IGNORED

Whatever happened to...

atari2600land

Why not trying to make something for the Atari 7800?

I've no interest in this machine at all. Its games library sucks, its graphics architecture sucks, its music architecture sucks. It's one of histories dead branches I've no interest to revive. And it holds zero nostalgia value for me - I thankfully never owned one back in the day.

That was harsh!

Its games library sucks, its graphics architecture sucks, its music architecture sucks.

But true.

I really can't believe that people here would stoop this low and insult the homebrew and hacks coders who've created some great games on the 7800 who post here.

Blah, I for one tinkered with the 7800 around aswell, and Maria is just that: an odd piece of junk. Unlike the TIA it's not even fun to write code for. Nobody insulted homebrewers or hack coders.

I took your comments as a direct insult considering the work I've put in.

You're free to read into my posts whatever you want. If it makes you happy, just feel insulted.

Well, I'd try to express an opinion, but you'd probably just put me on moderator preview again.

I guess pointed, insulting opinions are only reserved for the special people.

I've no interest in this machine at all. Its games library sucks, its graphics architecture sucks, its music architecture sucks. It's one of histories dead branches I've no interest to revive. And it holds zero nostalgia value for me - I thankfully never owned one back in the day.

That was harsh!

Its games library sucks, its graphics architecture sucks, its music architecture sucks.

But true.

I really can't believe that people here would stoop this low and insult the homebrew and hacks coders who've created some great games on the 7800 who post here.

Blah, I for one tinkered with the 7800 around aswell, and Maria is just that: an odd piece of junk. Unlike the TIA it's not even fun to write code for. Nobody insulted homebrewers or hack coders.

Read it how you want.

Cybergoth is a moderator here, and just last week he put my account on moderator preview for saying basically the SAME EXACT thing in a Colecovision thread here. I made a couple of jokes about all the arguing over homebrew CV games and the coders getting all biting with each other, and he said I was "Bullying" people and took away my ability to post without his approval first.

He's a hypocrite.

Last thing i heard is, that NES carts are very difficult to manufacture, any advances on this?

See here. Just noticed, though, that everything is "temporarily" unavailable. :ponder:

I think the main remaining hurdle is the lockout chip, though the "Ciclone" may be a solution; I can't tell from the website.

And I will say that, excepting homebrews/hacks/etc., the 7800 library does suck, the graphics hardware is goofy, and the sound hardware really really sucks.

However! I think the graphics hardware is kinda fun to program, there are solutions to the sound hardware. If there was a reliable source for bankswitch boards with a POKEY (and RAM?) onboard, that would go a long ways.

And speaking of "whatever happened to..."

Whatever happened to Robot City? Whatever happened to Prince of Persia? Whatever happened to all of TROGDOR's games? Whatever happened to Bruce Tomlin's various Genesis projects? Whatever happened to Incoming!? Whatever happened to Leprechaun?

:P

Of course, I'm one to talk...:ponder:

Last thing i heard is, that NES carts are very difficult to manufacture, any advances on this?

See here. Just noticed, though, that everything is "temporarily" unavailable. :ponder:

I think the main remaining hurdle is the lockout chip, though the "Ciclone" may be a solution; I can't tell from the website.

It's been a while since I last looked into this, but my plan for a first release was to do a simple 16K game and require people to cut a certain pin of the CIC counterpart inside their NESes :)

What was your plan for boards and cases?

Not sure if I had worked out all the little details :ponder:

I think I just assumed that when I had a good game ready the rest would fall into place with some hardware gurus just solving the remaining problems ;)

BTW: I just remembered that memblers from nesdev actually once had a board ready with those specs:

UNROM mapper #2, up to 256kB ROM, 8kB RAM for graphics. IIRC it even had a socket for a CIC, so it could be cannibalized if one didn't want to mod their NES.

That's kind of harsh. I wouldn't say the graphics architecture 'sucks'. It doesn't appear to be as good as it sounds on paper, though. I used to hold out hope for a 7800 homebrew scene but I've kind of lost interest in it too, begrudgingly.

And speaking of "whatever happened to..."

Whatever happened to Robot City? Whatever happened to Prince of Persia? Whatever happened to all of TROGDOR's games? Whatever happened to Bruce Tomlin's various Genesis projects? Whatever happened to Incoming!? Whatever happened to Leprechaun?

:P

Of course, I'm one to talk...:ponder:

I'd like both PoP and Leprechaun dusted off for Chimera. Let's just say I won't let them stay in vaporware land without some serious prodding.

That was harsh!

But true.

Not all the 7800 games suck. The original GCC titles were very good, especially the Williams ports like Robotron. Of course, in this day and age with MAME and such, "quirky" coinop ports like 2600 Space Invaders are kind of more interesting than so-close-but-not-perfect ones. It was really well suited to moving around a lot of small sprites against a solid background (i.e. the Williams type games). The problem was the 7800 was called upon to do games with larger sprites and fancier backgrounds to compete with the NES and that's where it fell apart.

Would you be willing to let someone continue where you left off?

I could really use someone to volunteer to finish off Death Derby. I have asked around but nobody's been willing to adopt it. I've noticed how much more advanced homebrews have gotten in the last few years which has kind of taken a lot of enthusiasm away from the project. I don't know if anyone will get that excited if I finish it in its minimalistic form.

:D

i used to collect the 7800 and it's games .... but it only took me a few months to complete that collection ... it's not really that exciting to be honest ...

atari 2600 for life! :evil:

Hallo Fish

Nun ja,ich glaube nicht,dass du alle 7800 Spiele hast.Es gibt einige wirklich seltene Teile,speziell wenn man auch Verpackungen sammelt.Zum Bsp. die NTSC Titlematch Wrestling Verpackung oder die PAL Baseball Box,um nur einige zu nennen.

Gruss Walter

Wow.

That's pretty heavy handed opinion.

:roll:

Good catch. It really is an opinion. Mine. Regarding a piece of hardware. Not an insult. Especially not insulting fellow homebrewing friends. In fact none here was even talking about existing 7800 homebrews. Or about the brave souls struggling with that ugly hardware. Actually Tom wrote a 7800 homebrew himself.

Hi Manuel

Which Homebrew for the 7800 did Tom wrote????

greetings Walter

Hi Cyber

Just saw,that Tom wrote "Robot finds Kitten" for the 7800,but this was some time ago.

greetings Walter

When do you people finally learn that it's written together and all in lowercaps, like so: "robotfindskitten"?

Yes, I'm responsible for rfk7800 (and soon a bunch of other rfk ports), and Harry Dodgson wrote Combat 1990.