IGNORED

Why Can't I Search for Adventure on eBay?

Captain Beard

Thanks for the help, but I think you're being being mislead by the quotes in my post -- I don't use them when I do a real search.

You are including the entire text of the auction, and the search applies to EITHER word.

No I'm not. It's a standard title only search. It's exactly how I search for every other cartridge.

Try using Advanced Search for the exact phrase.
I don't necessarily want the exact phrase. I want any auction with the words "Atari" and "adventure" in the title.

Again, that's how I search for every other cartridge -- this is the only one that returns hundreds of false hits.

Oops...I thought that the header+body was default. Very strange. If you notice, most of them do have ATARI entered someplace in the header. For those that don't (like the first hit, for example), they carry the word in another field.

I'd suggest using "Adventure 2600" instead for more relivant hits. "ATARI" is just too broad (downright misleading on some...what the heck is an "Atari NES"??

Oops...I thought that the header+body was default. Very strange. If you notice, most of them do have ATARI entered someplace in the header. For those that don't (like the first hit, for example), they carry the word in another field.

Yeah, but that search should only return hits if BOTH words are in the title.

I'd suggest using "Adventure 2600" instead for more relivant hits. "ATARI" is just too broad (downright misleading on some...what the heck is an "Atari NES"??
The problem is the word "adventure". Try just that. Over 64,000 hits! Almost none actually have the word "adventure" in the title. But try any other word: pitfall, reactor, threshold... only relevant hits.

The search engine doesn't like the word "adventure" for some reason and frankly, it's annoying. :x :D

I often find coleco games in my Atari searches that do not have the word Atari in the title. Not sure why they pop up but it's irritating. ebay's search tool is whack!

Next time you see that, check the "Make:" field, I bet that's what it is.

Perfect example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150284093451

I just asked eBay, we'll see what they have to say, but my guess is that the search engine considers "adventure" to be a genre of game, so it tries to supply games that fit the genre, such as that venerable adventure game "Frogger"! :roll:

Yep: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=140258881733

I just asked eBay, we'll see what they have to say, but my guess is that the search engine considers "adventure" to be a genre of game, so it tries to supply games that fit the genre, such as that venerable adventure game "Frogger"! :roll:

So the "title only" search function is actually searching the title and the little description box, eh?

I bet they call that bug a feature. :D

So the "title only" search function is actually searching the title and the little description box, eh?

I bet they call that bug a feature. :D

That bug wasn't there last year, so I guess so. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I just ran into this myself, trying to fix the eBay search links that are on the profile page for each game in the database. It just so happened that I was testing "Atari 2600 Adventure". The results are completely worthless. Took me about a minute to figure out that it was including any "Atari 2600" games that were tagged with the "adventure" genre. What in the hell? If I want to search for a genre, that should be an advanced search feature, not something that comes up in a standard, default search. Man I really hate eBay.

..Al

Took me about a minute to figure out that it was including any "Atari 2600" games that were tagged with the "adventure" genre.

..Al

Man, you're quick! It took us a whole discussion (see above)! :cool:

Well, I figured there had to be *SOME* reason for it, so I looked at a few of the auctions and saw that they all had the "Action, Adventure" tag for the genre. Who knows what other fields are matched for during searches. I then hunted down this thread as I remembered one with this title. Hadn't read it until today, though, but since I experienced this issue firsthand, I wanted to put my (late) two cents in. :)

..Al

;) Aren't you glad eBay helped out by adding that "feature"?

Greedy SOBs, they figure the more auctions they throw at a user, the more sales. I for one don't think too many people type "adventure" into the search engine to find "adventure games"... :roll:

If I may suggest: have it search for ("atari 2600 adventure", "adventure atari 2600","atari vcs adventure","adventure atari vcs") - at least you'll hit some of them without all the extra noise.

Greedy SOBs, they figure the more auctions they throw at a user, the more sales. I for one don't think too many people type "adventure" into the search engine to find "adventure games"... :roll:

Yep, that's the only reason I can even think of why they did that. God forbid someone type in a search and NOT get any results!

If I may suggest: have it search for ("atari 2600 adventure", "adventure atari 2600","atari vcs adventure","adventure atari vcs") - at least you'll hit some of them without all the extra noise.

Well, it's only an issue for extreme cases such as this. The links I have on the profile page for games is really just a starting point. If you want to refine the search to display more or less results, once you're at eBay that's easy enough to do. :)

..Al

• 1 month later...