IGNORED

EBay lowering fixed-price sellers' listing fees

jetset

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080820/tc_nm/ebay_sellers_dc_4

My favorite part. :D

Further changes eBay said it would make include a maximum shipping price for sellers in its media category, with incentives to offer free shipping, and requiring sellers to include at least one electronic payment method.

Although I don't agree with the forcing the electronic payment thing. It's their loss since tons of buyers will pass on the money orders/check only auctions...

OK, how is this good? All they are saying is that they are shifting focus away from online ending auctions to fixed priced auctions. Ebay forgot what made them great. Their auction system. It seems that Ebay just wants to be like every other online store now. In so doing they will be cutting their own necks. Also, if you read carefully they are making store items part of the overall auction search system now. So if you type in Atari 2600 Space Invaders in September you will get 129 auctions listed, 116 of which will be buy it nows. They are making very clear that they could care less for the online auction format. A format by the way that made them big in the first place. Why Ebay insists on destroying it's signature trait in what seperates them from everyone else is beyond me. They have pretty close to a monopoly in online auctions yet they don't want to be a online auction house. This is pure insanity and places like Chase The Chuckwagon will benefit greatly from their stupidity.

Edited by homerwannabee

It's smoke and mirrors. The big change they want is "requiring sellers to include at least one electronic payment method."

The other stuff was done to distract people so they wouldn't focus on the forced Paypal use.

Allan

It's not forced Paypal. They are also allowing for sellers to accept Propay. One of the few companies that charges more for their services. I would just love to hear how they would justify this is not braking the Anti-Trust laws by not allowing Google Checkout.

Edited by homerwannabee

It's smoke and mirrors. The big change they want is "requiring sellers to include at least one electronic payment method."

The other stuff was done to distract people so they wouldn't focus on the forced Paypal use.

Allan

It's not forced Paypal. They are also allowing for sellers to accept Propay. One of the few companies that charges more for their services. I would just love to hear how they would justify this is not braking the Anti-Trust laws by not allowing Google Checkout.

In other words, they are forcing Paypal. They tried strait out to force Paypal in Australia but it failed so I guess they figured they could offer one other expensive service that no one will use to introduce it. They are ruthless.

Allan

LOL, and did you read the real story on the eBay site where they are increasing most of the final value fees in the video game categories on "fixed price" listings to 15% of the final value fee? HAHAHAHAHAHHA, what a joke.

Good!! maybe that will draw more sellers away from ebay and over to CTCW! :)

Rick

LOL, and did you read the real story on the eBay site where they are increasing most of the final value fees in the video game categories on "fixed price" listings to 15% of the final value fee? HAHAHAHAHAHHA, what a joke.

Rick

I just hope CTCW gets bigger, exposure is still small on some instances...

Mods, this thread should be locked, there's already one called "eBay Shenanigans" that states the same stuff in more detail.

Rick

Mods, this thread should be locked, there's already one called "eBay Shenanigans" that states the same stuff in more detail.

This one was first though by 14 hours. :ponder:

Rick

This one was first though by 14 hours. :ponder:

All right, then updated with all the info from the other thread and that one closed? Whatever works, lol

OK, how is this good? All they are saying is that they are shifting focus away from online ending auctions to fixed priced auctions. Ebay forgot what made them great. Their auction system. It seems that Ebay just wants to be like every other online store now. In so doing they will be cutting their own necks. Also, if you read carefully they are making store items part of the overall auction search system now. So if you type in Atari 2600 Space Invaders in September you will get 129 auctions listed, 116 of which will be buy it nows. They are making very clear that they could care less for the online auction format. A format by the way that made them big in the first place. Why Ebay insists on destroying it's signature trait in what seperates them from everyone else is beyond me. They have pretty close to a monopoly in online auctions yet they don't want to be a online auction house. This is pure insanity and places like Chase The Chuckwagon will benefit greatly from their stupidity.

Well.. we agree, ebay has been making really stupid changes for the last year. They want to be more like Amazon.Why ? Amazon sucks! They also have this thing now where if you have say "atari 2600 pacman" and you have 4 of those items all listed as the same title ending at different times.. only one will show up in the search. To get aroung this each title must be unique like :atari pacman2600" "pacman atari 2600" and so on..

Not surprisingly, many sellers are pissed. Seems like no matter what, Ebay can do no right. Ah well. I see some of the crappier sellers are now NARU'd Good riddance. Sell your stuff on the front lawn saturday morning I suppose.

Actually ebay is losing good sellers in droves. Go buy your stuff at the local games store at 3 times the price now. Have fun!

Ebays philosophy is doomed to failure.