IGNORED

Best way to extend the warranty?

godslabrat

Just took my new 360 out of the box last night, and am looking at that Extended Warranty paperwork. Given the RRoD issues that we all know about, I'm definately interested in a little extra coverage. MS is offering 2 years for $70, which is nice, but seems pretty steep. Amazon will give me the same for $30, and I can get even more time beyond that, if I want it. Can anyone comment onthe quality of MS' extended warranty services, and if it's really worth paying more than double?

Yeah, as far as I know they all have a default 3 year warranty because they know how fubar the hardware is/was.

Hell, from what I've read from many other people, they are/were honoring the warranty on opened/modified consoles. Tho that might have been because they had such a high failure rate, they didn't have time to actually examine returned units and were just trying to get replacements out the door as quick as possible. I'd imagine now that the problem is slowly starting to improve, they probably won't be so laxed about that. :ponder:

The 3 year warranty only covers RROD but it's covered for all consoles regardless of when they were made. Everything else is limited to a year. Personally I don't think any extended warranty is ever worth the money. You'd basically have to have two separate parts fail for this warranty to be worth the money.

I was pretty happy with Microsoft customer service when mine got RROD. I bought a "refurbished" one from an online auction site that was DOA. Microsoft gave me absolutely no hassles about returning it.

That warranty at Amazon is offered by a company called N.E.W. Customer Service Companies, Inc. It looks like their business is to offer extended warranties and that's it. If I were you I'd stick with Microsoft if you're going to get an extended warranty.

Yeah, as far as I know they all have a default 3 year warranty because they know how fubar the hardware is/was.

Are you sure? I thought that was only for units made before a certain date (something like October of '07?). The ones made more recently had only the standard one-year. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know.

The 3 year warranty only covers RROD but it's covered for all consoles regardless of when they were made. Everything else is limited to a year.

Ah, yes, you are correct sir. 3 year RROD only.

Are you sure?

Nope. ;) See above. 1 year for normal failures, 3 years only for RROD.

I guess my question is, has the 360 ever failed for some reason other then RROD?

I got the extended through MS although the ones off Amazon are definitely cheaper. My guess is it takes a bit longer going through the other places though. Might want to check the reviews on Amazon, as far as I know folks can leave review for the sevice as well as products.