IGNORED

Atari 5200 Soundcard help

adamf

Hi, just bought an Atari 5200 and I need the soundcard but don't know what it looks like. Could anyone tell me which part it is? I'm trying to connect it to a modified keyboard to make a retro atari sound.

Thanks, guys!

Sound card? There is no sound card for the 5200.

Allan

It's a single IC (Pokey), and could be interfaced with different hardware reasonably easily.

But you'd be way better off preserving the 5200 and just buying the chip as a seperate part from someone like Best Electronics.

Pretty sure too that since it's clocked at various speeds in arcade machines that you could probably run it at any speed from 800 KHz to around 1.9 MHz, although the base clock will influence the frequencies generated.

It's a single IC (Pokey), and could be interfaced with different hardware reasonably easily.

But you'd be way better off preserving the 5200 and just buying the chip as a seperate part from someone like Best Electronics.

Pretty sure too that since it's clocked at various speeds in arcade machines that you could probably run it at any speed from 800 KHz to around 1.9 MHz, although the base clock will influence the frequencies generated.

Thanks, I don't know a lot about this topic, could you recommend any pieces of equipment that would connect to the chip to make music? I have a midi keyboard but I hardly think this will work. Also, you say to buy the POKEY chip seperately, why is this? Is it just to preserve the Atari system because I only really need the chip, not bothered about playing it again. Thanks for your help!

Heck, I've got Pokey's laying around if you want to trade a 5200 for just the chip.

Here's an idea. Download RMT for the PC:

http://raster.infos.cz/atari/rmt/rmt.htm

This is a music composing package that emulates Pokey (allowing you to hear your songs without any additional hardware). This will allow you to mess around with creating songs that can also be saved and played on a real Atari computer (800/XL/XE) if you wish.

It's a tall order from my perspective, if my assumption about what you're trying to do is correct.

Are you trying to make a synthesizer out of a 5200 like the Synthcart does for the 2600?

The "sound card" for the 5200 is just a built in chip. To use it within the 5200, I'd say the best bet would be to figure out the best way to interface your keyboard and write software to put on a cartridge.

What sort of interface does your keyboard support? MIDI? Or is it a total custom job?

It's a tall order from my perspective, if my assumption about what you're trying to do is correct.

Are you trying to make a synthesizer out of a 5200 like the Synthcart does for the 2600?

The "sound card" for the 5200 is just a built in chip. To use it within the 5200, I'd say the best bet would be to figure out the best way to interface your keyboard and write software to put on a cartridge.

What sort of interface does your keyboard support? MIDI? Or is it a total custom job?

My keyboard uses a MIDI interface. I'm basically trying to replicate the sound of an Atari 5200 and record the sounds on to my PC through the MIDI keyboard.

I don't know if anyone has made anything for standalone Pokey use like there is for SID. Would be a fun project and Pokey is able to handle the MIDI serial format. Basically, you'd have a 6502, a ROM and 2 (or more) Pokeys on a little PCB.

EDIT: Oh, and a little RAM.

Edited by Bryan