IGNORED

5200 Controller Blue Flex circuit

ninermaniac

I should have a blue circuit around here somewhere. When I ordered 4 non-working 5200 controllers (in order to try and get another controller working), one of the 4 actually had the blue circuit in question. I'll see if I can dig it up. But, I also remember that it doesn't have any special markings but works very well; even with worn or corroded carbon contacts.

I think the white and blue flex circuit boards are the best flex circuit boards for the Atari 5200 controller. The green flex circuit boards don't last that long. Some green versions work good at first then break later and some green versions don't work that good even when new then break later. The most time you can get out of the green flex circuit boards is 1 year or 1 year and a half before they break. This is not about how long you have the green flex circuit boards. It is how much you use them. If you want to store your Atari 5200 controllers for a very long time then store them in a non dirty area. Storing your Atari 5200 controllers in a dirty area for a very long time can cause them to collect dirt and corrode them as they age and when you take them back out to play your Atari 5200 again your controllers will no longer work.

• 6 months later...

Get The ATARI 5200 Wico joystick for the ATARI 5200. They are much better because they have a self centering joystick and the fire buttons work better too. You must have the wico Y cable to connect it to your ATARI 5200 and you need the wico keypad to access the START/PAUSE/RESET AND THE KEYPAD or use the ATARI 5200 TRAC BALL CONTROLLER for the START/PAUSE/RESET AND KEYPAD Instead if you can't find the wico keypad. The ATARI 5200 TRAC BALL CONTROLLER is a good alternative for the START/PAUSE/RESET AND KEYPAD. Don't buy a shitty controller for the START/PAUSE/RESET AND KEYPAD because they will brake a year later. I had ATARI 5200 CONTROLLERS with the rare white flex circuits and they broke after a year of use. I said The white flex circuits where good in the forums before but now I realize All ATARI 5200 CONTROLLERS by ATARI are pieces of shit even the gold rebuilt controllers. I bought the gold repair kit and it did not work as good and the gold was flaking off the flex circuit.

• 3 weeks later...

The ATARI 5200 Controllers only last 1 year or 1 year and a half or 2 years if you are lucky. The Wico controllers for the ATARI 5200 work good wile they last but the plastic eventually wares out. When the plastic wares out the self centering locks break. When this happens the self centering keeps failing when you use the joystick and it is no good anymore. There is no true well made analog joystick for the ATARI 5200. If you are going to buy an ATARI I recommend you buy an ATARI 2600 or an ATARI 7800. DON'T BUY AN ATARI 5200!

Edited by mario-mushroom

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

I just bought 2 gold Atari 5200 controllers used from a seller on ebay and they were horrible. The gold connector that connects to the controller cable was in very bad condition in both controllers. One of them had broken fire buttons but only the upper fire buttons. I replaced both flex circuits in both controllers. Someone on best electronics website said the gold contacts break in a few months. Someone on ebay said the gold contact controllers will last forever. I don't think they will last forever. I think it will last a short time.

Edited by mario-mushroom

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed my broken wico controller for my Atari 5200. I took it apart and I swaped the springs and it fixed the self centering locks. I said before there is no well made joystick controller for the Atari 5200 but now I realize the wico controller is well made. I also said never buy an Atari 5200 In the past but only buy it if you are going to buy the wico controller. The wico controller has a self centering joystick and two fire buttons. The big fire button is the same as the lower fire buttons on the original controller and the small fire button is the same as the upper fire buttons on the original controller. The wico joystick is analog. You need the wico Y cable to connect the wico controller to your Atari 5200. You will also need the wico keypad or the track ball controller to access the START/PAUSE/RESET and NUMARIC KEYPAD. The track ball is very good but it only works on some games due to it being a track ball instead of a joystick. I don't recommend you use the original joystick controller to access the START/PAUSE/RESET and NUMARIC KEYPAD or for anything because that controller is crap and it will break after a year or a year and a half. If you are using the gold contact controller it will break a lot sooner. It will not last forever like they say. The Track ball controller is well made but not the joystick controller. I don't have a wico keypad so I don't know how good it is but every one says it's very good. I use the track ball controller for the START/PAUSE/RESET and NUMARIC KEYPAD. I have two wico joysticks, two track ball controllers and two Y cables and they all work very good. The Wico is Expensive but it is worth it.There is two red switchs on the wico joystick for calibrating. The secret about the Atari 5200 console it self is that there is a calibrating knob on the mother board and there is a color setting knob on the mother board NO JOKE! You have to take the console apart to get it. TAKE MY WORD FOR IT YOU DON'T WANT THE CRAPPY JOYSTICK CONTROLLER GET THE WICO!