IGNORED

Soul Calibur IV Thoughts

Gabriel

Good:

Very pretty graphics. Freakin' incredible.

It's lighter on the tedium of character unlocking this time around. Many of the characters can be unlocked from the very start with an initial allotment of cash, allowing you unlock about 5 of your favorites when you first play.

Character creation is still around, and this time the primary character styles are available right out of the gate.

Tira's critical finisher performed on Amy. Watch it and see.

Bewbs

Yoda is cool.

Bad:

The quest mode of the game is the lamest the series has seen so far. The exploration style and branching paths are gone, and replaced by a completely linear arrangement which manages to be about the most irritating and pointless thing ever.

Where are my mini-games? Tekken has the better history with sub-games, but after Chronicles of the Sword I was hoping Soul Calibur would embrace them too.

Where's 2 player tag? The game obviously supports human players having multiple playing characters against the AI. Why can't I do it against buddies?

The whole system of bonuses for different costume parts promotes completely retarded looking custom character designs. And it's very easy to put together an outfit that has worthless stats. Most of the game modes use those stats.

Voldo.

Yoda is an irritating little pissant.

I have the PS3 version....Vader kicks ass. The install option is sweet cause there are no load times.

I wish they would make Yoda and Vader available on both systems.

I agree the quest mode sucks.

I'm on the fence on this one, it could have been perfect yet it falls short somewhat.

What is wrong with Voldo?

I mean besides he was obviously raised by Marilyn Manson and a Cenobite?

I want to get this game soon. I have a free $25 giftcard to Gamestop coming, I may use it on SC IV

Nothing's wrong with Voldo, other than he's a cheap and irritating freak character.

I'm losing a lot to my friends. Which is odd, considering on every Soul Edge/Calibur game before, I completely pwn them.

• 1 month later...
Was Voldo in another game besides Soul Caliber? I remember playing a 3d fighter in the arcades a long time ago, and playing as Voldo, but I can't remember if it was the Soul Caliber or not, for some reason I don't believe it was a Soul Caliber game.

Perhaps you're thinking of the original Soul Edge? Voldo's been in the series from the very beginning, even before they changed the name... though I don't think he's been in any other games.

I wish they would make Yoda and Vader available on both systems.
My understanding is you will be able to obtain them via downloadable content in the future.
Not according to this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/01/no-star-...games-director/

My logic goes something like this: There is no point in having Vader and Yoda together in the series if there's no way to fight them against each other, therefor Namco MUST have some plan to eventually allow it. Can you imagine if it turned out in MK vs. DC, there was no way you could fight Joker and Batman against each other?

If you play story mode as Yoda, the ending suggests that there is some unfinished business... now, I haven't been playing the game for long, so maybe it's referring to the Apprentice, but I'm thinking they're referring to Vader.

--Zero