IGNORED

SC1224 monitor differences

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a 1040STf computer, more or less complete. I did notice something though. The monitor came with its original box, and the box even had the styrofoam insterts... but that isn't what is interesting to me about it. The shape is totally different than the monitor that came with my 520ST lot when I got it. The one from my 520 has a thicker grey plastic border, and all the cables are modular (I can unplug the power, and video cable from the monitor itself), and it looks like a more streamlined design, despite the fact that according to the stampings, this one is 2 years older the my newest grab.

The boxier, non-modular monitor that came with the 1040STf is stamped 1987.

Are there any fundamental differences between the designs, aside from the appearance, and cables? I know that they share the same model number, but is one particular version known to be more durable than the other? The screen on the one stamped 1987 appears larger...but that could easily be optical illusion due to the bordering plastic's width. I haven't busted out a ruler yet.

Fishing for more information about this, and even just quirks of the ST computers in general, since I am so new to them. Any solid websites that have good information? I know a google search would turn up some results... but we all know that big search engines don't always sort results based on relevance, but marketing. I wouldn't be surprised to find some really small, enthusiast run page hiding at the bottom of 4 pages of results.

My favorite was always the original JVC version (the one with the darker gray bezel and red light). The most common one is the Goldstar which has the thick, case color bezel and green rectangular LED. I don't remember who made the third monitor with the horizontal stripe across the bottom.

My favorite was always the original JVC version (the one with the darker gray bezel and red light). The most common one is the Goldstar which has the thick, case color bezel and green rectangular LED. I don't remember who made the third monitor with the horizontal stripe across the bottom.

Samsung is the third one.

http://www.atari7800.org/monitor.htm

Mitch

• Like 1

The JVC is considered the best model. But there seems to be a quirk with them, the sound volume will be really LOW when connected to newer ST computers like the 1040ST or STE... Probably the reason Atari went with the Goldstar and Samsung!

The JVC is considered the best model. But there seems to be a quirk with them, the sound volume will be really LOW when connected to newer ST computers like the 1040ST or STE... Probably the reason Atari went with the Goldstar and Samsung!

The gain or loading of the audio amp is just a matter of a resistor or two.

I think the reason was that Korean monitors were less expensive than Japanese ones. JVC probably was probably best able to meet the delivery deadline (since the ST was developed in a very short time) but they switched away from it pretty early on.

-Bry

Hmm...after viewing the link, it would appear that I have a JVC model, and a Samsung model. Anyone know if the JVC would have lower volume output if connected to a 1040STf? I know, the best answer is to hook it up. I am still working at arranging a space to plunk the ST computers down in for play. I have some arranging to do.

What about monitor longevity? Has anyone noticed if any of the various manufacturers made a superior SC1224? The Samsung feels like a tank, while the JVC looks more thought out in appearance. I don't have long term experience with either of them.

• 12 years later...

The JVC branded SC1224 monitor that I'm using is an original

that I bought way back in the mid 80's. It's got a couple of small

dings and one of the front roller controls is starting to get a little

stiff, but other than that, it works and displays like a champ.

I consider that to be pretty long term.  :)

I'm jealous of those with the JVC version - that's the kind I had BITD with my 1040ST. Last summer I picked up a Samsung version - it's generally okay but when connected to the VBXE in my A8 machine, the screen is not very bright. I don't know if it's an old tube, a weak PSU that needs to be recapped, or lower-than-spec peak-to-peak video levels from the VBXE. I should scope the VBXE output at some point and see what I see.