IGNORED

My 5200 proto controller. It's ugly but it works!

ninermaniac

Well. I finally finished a 5200 controller project based on a controller I got in a bin awhile back. It works great and feels pretty good for it's size. It consists of very little and was fairly cheap to get the stuff for to make one. Right at $20 for the parts. Radio Shack was the key to start but here's what it consists of.

(1) A used stock 5200 controller.

(2) One small roll of 20 gauge solid wire.

(3) 15 mini pushbutton open circuit switches.

(4) 2 larger pushbutton switches.

(5) One 7" X 5" X 3" plastic project box.

(6) A rotary tool and cutters to cut a square hole.

(7) A drill and a 8mm and 12mm drill bits.

Keep in mind that this was made very quickly to get a feel and general idea to see if a smaller box was feasible. WHICH IT IS NOT! This was about as small as I could go and Radio shack didn't have a huge variety of project box sizes. Once I get the schematics drawn up I'll post them in case somebody wants to make one that doesn't want to worry about those darn flex circuits anymore. Or I could make one for ya. I might regret that last statement. If you have a Wico controller to sacrifice I'd say this would be feasible to. Crazy but feasible. I'm gonna get started here in awhile making more and do a better job but due to wife neglect and work I have to put the tools away for now.

But not long. LOL

Please note that the pictures are a little blurry and dark.

Here's da guts. It's from the original controller. I followed the same process.

Edited by ninermaniac

those concept for this controller is great. It would be much more cosmetically pleasing if you used just the stick and kept the rest of the controller on the inside and use a "O" ring on top.

I'll see what else I can come up with. I can use all the input for ideas. I just want to keep the controller easy to make that way more guys and gals who really want to try to build one can use an idea that's pretty easy to go by and the schematics are very easy to follow. (Once I get them drawn up).LOL Thanks for the positive responses. It's my motivation!!!! 042.gif

I like it.

Interesting comment about Radio Shack- they do not seem to be as "project or repair" orientated as they once were.

But I like your controller. The design is fascinating, it reminds me of a Jaguar controller- is that what you were trying for?

How has it improved your 5200 gameplay? Thanks to mine, I beat 20,000 in Berzerk, and with the paddle, Super Breakout and Pole Position are now great!

I like it.

Interesting comment about Radio Shack- they do not seem to be as "project or repair" orientated as they once were.

But I like your controller. The design is fascinating, it reminds me of a Jaguar controller- is that what you were trying for?

How has it improved your 5200 gameplay? Thanks to mine, I beat 20,000 in Berzerk, and with the paddle, Super Breakout and Pole Position are now great!

I think it works great. All the buttons work flawless, unlike flex circuits which sometimes you gotta press very hard or it doesn't work at all, and with keeping the traditional controller keeps that feel you like when you play. This is definitely a controller you need to set in your lap to enjoy. I prefer sitting down and having the controller in my lap, (I know that this statement can be misconstrued with playing with my stick. LOL) like the trackball controller. I wouldn't mind making a few more and make them available to anyone who wants one here at AA. I can make one in about 3-4 hours with a snack in between. I take my time. I'm not a whiz at electronics but this configuration is not very difficult at all. I am in the process of drawing up schematics in case someone wants to try it theirself. Guys let me know who wants one. I'll see what I can do to make you one. Innerparts and project box are around $20 for materials, Joystick aroun $7-10, (UNLESS YOU SEND ME ONE OF YOURS TO SACRIFICE), Shipping would be around $8-$10. All together we are looking at about $40 to make and send one. Thanks for the positive comments! 057.gif

Sign me up! I love the looks of this one.

p

I like it.

I think it works great. All the buttons work flawless, unlike flex circuits which sometimes you gotta press very hard or it doesn't work at all, and with keeping the traditional controller keeps that feel you like when you play. This is definitely a controller you need to set in your lap to enjoy. I prefer sitting down and having the controller in my lap, (I know that this statement can be misconstrued with playing with my stick. LOL) like the trackball controller. I wouldn't mind making a few more and make them available to anyone who wants one here at AA. I can make one in about 3-4 hours with a snack in between. I take my time. I'm not a whiz at electronics but this configuration is not very difficult at all. I am in the process of drawing up schematics in case someone wants to try it theirself. Guys let me know who wants one. I'll see what I can do to make you one. Innerparts and project box are around $20 for materials, Joystick aroun $7-10, (UNLESS YOU SEND ME ONE OF YOURS TO SACRIFICE), Shipping would be around $8-$10. All together we are looking at about $40 to make and send one. Thanks for the positive comments! 057.gif

good job,,, with all you guys making stuff it really makes me want to try and create something ,,,but the last time I tryed modding a flashback 2 I ended up wasting half a day and then throwing it all out :(

I seem to lack the skills when it comes to making things :)

sad part is my profession is a test engineer.