IGNORED

White label Burgertime in this lot!

CPUWIZ

Try Atari2600.com. They have shrinkwrapped barcoded Skiing boxes. It's a catch 22 though. They won't break the shrinkwrap on their Skiing boxes to check (I don't blame 'em).

why would you NOT blame them? they don't say on their website that there is a chance on it not being a text label version, it says it IS a text label version inside! VERY shady business practices if you ask me!! great way to treat the atari community! Thanks Joe!! :x

Rick

Yeah, Blue label Skiing is a bitch. I have it CIB, but it was the only one I ever saw on eBay too.

Try Atari2600.com. They have shrinkwrapped barcoded Skiing boxes. It's a catch 22 though. They won't break the shrinkwrap on their Skiing boxes to check (I don't blame 'em). As far as I know every late release came in a barcoded box, but not every barcoded box has a late release. Some were stuffed with the regular carts during the transistion. Still your best bet for one of these though until their stock dries up.

Skiing is without a doubt the rarest blue label though. Still just rated at a three. All the rest are easy to find.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I DID buy a shrinkwrapped barcoded Skiing game from Atari2600.com, and I opened it, because I had to know for sure. And no dice - it was just a regular label game.

Atari2600.com used to have language on their site about the blue label Skiing being in the barcode box, but he took it off after I told him what happened with mine.

I suspect the blue label games did ship in the barcoded boxes, as those are the later release boxes, but there's no guarantee. And at $25 $18 a pop, it could get expensive buying those sealed games and opening them to see.

If I had to to it all over again, I wouldn't have opened the box. ;)

Edited by Pant Load

Try Atari2600.com. They have shrinkwrapped barcoded Skiing boxes. It's a catch 22 though. They won't break the shrinkwrap on their Skiing boxes to check (I don't blame 'em).

why would you NOT blame them? they don't say on their website that there is a chance on it not being a text label version, it says it IS a text label version inside! VERY shady business practices if you ask me!! great way to treat the atari community! Thanks Joe!! :x

Rick

whoops. Rick Weis is right (say that three times fast) - kinda. It says on Atari2600.com that the barcode box MIGHT contain the blue label game.

Edited by Pant Load

Rick

Rick, this phenomena is actually an old topic. The first time I tried to point this out on AtariAge, one of the moderators removed my post (pointing out an ebay auction by an AA member that claimed a text label in a shrinkwrapped box). So I made a more politically correct posting pointing out that not all the later release boxes (those with bar codes and some with altered colors) contain the blue text label:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...c=49329&hl=

Photos show both Skiing and Ice Hockey with bar code boxes which contained the regular picture label carts. Funny that those two holes in the other photo (Bridge and Checkers) have never been filled since I posted that four years ago.

Rick

Rick, this is the actual description on Atari2600.com:

Skiing, Activision, New in barcoded and shrinkwrapped box. This box version is known to contain the rare blue text cartridge label variation. However, Activision also packed these same barcoded boxes with the original illustrated label cartridges. There is no way to determine which cartridge is inside a shrinkwrapped box. We will not open the shrinkwrapped box to determine which cartridge label variation is inside.

It sounds like they are not trying to hide anything to me. They just don't want to devalue the product by cutting it open. Me I always cut a slit at the top and peak inside, but some people want it pristine.

It's likely that all of the ones from Atari2600.com don't have the text cart inside if yours didn't Pant Load. I imagine they got it as an unopened case or two. Has anyone else bought theirs off of Atari2600.com and looked inside?

Edited by Omegamatrix

Skiing, Activision, New in barcoded and shrinkwrapped box. This box version is known to contain the rare blue text cartridge label variation. However, Activision also packed these same barcoded boxes with the original illustrated label cartridges. There is no way to determine which cartridge is inside a shrinkwrapped box. We will not open the shrinkwrapped box to determine which cartridge label variation is inside.

It sounds like they are not trying to hide anything to me. They just don't want to devalue the product by cutting it open. Me I always cut a slit at the top and peak inside, but some people want it pristine.

It's likely that all of the ones from Atari2600.com don't have the text cart inside if yours didn't Pant Load. I imagine they got it as an unopened case or two. Has anyone else bought theirs off of Atari2600.com and looked inside?

i don't remember it saying that when i got mine. glad they updated it.

Rick

I'd be curious what the label variation collectors like Crunchy have seen more frequently.

White label Burgertime wasn't that big of a deal to find, actually.

Frogs'N'Flies is another matter. I've never seen one - anywhere. Several folks say "oh, I know I've had dozens of those over the years" - right! :roll: Show me one, just one - somebody here whip one out of your collection & post a pic. I thought not.

Closest I ever got was an auction about six months ago. If, in my searches, an auction doesn't show a pic, or spell it out as "Frogs and Flies", I investigate. This one seller replied that it was most certainly a white label, but it came off & she lost it right before the sale. :x

• 1 month later...

Rick

I need to read the rest of the thread still... but here's a quick answer for you:

I've bought 3 from Atari2600.com

All three did NOT contain a blue text version. :(

Two came with black and white instructions and one came with the color instructions.

i don't remember it saying that when i got mine. glad they updated it.

Rick

Rick... they changed it after I bought one and asked them to peek inside to make sure it was a blue text. I believe I am the laster person they did that for. I still pid for the game though, being that they opened it for me.

Right after, they changed the description. I think this was 3 months ago... perhaps 4.