IGNORED

Here's one...

Joe Cool

Why?

One of the great advantages of the XL was that they got rid of it, so at least you could control the volume, or turn it off completely.

And in this day and age, the preferable mod is just a 3.5mm or RCA jack to run into HT system or a set of PC speakers.

Why?

One of the great advantages of the XL was that they got rid of it, so at least you could control the volume, or turn it off completely.

And in this day and age, the preferable mod is just a 3.5mm or RCA jack to run into HT system or a set of PC speakers.

Well,

I kinda miss it, myself.

I like the FIVE voice sound!

Anyone remember BUG ATTACK - played a SONG thru the console!

what is a HY? and 3.5mm is for what.

My first Atari hardware mod ever: unplug & remove the speaker from my 400. The keyclick noise drove me nuts...

The 800XL was a definite improvement, could just turn the TV volume down while coding, or turn the keyclick off with a POKE. If anyone had suggested adding an internal speaker to my 800XL back then, I probably would have thought they were insane... possibly driven insane by too much keyclick noise?

If I'd known how, it would have been cool to mod the 400, route the speaker sound to the TV (same as the XL). Anyone ever done that?

The only advantage of the internal speaker, the way I see it, is that it tends to give crisper sound. Probably because most sounds it's asked to produce are high frequency and not really well producable by most TV speakers (and TVs probably employ some low-pass circuitry too?)

remember those little toy clickers we has kids?

[

quote name=Urchlay' date='Tue Aug 5, 2008 11:59 AM' post='1564197]

My first Atari hardware mod ever: unplug & remove the speaker from my 400. The keyclick noise drove me nuts...

The 800XL was a definite improvement, could just turn the TV volume down while coding, or turn the keyclick off with a POKE. If anyone had suggested adding an internal speaker to my 800XL back then, I probably would have thought they were insane... possibly driven insane by too much keyclick noise?

If I'd known how, it would have been cool to mod the 400, route the speaker sound to the TV (same as the XL). Anyone ever done that?