari boxed and complete. These games are going straight into collectors hands, so the box isn't likely to be trashed. With people coming and going all the time in the hobby and so many of these already out there if you want one you can have one.

I think a 7-8 rating possibly.

I look at it in a few ways: I never ran across one in the wild. Yet, I've had 3 Qbert Qubes, Waterworld, 2 Frogger II games all in the wild. I think it's worth more than say a River Raid II or a Video Cube... but a rarity 10... nope.

You can't look at it that way because you will almost certainly never run into one in the wild in the US. They are all coming from the one source in Venzuela and it appears taht hundreds were found. Until the Venezuelan's supplies run out or they tell us how many were found, we cannot gauge true rarity. My gut feel is that these are about an R7 (kinda like Espial) but they will not be worth much for a long time after supplies run out (if ever).