IGNORED

Recommend 2 or 4 port version of 5200?

OldSchoolRetroGamer

Just wondering, I want to get one and I know there are some differences but if given the choice would you prefer the 2 or 4 port version?

My choice is the 4 port.

The 2 port is incompatable with a couple of games, but works with the VCS adaptor. Uses regular rf switchbox.

The 4 port works with all games. Doesn't natively work with the VCS adaptor, but can be easily "fixed" so it does. Uses the automatic switching rf switchbox, can be more or less easily retrofitted to work with a regular switchbox (or I believe anyone of the later automatic rf switchboxes from the Genesis, NES, etc. can work without any modifications at all.)

Uses the automatic switching rf switchbox, can be more or less easily retrofitted to work with a regular switchbox (or I believe anyone of the later automatic rf switchboxes from the Genesis, NES, etc. can work without any modifications at all.)

The power supply plugs directly into the switchbox on the the 4 port version so I don't know if the newer switchboxes would work or not. I would just go with the 2 port version so I didn't have to worry about that issue.

Uses the automatic switching rf switchbox, can be more or less easily retrofitted to work with a regular switchbox (or I believe anyone of the later automatic rf switchboxes from the Genesis, NES, etc. can work without any modifications at all.)

The power supply plugs directly into the switchbox on the the 4 port version so I don't know if the newer switchboxes would work or not.

DUH, yeah, I forgot about that part. Power supply. Which is sad because I have one, and was just looking at the thing a few months ago. Anywho, so you would still need to mod the console with it's own power jack to beable to use those newer switch boxes anyways, might as well just finish the rest of the mod, and make it use a regular switch box.

Just wondering, I want to get one and I know there are some differences but if given the choice would you prefer the 2 or 4 port version?

My choice is the 4 port.

The 2 port is incompatable with a couple of games, but works with the VCS adaptor. Uses regular rf switchbox.

The 4 port works with all games. Doesn't natively work with the VCS adaptor, but can be easily "fixed" so it does. Uses the automatic switching rf switchbox, can be more or less easily retrofitted to work with a regular switchbox (or I believe anyone of the later automatic rf switchboxes from the Genesis, NES, etc. can work without any modifications at all.)

I think the genesis or nes rf should work but only if you do a direct power mod to the 4 port.

Hmmmmmmmm, lots to think about, OK, let me change it up a bit, I am getting confused........................

I DON'T really care about being able to use th 2600 adaptor I mean I have a Colecovision so I could get the 2600 adaptor for that, or I might eventually get a 7800 or hell even a actual 2600, so I really don't see that as an issue...........

I have many friends but at my age none are really into gaming let alone Classic gaming so not likely anoyone but me will ever play it..........

Exactly how many and what games don't work with 2 port version? is it a deal breaker? Hmmmm...........

How hard is it to get (or do myself) the 4port BIOS on the 2 port system? Damn I am more undecided than ever!

I plan on getting a 5200 USB multicart so I think I would like all games compatible, I don't care if it's the weird AC adaptor / RF combo unit as long as it works?

OK, I think I am leaning towards a 4 port.................. :?:

Exactly how many and what games don't work with 2 port version? is it a deal breaker? Hmmmm...........

If I recall correctly, three (3)

Krazy Shootout, Mountain King & Pitfall.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

How hard is it to get (or do myself) the 4port BIOS on the 2 port system?

Swap the bios chip with one from a 4 port console.

EDIT; Only issue here is it may or may not be soldered to the mobo. So how "easy" it is will depend on that factor and how good your soldering skills are if needed.

Edited by Artlover

If I recall correctly, three (3)

Krazy Shootout, Mountain King & Pitfall.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

How hard is it to get (or do myself) the 4port BIOS on the 2 port system?

Swap the bios chip with one from a 4 port console.

EDIT; Only issue here is it may or may not be soldered to the mobo. So how "easy" it is will depend on that factor and how good your soldering skills are if needed.

Despite living in the UK (5200 never available here) I have imported 6 or more over the last couple of years, and all the motherboards have been socketed.

If you are keeping the system hooked up all the time via rf to your TV a 4 port is best because it will only have a single wire coming from the console. Easy to manage.

If you plan on doing a video mod to the system get a 2 port and if you care about the 3 games that wont work on it throw a 4 port bios in it.

Hmmmmmmmm, lots to think about, OK, let me change it up a bit, I am getting confused........................

I DON'T really care about being able to use th 2600 adaptor I mean I have a Colecovision so I could get the 2600 adaptor for that, or I might eventually get a 7800 or hell even a actual 2600, so I really don't see that as an issue...........

I have many friends but at my age none are really into gaming let alone Classic gaming so not likely anoyone but me will ever play it..........

How hard is it to get (or do myself) the 4port BIOS on the 2 port system? Damn I am more undecided than ever!

I plan on getting a 5200 USB multicart so I think I would like all games compatible, I don't care if it's the weird AC adaptor / RF combo unit as long as it works?

OK, I think I am leaning towards a 4 port.................. :?:

I have two 2-port 5200's. I agree with the 2600 aspect (get a 2600 adaptor for your Colecovision for a few $ and be done with it). I didn't want to be bothered with the 5200's 4-port "mandatory" switchbox - I just plug the stock system into the TV cable adaptor (you know, the old Radio Shack Phono-to-F Adapter for $4 or whatever) and play. Generally, if you can get a really good deal on a nice, clean 5200 system with repaired controllers then go for it, regardless of whether it's a 2 or 4 port.