IGNORED

Getting My XBox Tomorrow. What Do I Need?

Tempest

I doesn't have to be a Jasper, but I'd like one of those newer boards that have the memory on only one side. That apperently helps the heat issue quite a bit.

Tempest

What does the manufacturing date have to be after to ensure you get one of those units?

I'll probably do Tempest_2084 like I usually do when Tempest is taken. Speaking of which, I'd better go register that quickly....

I got my Arcade this evening, but I haven't set it up yet. The manufacturing date is 7-22-08 which should have the memory on only one side of the board, but not the Jasper chip. The people at the other Best Buy I went to were actually competent, night and day difference...

Tempest

I'll probably do Tempest_2084 like I usually do when Tempest is taken. Speaking of which, I'd better go register that quickly....

I got my Arcade this evening, but I haven't set it up yet. The manufacturing date is 7-22-08 which should have the memory on only one side of the board, but not the Jasper chip. The people at the other Best Buy I went to were actually competent, night and day difference...

Tempest

Where do you look for the Manuf date?

The manufacturing date on the rear of the system next to the lot number and such.

I'm now officially on live as Tempest 2084 (no underscore). One thing I'm wondering is can you upload a personal gamertag picture or do you have to use the 12 or so they provide you (or buy new ones)?

Tempest

or do you have to use the 12 or so they provide you (or buy new ones)?

Tempest

You will accumulate more as you play games even Arcade games. For instance, put in Crackdown and you'll wind up with a Crackdown picture. Play Kameo and there will be a few Kameo pictures for you. I don't think every game gives you pictures but many do. Also there are many picture packs free on the Marketplace. Most are pretty lame, but some include some decent pics. Snag the Terminator ones, and there's one of the pictures from the movie Pathfinder I use often. I have 100's of pictures to choose from. I have bought a couple picture packs. Probably to use up a little bit of points...the rest were free. If you want to make your own, you'll need the camera and then only people on your friends list can see the picture. (Keeps people from spamming Live with pictures of their penis) My understanding is you cant design or upload any from your PC.

I wish you could see the themes before you buy them. There are a few that sound interesting, but I'mnot going to blow 150 points on them without seeing them first.

Tempest

There used to be a site that showed them as they appear on the dashboard. It's been gone now for a long time. I think it was run by young kids and they couldn't afford to keep it up. You can preview many of the wallpapers on Xbox.com, but not as they will appear on the dashboard. I have bought probably a half dozen and have been satisfied with them all. If you cant at least preview the wallpaper I'd skip it. Snag the free ones or make your own. You can use any jpeg for your background.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98795

:cool:

Edited by moycon

or do you have to use the 12 or so they provide you (or buy new ones)?

Tempest

You will accumulate more as you play games even Arcade games. For instance, put in Crackdown and you'll wind up with a Crackdown picture. Play Kameo and there will be a few Kameo pictures for you. I don't think every game gives you pictures but many do. Also there are many picture packs free on the Marketplace. Most are pretty lame, but some include some decent pics. Snag the Terminator ones, and there's one of the pictures from the movie Pathfinder I use often. I have 100's of pictures to choose from. I have bought a couple picture packs. Probably to use up a little bit of points...the rest were free.

Something that I really wish they'd update (and I've sent Email's suggesting such) is that when you are scrolling thru your collection of pic's trying to select one for use, that they have a title on every gamerpic much like they do with themes.

I have 100's of pic's and damn if I know what some of them are, what they are from or where I got them.

Mendon

I ended up getting the Penny Arcade theme (a bit busy but good) and the Dig Dug icons. Does anyone have the Tron theme? I was curious about that one.

I also got the Ikaruga theme, but it's a bit too busy in the background. It's not bad though.

Tempest

I didn't get a chance to look at it last night, but how does the voice chat in Live work? Is it always on or only active in games?

Also, what are some good things to spend Live points on? I downloaded Bionic Commando Rearmed, Rez HD, and some add-ons for my RPGs. I see a ton of arcade games up there, but with MAME I really don't have a reason to grab them (plus they're kind of pricey). What are some good original games? I'm waiting for Streetfighter II HD Remix, but that's not out yet. I hear Commando 3 is good though.

Tempest

You can voice chat any time with any friend. As of now, only 1 on 1 but with the new update coming, you'll be able to party chat with up to 4 I believe.

I picked up Castle Crashers. Game is fun and old skool but I can't really suggest too many because I don't play too much nowadays so hopefully someone else (ahem...Moycon) can give you some ideas.

Does anyone have the Tron theme? I was curious about that one.

I have the Disk of Tron Cityscape theme and like it very much. See for yourself below.

I also like the Soltrio Solitair themes.

Here is a link to some other theme previews:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/marketplace/themes.htm

As far as the Live content. IGN fairly recently started a Xbox Live section:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/

There some good stuff there. I have a bunch of the Arcade games, some of my favorites include

Assault Heroes 1 & 2

Brain Challenge

Carcassonne

Catan

Doom

Geometry Wars 1 & 2

Jewel Quest

Pac-Man Plus

Pinball FX

Poker Smash

Puzzle Quest

Soltrio Solitaire

There are plenty of other great games, but these are all ones I've invested many many hours in and still to this day pick up and play.

Many of the games I listed above include multiplay with 2 people, if you really like multiplayer and want some four way action, you cant go wrong with Aegis Wing for a start...Its free and damn good,

Also consider

Gauntlet

TMNT Arcade game

Also we currently get around the lack of more than 1 on 1 voice chat by just putting in Halo 3 and all getting in the same lobby. Makes deciding what to play easier if you have more than 2 people wanting to play something. You can switch back and forth between chat channels, but it's a pain.

post-544-1220724734_thumb.jpg

post-544-1220724741_thumb.jpg

post-544-1220724750_thumb.jpg

post-544-1220724758_thumb.jpg

post-544-1220724766_thumb.jpg

Edited by moycon

I didn't get a chance to look at it last night, but how does the voice chat in Live work? Is it always on or only active in games?

Depends on the game. Some games it's on all the time for everyone. Other games it's only on for the teams you're in. And of course you can customize it all you want not only within the games themselves (i.e. mute an annoying person singing in the mic in COD4), but also within the dashboard (manage profile -> privacy settings -> "Voice and Text").

Also, what are some good things to spend Live points on? I downloaded Bionic Commando Rearmed, Rez HD, and some add-ons for my RPGs. I see a ton of arcade games up there, but with MAME I really don't have a reason to grab them

That's not entirely true.. the leaderboards totally add that competitive arcade dimension back that you don't get emulating alone, where you can see who amongst your friends has the highest score in Robotron or Galaga, etc.

I recommend Pacman Championship Edition.. an amazing game. And of course Geometry Wars Evolved 2 for starters :)

p.s. I think themes are a friggin waste of time.. but that's probably just me :lol:

p.s. I think themes are a friggin waste of time.. but that's probably just me :lol:

Me too! :P

Seriously, so many themes just make it hard to view the menus. I've even bought the ATHF theme, don't use it. I've tired it anf others. I like the default the best.

To each their own.

Also, what are some good things to spend Live points on? I downloaded Bionic Commando Rearmed, Rez HD, and some add-ons for my RPGs. I see a ton of arcade games up there, but with MAME I really don't have a reason to grab them (plus they're kind of pricey). What are some good original games? I'm waiting for Streetfighter II HD Remix, but that's not out yet. I hear Commando 3 is good though.

Tempest

The only thing I've ever spent points on are XBLA games.

Off the top of my head...Pac-Man CE, and Geometry Wars are a couple of older ones that you should take a look at.

Great thing about XBLA is the demo versions. Try before you buy :)

Great thing about XBLA is the demo versions. Try before you buy :)

Oh yeah definitely. So it becomes kind of the "dummy" question to ask what's good on there since anyone can try anything they want first. Unlike on the Wii's VC and Wiiware (whatever it's called) where it's a crapshoot. I've definitely bought more stuff on Xbox Live than on the Wii, and have absolutely zero bias with both consoles pretty much equal in my eyes.

Edited by NE146

Oh yeah definitely. So it becomes kind of the "dummy" question to ask what's good on there since anyone can try anything they want first.

If you have hours to devote to checking out all that's available.

Can't says I blame Tempest for asking for suggestions. The offerings can become overwelming. :cool: