IGNORED

Xbox 360 arcade a good deal?

Warriorisabouttodie

Hi I am reading all over the Xbox arcade package will be coming down to 200 dollars. I have been itching lately to buy a new console (still chugging away with my cube!) and at that price it seems perfect. I understand it doesn't come with a HD, but will I be able to play Halo 3 or a couple new games without a HD? I really want to get into the new generation but money is kind of tight (at least for videogames!) so for me if I could play a couple new games and then buy a HD later that would be perfect. Anyway I would appreciate any pro's or con's from people that know what they are talking about because even though it's only 200 dollars I don't want to end up with a overpriced door stop!!!

thanks!!!

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

There will be a handful of XBLA titles you won't be able to play, you won't be able to play demos, you won't be able to use some DLC, but you'll have the ability to enjoy most 360 games without any issues. The memory cards are big enough now where its not as big of a disadvantage as it once was, and it seems likely hard drive prices will be going down soon, including the discontinuation (I believe) of the 20 gig hd.

So you might be able to score a hd cheaply down the road.

You also should take into account that it doesn't have a wireless controller, and only includes composite cables.

There will be a handful of XBLA titles you won't be able to play, you won't be able to play demos, you won't be able to use some DLC, but you'll have the ability to enjoy most 360 games without any issues. The memory cards are big enough now where its not as big of a disadvantage as it once was, and it seems likely hard drive prices will be going down soon, including the discontinuation (I believe) of the 20 gig hd.

So you might be able to score a hd cheaply down the road.

You also should take into account that it doesn't have a wireless controller, and only includes composite cables.

I was under the impression it did come with a wireless controller.. the cable thing is a bummer since I was looking forward to using it with my LCD tv in HD.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

I was under the impression it did come with a wireless controller.. the cable thing is a bummer since I was looking forward to using it with my LCD tv in HD.

Yep it does come with a wireless controller.

Does you TV have an HDMI port? If so just pick up an HDMI cable. You can buy them cheap.

It is not worth getting a 360 without a hard drive. There is simply too much stuff that you can't do otherwise. MS shouldn't even be allowed to sell an HDD-less 360 in my opinion.

This is like saying that Atari shouldn't have been able to sell the 400 because it couldn't use disk based programs or programs requiring more than 16K. The Arcade serves a purpose as being the low end system that allows people to experience most, but not all that the Xbox can do. It's not like the Arcade can't do anything.

Tempest

I just recently picked up a 360 for many of the same reasons you mentioned. The Elite was nice, but just too much money to shell out at once. I did the math and figured that the Arcade + HDD would be almost the same price as an Elite, plus I'd get the composite cables, which would be handy in case I needed to patch my 360 into my DVR (my primary connection will be HDMI anyway, so the component cables are useless to me). Being able to spread out the cost of the system worked to my advantage this time around.

With the money I saved, I bought an extra controller. In the near future, I'll need that way more than the HDD.

It is not worth getting a 360 without a hard drive. There is simply too much stuff that you can't do otherwise. MS shouldn't even be allowed to sell an HDD-less 360 in my opinion.

This is like saying that Atari shouldn't have been able to sell the 400 because it couldn't use disk based programs or programs requiring more than 16K. The Arcade serves a purpose as being the low end system that allows people to experience most, but not all that the Xbox can do. It's not like the Arcade can't do anything.

Tempest

Do you have the sales figures handy? I'd really like to know just how many Arcades they've sold compared to the other SKUs. I think most people are smart enough to realize you need the HDD, especially if you are going to be using Live in any form. The memory cards are highly overpriced, you would never convince anyone those are actually worth the money, and if you did you'd be lying through your teeth. The Arcade comes with a single 256mb memory card, which is even worse of a deal, considering that the PRO bundle upgrade is only $20 more investment. I understand the concept, but I disagree that it's a value bundle, and I don't think it's worth buying, but I will acknowledge it comes with a couple of decent Live games.

We're talking value here, what kind of value is this:

20 GB hard drive = $89.99 (Amazon)

2 x 512mb (1GB) memory cards = $85.98 (Amazon)

I think we can all agree that both items are grossly overpriced, but being priced what they are, I'll stand by my opinion that an extra $20 for a Pro bundle is more 'valuable', even without the Live games. Plus, the PRO comes with Component cables, as opposed to Composite with the Arcade. Composite cables are cheap and crappy. I'll bet though that MS makes more profit from the Arcade bundle.

Edited by Gunstarhero

I wouldn't worry about the HDD, people talked me into getting the system witht he Hard Drive and Almost a year later, I still haven't even hooked it up (the HDD I mean) Despite what I was told, I havent' run into any problems with the memory card, and I understand theres even a bigger one now, though the only ones I've ever seen are the 512's so I don't know :\ Our store has a habbit of sucking though, so it's probably just a cas3e of we don't got the others.

I got a related question. I'm looking into picking up the arcade just cause I'll have a backup (and not have to lug the one around :lol: )

My old 360 didn't have a HDMI port, but I understand the Arcade ones do. So...do they? Or is it dependant on the one you get and if so, how do I tell?

How do you people without the HDD update the console? That's not a possibility is it? This Fall update coming is going to turn your 360 into a Netflix set top box, you won't be able to utilize all the cool stuff coming soon.

The updates are to the system bios in the console.

How do you people without the HDD update the console? That's not a possibility is it? This Fall update coming is going to turn your 360 into a Netflix set top box, you won't be able to utilize all the cool stuff coming soon.

I'm not sure that's entirely true...are you sure?

I thought that 7GB of HDD space was reserved for console and game updates/patches.

I thought that 7GB of HDD space was reserved for console and game updates/patches.

You don't need a hard drive to update your system.

Here's the Fall 2007 update announcment taken from xbox.com:

This update will be digitally distributed over Xbox LIVE to the more than 8 million Xbox LIVE members worldwide (Xbox LIVE Silver and Gold) with no disc or hard drive required. Gamers without an Xbox LIVE account can easily sign up for the network by connecting their console to a broadband internet connection. New features and enhancements include:

I do think you miss out with the HD though. There are some extra content you wont be able to get, like Crackdown co-op, or the Oblivion expansions and I believe there are some games that you wont be able to play. Im thinking Soul Calibur IV requires the HD but I could be wrong. Not to mention all the free demo's, and videos etc....

I will never use the game console for movies or music. I have an iPod, DVDR, and a computer already. I just want to play some new games that I can't play on my Gamecube.

Never say never. You don't need a HD to play movies and listen to all you music. Simply attach your 360 to your PC and stream music and movies. The 360 is also compatible with the Ipod, just connect it via the USB port. This comes in handy when you want to add a custom soundtrack to games, or use the virtual light machine at your next party.

I will never use the game console for movies or music. I have an iPod, DVDR, and a computer already. I just want to play some new games that I can't play on my Gamecube.

Never say never. You don't need a HD to play movies and listen to all you music. Simply attach your 360 to your PC and stream music and movies. The 360 is also compatible with the Ipod, just connect it via the USB port. This comes in handy when you want to add a custom soundtrack to games, or use the virtual light machine at your next party.

I think you need the HD to use an iPod...I know you have to download something to make it compatible the first time you plug the ipod into the 360.

I am planning to buy a xbox360 as well. But i think i will save up the extra 65 euro to buy the 60gb premium version. A loose hdd 20 gb hdd will cost me 89 euro, and will provide me with 40gb less disk space.

But what i understand, a big plus for the xbox360 above the ps3 was that u don't need to install games, just put in a game disk and play. Or am i wrong?

But what i understand, a big plus for the xbox360 above the ps3 was that u don't need to install games, just put in a game disk and play. Or am i wrong?

I don't recall the PS3 requiring you to "install" games, just put the disc in and play. It has the option to copy games to the HDD if you wish for faster loading, but then so will the 360 on the next system update.