IGNORED

Bad Packaging Again!

Ikrananka

Okay just need to get this off of my chest and to warn others. After bidding nearly $200 for a very rare "MINT" sealed boxed ColecoVision game on eBay I was deligted to win. I sent payment to the seller and then immediately sent a follow up email asking that he package the game in a sturdy box filled with styrene chips and to let me know if there was any problem withthis request. Having paid $13 for the shipping I assumed the game would be well packaged.

Well I received the game yesterday in a plain paper envelope with a little bit of bubble wrap around the game box inside. Needless to say the game box was crushed and badly damaged. I have sent an email to the seller (madauctionsforu19).

Why oh why do sellers believe that a paper ebvelope protects game boxes - drives me nuts. This is about the fourth game I've received like this in as many months.

A risk you take when you buy from ebay, sadly similar things have happened to me. Bought a Commodore 64, the guy packaged it badly; and it came broken. It was supposedly mint and cost me 350$, now I own a plastic rectangle that sits in my corner in a box with a ton of games and other things that came with it.

I sent payment to the seller and then immediately sent a follow up email asking that he package the game in a sturdy box filled with styrene chips and to let me know if there was any problem withthis request.

While I agree that sellers should pack well without being asked, this situation could have been avoided if you'd e-mailed before the auction ended. If I e-mail a seller with a question like this (a common one these days is, "will you ship Parcel Post instead of Media Mail?") and they fail to respond, they don't get my business, simple as that.

As a seller, I get pretty irked when people win my goods and only then bother to tell me that they have special needs or requests about how they should be shipped. Sometimes, those requests aren't even do-able (like when a customer told me they wanted their laserdisc sandwiched between Styrofoam boards. Uh... what makes you think I keep Styrofoam boards lying around?)

Of course, if sellers would simply describe their packaging in their auction ads, this problem could be completely avoided.

I always say up front how my goods will be shipped and I wish others would as well.

I sent payment to the seller and then immediately sent a follow up email asking that he package the game in a sturdy box filled with styrene chips and to let me know if there was any problem withthis request.

While I agree that sellers should pack well without being asked, this situation could have been avoided if you'd e-mailed before the auction ended. If I e-mail a seller with a question like this (a common one these days is, "will you ship Parcel Post instead of Media Mail?") and they fail to respond, they don't get my business, simple as that.

As a seller, I get pretty irked when people win my goods and only then bother to tell me that they have special needs or requests about how they should be shipped. Sometimes, those requests aren't even do-able (like when a customer told me they wanted their laserdisc sandwiched between Styrofoam boards. Uh... what makes you think I keep Styrofoam boards lying around?)

Of course, if sellers would simply describe their packaging in their auction ads, this problem could be completely avoided.

I always say up front how my goods will be shipped and I wish others would as well.

Yes, but if you correspond with the seller after the fact and agree to pay for additional packaging, there should be no issue. I realize you might not have styrofoam boards on hand, but you can get them at any Office Depot or Staples and probably at Mail Boxes Etc.. as well.

Yes, but if you correspond with the seller after the fact and agree to pay for additional packaging, there should be no issue. I realize you might not have styrofoam boards on hand, but you can get them at any Office Depot or Staples and probably at Mail Boxes Etc.. as well.

I agree that corresponding after the fact shouldn't be a problem. If the request can't be accomodated then the seller can tell the buyer BEFORE shipping and maybe an alternative can be worked out. My seller didn't respond to my email and also didn't respond to a number of follow up emails I sent.

Regardless, as discussed elsewhere on this forum, cardboard boxed games should always be sent in a protective outer box and not in envelopes. This should go without saying!!!

Yes, but I box and ship for a living -- I have a room full of shipping supplies already and I'm not likely to be too happy about having to make a special trip for a demanding customer who never asked if it would be OK until after they'd already completed a contract wherein I specified exactly how I would be shipping, dig?

And when buyers agree to "pay for additional packaging", they rarely take into account that it takes gas to get to the store to buy special supplies, my time is worth something, I may need a different box, the weight may no longer be the same as what I stated in my ad, etc. If you toss me an extra $1 for the pads, I'm still out a lot of time and, most likely, some money.

The time to ask questions or request special treatment is BEFORE you bid.

When you buy a house, you can ask the previous owners to leave behind their dishwasher and you can put that in the contract, but once the papers are already signed, although you can certainly still ask, you can no longer expect that they will comply. Placing a winning bid (or using a BIN) is a contract. You can't expect to be able to change the terms after you've already agreed to them.

I agree that corresponding after the fact shouldn't be a problem.

And assholes shouldn't get all the pretty girls, but that's not the way the world works sometimes.

That said, there's no excuse for ignoring communications from customers.

If you aren't going to comply with a special request, just say so (you're certainly not obligated if the question wasn't asked until the sale had already ended.)

The few times I've had unreasonable requests (and the vast majority are not, btw) that I was simply unwilling or unable to comply with, I've offered the buyer the opportunity to back out of the deal by sending me a token payment to cover my fees. But I have little patience with customers who, for example, win an auction that clearly states "PayPal only" and then want to pay with a money order, or with foreign customers who purchase my goods when it states definitively that I will not ship outside the U.S. If you ask first, I'll likely accommodate you -- if you demand special treatment after the fact, I tend to get annoyed.

leave him a stinging negative feedback

Even though it might have sounded like I was defending the seller, I concur that this is an acceptable course in this case.

Regardless of your requests (and when you made them) the goods were not packed to secure their safe transit.

A negative is completely justified in such cases. And their lack of response is just more fuel for the fire.

leave him a stinging negative feedback

Even though it might have sounded like I was defending the seller, I concur that this is an acceptable course in this case.

Regardless of your requests (and when you made them) the goods were not packed to secure their safe transit.

A negative is completely justified in such cases. And their lack of response is just more fuel for the fire.

Thanks guys - appreciate the lively discussion. I'm gonna give the seller a few days to reply to my email of complaint. If I don't hear back then I will definately give him negative feedback.

Was the auction on USA Ebay ??,if so leave him a stinging negative feedback without fear of him leaving you neg feedback..These new feedback rules are meant for situations like this..

100% on the mark. This guy deserves a negative in THE worst way, and 6 months ago this guy could play the feedback hostage game, and ultimately nobody would know what a douchebag he is. Now you can neg him without fear of unfair retaliation, and warn other would be victims.

Yeah, the new rules certainly are upping the ante in the "keep the customer satisfied" game.

At the possible expense of those sellers who were doing it all along...

The "feedback hostage game" only worked on the ignorant, but there was no shortage of those buyers!

Oh it's not just the possible expense, it's at the definite expense of the sellers who were doing right all along. Unfortunately, there were less and less of those every day, which had the same effect on the amount of buyers.

I blame George Bush.

What about since condition was damaged to do a not as described claim and negative feedback if he won't help.

I agree with this I would argue and try to get my money back. Did he ship via Paypal if not file a claim and force him to prove he sent it to you reasonably. If he sent it from a post office and by media mail with no confirmation you can screw him hard... As I seller I am going to hell for saying this but it sounds like he may need screwed.

BTW you should check out the chuckwagon there are definitive shipping policies that sellers follow including not overcharging and underpacking.

I ship out alot and even loose Atari games go in a box with packing.. I buy everything in bulk and it works out to under 50 cents an auction for packing supplies. I have a small shipping area in one of my game rooms with all my boxes, peanuts, supplies and such...

What about since condition was damaged to do a not as described claim and negative feedback if he won't help.

I agree with this I would argue and try to get my money back. Did he ship via Paypal if not file a claim and force him to prove he sent it to you reasonably. If he sent it from a post office and by media mail with no confirmation you can screw him hard... As I seller I am going to hell for saying this but it sounds like he may need screwed.

BTW you should check out the chuckwagon there are definitive shipping policies that sellers follow including not overcharging and underpacking.

I ship out alot and even loose Atari games go in a box with packing.. I buy everything in bulk and it works out to under 50 cents an auction for packing supplies. I have a small shipping area in one of my game rooms with all my boxes, peanuts, supplies and such...

GET EM'!!!!!!!!!!

676.gif

He didn't send it via PayPal - it was shipped first class (US to Canada) - no tracking/confirmation!! I contacted the seller and am sending him some photos of the damaged box today - he has agreed to a partial refund (as the boxed game is extremely rare I want to keep it - damaged is better than no game at all). I'm gonna ask for $150 back which I think is reasonable considering the excessive shipping charge, the loss in value of the game and for my time involved in having to deal with a problem that would not have arisen if he'd packed it correctly in the first place.

I'll post back what happens.

Edited by Ikrananka

That is complete stupidity on the sellers part. Hmm, I just received over $300 for this boxed game I put on Ebay. I know what I am going to do. I am going to put it in a bubble mailer. It is amazing that a seller can't figure out that condition matters in the video game market. If someone is going to pay over $300 for something, I don't care what it is. That person cares about the item remaining in the same condition.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after trying to resolve this amicably with the seller I have had to give him negative feedback and have now been through my first ever dispute process. The seller kept leading me on saying that he would review the pictures of the damaged item I sent to him and then we would agree a partial refund together - but he wouldn't be able to do this until the second week in August (coincidentally just about the time that I would run out of time to raise a dispute). So I waited and prompted him occasionally always getting a "just looking at it now" remark and then nothing. After another similar message today, and 1 day left to raise a dispute, I had to kill this and so initiated a dispute. The sellers response was that after looking at the photos he didn't believe the item was damaged - strange then that he had said to me that he would send me a partial refund!!

Check out his (feedback) - it's littered with buyers who didn't even receive their items so I suppose I should be grateful that I got mine at all.

I frigging hate eBay. Just checked about the so-called PayPal buyer protection and this expires 45 days after the PayPal payment. So I waited 60 days because eBay said I had 60 days to raise a dispute and I unknowingly miss the PayPal dispute deadline - this is complete BS.

Well after trying to resolve this amicably with the seller I have had to give him negative feedback and have now been through my first ever dispute process. The seller kept leading me on saying that he would review the pictures of the damaged item I sent to him and then we would agree a partial refund together - but he wouldn't be able to do this until the second week in August (coincidentally just about the time that I would run out of time to raise a dispute). So I waited and prompted him occasionally always getting a "just looking at it now" remark and then nothing. After another similar message today, and 1 day left to raise a dispute, I had to kill this and so initiated a dispute. The sellers response was that after looking at the photos he didn't believe the item was damaged - strange then that he had said to me that he would send me a partial refund!!

Check out his (feedback) - it's littered with buyers who didn't even receive their items so I suppose I should be grateful that I got mine at all.

I frigging hate eBay. Just checked about the so-called PayPal buyer protection and this expires 45 days after the PayPal payment. So I waited 60 days because eBay said I had 60 days to raise a dispute and I unknowingly miss the PayPal dispute deadline - this is complete BS.

It isn't BS. It is just how it works. Ebay and PayPal are separate entities even though they are part of the same corporation. The ebay and paypal disputes are two separate things. Ebay takes actions against the seller such as suspension or revocation of an account. Paypal gets your money back for you. I have had to do at least 6 or 7 paypal disputes and it worked every time.

It does suck that you missed the deadline, but at least you know the rules now.

He didn't send it via PayPal - it was shipped first class (US to Canada) - no tracking/confirmation!! I contacted the seller and am sending him some photos of the damaged box today - he has agreed to a partial refund (as the boxed game is extremely rare I want to keep it - damaged is better than no game at all). I'm gonna ask for $150 back which I think is reasonable considering the excessive shipping charge, the loss in value of the game and for my time involved in having to deal with a problem that would not have arisen if he'd packed it correctly in the first place.

What sucks is that if you had opened a paypal dispute you probably would have gotten your money back. Dowhat I do 28 days to resolve if no progress at that point open a dispute that gives time for you to give them a chance but enough time for you to protect yourself. SInce he sent it first class from a post office I can tell you you almost assurdedly would have won. He would of had to prove shipment and reasonable packaging.

One thing you may have left to try is if you paid for it through paypal with a credit card call your credit card and see if you can recover your money that way. If you have buyer protection or depending on hte credit card policies you may be able to get a charge back. I have never done this but have been told by a few people this works. But you can only do it within 60 days.

What sucks is that if you had opened a paypal dispute you probably would have gotten your money back. Dowhat I do 28 days to resolve if no progress at that point open a dispute that gives time for you to give them a chance but enough time for you to protect yourself. SInce he sent it first class from a post office I can tell you you almost assurdedly would have won. He would of had to prove shipment and reasonable packaging.

One thing you may have left to try is if you paid for it through paypal with a credit card call your credit card and see if you can recover your money that way. If you have buyer protection or depending on hte credit card policies you may be able to get a charge back. I have never done this but have been told by a few people this works. But you can only do it within 60 days.

This is true, but you can only do it once. Then paypal sends you a nasty letter and says, if you do this again, your account will be closed. Both of them, Ebay and Paypal. This is a fact. HHW

It does suck that you missed the deadline, but at least you know the rules now.

Yep and I sure won't forget them!!!!

I'm sure that I'm past the PayPal dispute deadline but I went ahead and tried anyway and the PayPal system let raise a dispute anyway. Even had a reply saying that the seller responded and that PayPal will make a decision. We will see......

Don't fancy trying to claim back through my credit card - especially as I received the item and the "value" of the damage done is quite subjective. I also don't want PayPal to get nasty with me particularly as I plan on continuing to use them.