IGNORED

If you're bored, post here.

My question (which I didnt word right originally) is will buying a Wii satisfy my thirst for something new or will it seem like Gamecube 1.5 with a new controller. Will I still feel like I am left behind when the new shooters come out?

As a GameCube fan, I keep running into a problem with the Wii. Many of the games I feel like getting, I actually decide I need to play the Cube version first, as I love the Cube controllers and library. Before I get the new Metroid, I still have to play Prime 2. Before playing the Fire Emblem game, I want to play the Gamecube one. I have Twilight Princess on the Gamecube. I prefer the feel of Mario Sunshine to Galaxy, so I really need to give Sunshine a real go before bothering anymore with Galaxy. I really like RE:4 for the Wii, but I actually want to pick up a GC copy because I prefer the GC controller. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of new and interesting Wii games. Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Boom Blox, Lost Winds, etc, but to tell the truth, I could spend the generation just as easily enjoying filling out my Gamecube collection, as those games (outside lost winds) don't do it for me much. I think it's a single player versus multiplayer thing. When I have a friend around to play Smash Bros Brawl, I love it. When me and my father have a bowling match, it's very fun. However, when there's not another player around (much of the time now that me and my friends have been blown to the four corners of the earth) the Wii-centric games don't do it for me, and so I'm left with Gamecube sequels with similar graphics and a controller I don't like as much.

It's odd. Having finally liked a Nintendo console a lot (the Gamecube is tied with the Genesis as my second favorite system of all time) I figured Nintendo's next console would be a sure hit for me. It hasn't panned out that way.

Edited by Atarifever

Yeah Yeah, we get it, you hate the Wii.

I'm saddened that I'm so easily dismissed in a thread which specifically asks for a range of opinions from people who both like and dislike the system.

I don't really hate the wii, it's just not worth my time yet. Once the price comes down and the game library gets up there, I'll buy one. I did the same thing with ps2, and I like it just fine these days. I rather like the wii controller, it's fun to browse menus with, however my gaming 'killer app' hasn't come out yet, or even close.

still the jvc x'eye shipped with an activator controller comparision works on quite a few levels. unique controller, backwards compatability, new features and games not available before on the last console. granted there were available addons for the last console which break the logic somewhat. x'eye was released a year after 3do, which is fairly squarely 'next gen' from it. It's a really blurry line for wii as far as which generation it's really in.

Thats kinda how I feel about Xbox 360, not worth the time. My last xbox got 2-3 titles and now just does duty as a dvd player. The wii however gets used fairly often though more often with a crowd than alone.

If Nintendo Wii is "Next Gen" then so is the Atari Flashback 2. :)

It's actually a 2600, so it has no generation. It is all generations. Forever. It has been produced in every decade since (and including) the 1970s. By comparison everything else has a terribly short silly little life.

Heck, with a bit of work and some cheap parts plus some new games from AA you could argue the 2600 is still a currently supported system, with the last version of the hardware released a couple short years ago, and (at least here) still in stock at some stores this past Christmas. Lets see the PS3 beat that in 30 years.

At least a PS3 stands an outside chance of still working in 30 years time unlike a certain other competitor's console! :lol:

What, did Sony finally figure out how to build laser diodes that don't self destruct? :P

You know I've wondered how many of the PS2's 120 million sales or whatever were from replacement systems. The Gamecube basically never breaks and the Xbox (original) barely ever breaks without some form of blunt force trauma, while I've never personally (and I am of course only speaking from personal real life experience only) known anyone who had a working PS2 for the entire generation.

At least a PS3 stands an outside chance of still working in 30 years time unlike a certain other competitor's console! :lol:

What, did Sony finally figure out how to build laser diodes that don't self destruct? :P

You know I've wondered how many of the PS2's 120 million sales or whatever were from replacement systems. The Gamecube basically never breaks and the Xbox (original) barely ever breaks without some form of blunt force trauma, while I've never personally (and I am of course only speaking from personal real life experience only) known anyone who had a working PS2 for the entire generation.

I have one of the original release PS2 model that everyone complains about. Mine is still working fine. Gotta agree, gamecube is fine and my DVDplayer Xbox is just fine as well. Dreamcasts seem to have been very good as well.

I've got a middle run PS2 (v7 mobo), had it since 2004.

It's always been problematic. Sometimes I have to completely power cycle the thing several times before it will see a disc. If I switch formats (like playing PS2 then switch to a PS1 disc), have to power cycle again. Same the other way; from PS1 to PS2. Now, once I get it to start seeing discs of a particular format, I can switch games no problems, till I switch formats again or turn it off for more then a day or two.

And why I say power cycle, I don't just mean turning it off to red light, I mean flipping the switch on the back.

It's not dirty either, already checked that. Just the way it's been, always. :x

My first Gamecube broke. I used to be able to get it going by manually giving the disk a spin and then closing the door. That worked for months, but eventually it pooped out altogether.

I imagine all disk consoles will eventually crap out over time. The early consoles didn't have any moving internal parts.

Moving parts wear out over time no way around it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Wii next generation: YES

Does it live up to the Hype: NO

I own a Wii, and frankley I've been finding it to be a huge let down because it doesn't take full advantage of the technology it has. It's game library is flooded with kiddy games, and inferior ports of PS3 and 360 games. At times the Wii Mote makes things more challenging then they need be, and the Miis you create often times do little more then take up space on the hard-drive, though you can use them in a few games like Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games and Wii Sports.

It's a good system, but at times it's a system that feels like Nintendo only put it out to make money off of it.

Well, in terms of the definition of "next generation", then yes, it fits the bill. However, living up to the hype is another thing. I haven't bothered to invest in getting one myself, actually. I went for it's older brother the Gamecube and have been collecting games for that system.

To me, it's always seemed that the Wii is meant to be played with people in your house and across the world. It's geared around a connection to others all over the place. I mean, if you can't or won't go online with it and have no friends that like video games, what's the point? Of course it plays single-player versions of it's games, but heck, I have a Gamecube and I can do that with it.

It was the top reason I didn't get one initially, is that I'm an older gamers and none of my friends seem remotely interested in video games. My wife will not play any games with me on my Gamecube, and most of my other friends have other things they'd rather be doing. Don't get me wrong. The Wii looks interesting but to me it's not worth the investment to get the console and games. I can collect Gamecube games for far cheaper.

I'm done with the "next generation" or "modern" consoles myself. I think I'd personally prefer to play an older system than a newer one these days.

Steve

The Wii faces a huge problem in the future: The death of the PS2.

As it is now, most of the big name multi-platform titles that are developed are split into two builds... one for the 360 and PS3 (and sometimes PC)... and another for the PS2 and Wii (and sometimes PSP). Once the PS2 is dead and buried, third parties will be left with two options:

1. Continue to develop a separate version for the Wii.
  2. Try to work Wii support into the main development branch with the 360/PS3 version.

Option #1 will result in greater financial risk, as there won't be a PS2 version to subsidize the expenses. Because of this, my guess is that most companies will go with option #2. This has it's own problems though, as the Wii version will be even more of an afterthought than it is now, meaning lots of bad ports on the horizon. Hopefully I'm wrong, but only time will tell.

--Zero

The Wii faces a huge problem in the future: The death of the PS2.

That's not a problem. That's a SOLUTION.

1. Continue to develop a separate version for the Wii.
  2. Try to work Wii support into the main development branch with the 360/PS3 version.

Option #1 will result in greater financial risk, as there won't be a PS2 version to subsidize the expenses. Because of this, my guess is that most companies will go with option #2. This has it's own problems though, as the Wii version will be even more of an afterthought than it is now, meaning lots of bad ports on the horizon. Hopefully I'm wrong, but only time will tell.

Either option is bound to be better than porting PS2 codebases. Whenever the Wii gets a PS2 port, it inevitably has crap for lighting, no visual effects, a poor interface, and just generally looks like something from the first generation of 3D games. If developers are forced to work with the Wii independent of the PS2, perhaps they can create something that actually matches the system's capabilities. (Fer' Christ sake, is it so hard to at least make it look like a GAMECUBE game?)

Case in Point: Harmonix contracted out to make a half-ass port of Rock Band for the PS2. When it came time to create a Wii version, did they use the codebase that had networking, storage, and real-time 3D graphics? NO! They ported the crap-tastic PS2 codebase that used pre-rendered movies, had no networking, no storage, and lacked nearly all the features that made the game unique. If Harmonix had been forced to work from their 360/PS3 codebase, perhaps they would have actually implemented some of these features rather than laying blame on Nintendo, Activision, and anyone else they could use as a scapegoat.

Case in Point: Harmonix contracted out to make a half-ass port of Rock Band for the PS2. When it came time to create a Wii version, did they use the codebase that had networking, storage, and real-time 3D graphics? NO! They ported the crap-tastic PS2 codebase that used pre-rendered movies, had no networking, no storage, and lacked nearly all the features that made the game unique. If Harmonix had been forced to work from their 360/PS3 codebase, perhaps they would have actually implemented some of these features rather than laying blame on Nintendo, Activision, and anyone else they could use as a scapegoat.

The reason for using the PS2 codebase and not the 360/PS3 one could of course be that it's a much faster approach than trying to implement the codebase from a much more powerful machine on the wimpy Wii? Probably Harmonix didn't think the Wii version would sell enough copies to make it worth the money to incorporate all the features you want. And what do you think they should have used for storage? SD cards? Yeah that would of course have been very conveniant.....

Another way to look at it would be that if Harmonix had been forced to work from the PS3/360 codebase and hadn't had the PS2 base to work from they simply wouldn't have put out a Wii version since they don't think they will make back the investment they'd have to put into creating the Wii version....

oh and the blame for the practically non existant storagefacilities on the Wii lands squarely in Nintendo's lap.

The early consoles didn't have any moving internal parts. Moving parts wear out over time no way around it.

But don't cartridge connectors wear out also? I've replaced the connector on my NES multiple times.

Mendon

right, and outside of the lousy connector they put on the NES, connectors never wear out. NES units clean up pretty well though, and don't really need replacing. Especially if one 'fixes' nintendo's zero insert force mistake while they're in there cleaning it.

I don't think I've ever heard of another system needing a cart slot swap. hit it with some electronics cleaner every few years and it's fine.

I have a Wii and a 360.

I'm a long time Nintendo fanboy and wouldn't miss the latest of what Nintendo puts out.

It's also THE champion system for multiplayer gaming: the way Wii Sports brings in non-gamers, a few collections of minigames that use the controller in cool ways, stuff like Boom Blox, Excite Truck, and then the latest + greatest of stuff you've seen before: Kart, Smash, Strikers, etc.

In terms of A-list single player games I loved, it was Twilight Princess (not next gen, properly) and Mario Galaxies, which was super-nifty. And there's a huge range from the GC days, Chibi Robo, Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction, etc etc.

But in terms of A-list single player games, I've gotten more enjoyment out of my 360... games that because of technical limitations, probably aren't so do-able on Wii; Crackdown, Gears of War, Bioshock, Halo 3, odd ball b-list beauties like Earth Defense Force 2017, GTA IV, and now Mercenaries 2. It's not just graphics; some of these games (esp Crackdown) depend on more horsepower for showing more things w/ more physics (and w/ great draw distance, which I guess is kind of graphicy)

Also I would give 360 the edge for Xbox Live Arcade over the Wii's downloads; there's a ton of free demos and a lot of cool Indy stuff there, though Nintendo has the edge in retro-emulation.

In conclusion: If you're a social, couch gamer, Wii is your friend; for more traditional action adventure (heh, I guess, "lots of shootin'") stuff, you might well be better served with the 360.

(I do love what a great travel system Wii is-- I like how Nintendo starts w/ nice sized consoles, rather than Sony's "lets shrink it down and sell more of the same")