IGNORED

Ship to US Only--what to do when BIN hit by someone outside US?

Albert

I have some items listed on eBay with a BIN. I have shipping set to US only, yet someone in Mexico just hit the BIN on one of these auctions. There's no way in hell I'm shipping this item to Mexico, especially with a PayPal payment (which is the only means of payment I have listed). I obviously want to relist the item, but have some questions:

1) What can I do to prevent getting a negative feedback if I don't sell to this individual? It's clear in the shipping section of the auction that shipping is only to the United States.

2) I'd also like to get my fees back. This is a $350 item, so I paid to list it as well as the final value fees (not sure what they are off the top of my head, but I'm guessing this cost me at least $20 total). What can I do? I know I can file an Unpaid Item dispute, but then eBay will write the buyer and ask him or her to pay (and I'm sure the buyer will).

Thanks,

..Al

Well, I found that you can exclude people registered out of your "Ship To" area from bidding on auctions, but that doesn't help me with the auction that's already ended..

Picture_15.png

I did some reading and submitted eBay's "Unwelcome Buying" form, but not sure what they will do (and I don't expect a response before the weekend). Also looks like I can apply to get a credit for the "Final Value Fees". I also blocked the bidder. Asstard even wrote me before the auction ended and asked if he could buy the item, so he KNEW that I didn't ship beyond the US. And of course hit the BIN before I responded.

..Al

Well, I found that you can exclude people registered out of your "Ship To" area from bidding on auctions, but that doesn't help me with the auction that's already ended..

post-3-1219363345_thumb.png

I did some reading and submitted eBay's "Unwelcome Buying" form, but not sure what they will do (and I don't expect a response before the weekend). Also looks like I can apply to get a credit for the "Final Value Fees". I also blocked the bidder. Asstard even wrote me before the auction ended and asked if he could buy the item, so he KNEW that I didn't ship beyond the US. And of course hit the BIN before I responded.

..Al

I had this happen not long ago. I just emailed the buyer and told them, in a nice way, That I only ship in the US as stated as in the auction. He made a smart comment but then was pretty nice about it. You send out a mutual buyer and seller unpaid item agreement. He then agrees. Ebay then reverses the charges. It was pretty simple and he gave me a positive. I talked with ebay about it before I did it. I asked about the negative feedback he may leave. They said he could do it and they could not do anything about that. :x But mine worked out all right. :)

Thanks for describing your experience.. I haven't written the buyer yet, although I will try that route to see if he'll be combative.

I asked about the negative feedback he may leave. They said he could do it and they could not do anything about that. :x But mine worked out all right. :)

See, this is one of the things that seriously pisses me off about eBay. "Unwanted Buying" of this nature is clearly against eBay's rules, yet if a buyer leaves you negative feedback in this situation they won't do anything about it? Complete and utter bullshit, and it's stuff like that this will make people flock en masse to another auction service should it arrive.

..Al

Another problem I recently became aware of are cranks who conceal their feedback ratings. Ebay suggests you don't do this and forbids doing it if you want to sell. So a couple weeks ago I sold a ceramic figurine on consignment. It was just fine except for dust. The customer complained that it had severe crazing. Unfortunately I cannot put an automatic block on bidders who conceal their reputations. Then again, because buyers are exempt from getting bad feedback, does it matter anymore?

Doesn't help on this one, Al, but you probably want to go into your My Ebay. Under the Site Preferences, there is a section for buyer requirements. You can set this to block bidders from countries you don't ship to.

Why in the world they made this a 2 step process, I have no idea. You list the countries you ship to and then you have to go to another place to say 'Yeah, I really meant it.'

Typical Ebay mindless layers of confusion.

Doesn't help on this one, Al, but you probably want to go into your My Ebay. Under the Site Preferences, there is a section for buyer requirements. You can set this to block bidders from countries you don't ship to.

Yeah, I discovered that after the fact. I posted a screenshot of this in one of my earlier posts above. :)

Why in the world they made this a 2 step process, I have no idea. You list the countries you ship to and then you have to go to another place to say 'Yeah, I really meant it.'

Typical Ebay mindless layers of confusion.

I agree, it's pretty ridiculous, but not really surprising coming from the overly complex (and ever-changing) eBay system.

..Al

Al --

Try the live online help function: http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowCUPortal

I've used it several times with problems similar to this and they usually just walk you through whatever process you need to do to fix everything. If they can't fix it on the spot, they'll tell you exactly what you need to do.

I have some items listed on eBay with a BIN. I have shipping set to US only, yet someone in Mexico just hit the BIN on one of these auctions.

Have you checked with the buyer to make sure he doesn't have a US shipping address? He might be able to scoot across the border and nab it easily from a US address.

thanks for this thread as i didnt have mine set at all

ive had a few international bidders wanting to bid so i said it was ok (one from Brazil and 4 from Austrailia) and none of them actually bid on the items they were interested in so after that i keep saying NO when anyone asks now.

this week i had the same guy ask 3 times if i would ship to brazil on the same item, i dont think he understood the word NO in the 2nd reply so i blocked him incase he bid anyway - he had 0 feedback and the account was made in 2001